• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If pigs had wings, could they fly?

88 posts in this topic

I find it laughable when people make the annoying comments such as

"Wish I had the money to buy this but I just made a series of poor life decisions that now don't allow me to afford comics".

It's not nearly as annoying as the snake oil tactics of some sellers saying a book will improve with a pressing when you can clearly look at the book and see it has no chance of changing grade with the flaws it displays.

This place has become just as bad as a flea market judging by the level of hard work, ambition and knowledge some sellers display. It is about the same as the sellers sitting and rotting at a flea market.

"Wish I had the money to buy this but I just made a series of poor life decisions that now don't allow me to afford comics".

But this is not necessarily an indicator of a "buying tactic" or of dishonesty… it might just be true… :)

Honestly, I don’t find it laughable, it all depends whether it’s been said with other things in mind or not.

Some of the things I've read in this thread make me wonder if it is OK to be friendly, or if by doing so I risk some bitter old man yelling at me to get off of his lawn.

I know there is definitely instances of people 'threadkrapping', but I don't think these sort of 'friendly' comments are that. Most of them seem to be some form of "Nice book - wish I had it!"

But this is not necessarily an indicator of a "buying tactic" or of dishonesty… it might just be true… :)

Honestly, I don’t find it laughable, it all depends whether it’s been said with other things in mind or not.

It's easy to ascertain from people's posts which people can't afford certain comics based on their station in life, and that's ok.

My comment is directed more to the comic "addicts" here that would rather try to buy another comic then a quart of milk.

where both serious buyers and sellers can be found, and good will abounds.

As the years go on, it's become more a flea market then a community.

If CGC eliminated the sales area it would help rid the place of barnacles and wannabe dealers, taking advantage of the fee-free sales area, and you'd be left with a comic forum where real collectors *gulp* talked about comic books. Imagine that.

As the years go on, it's become more a flea market then a community.

My experience has been otherwise, and I've been here for over a decade. I have a group of long-term customers who are great to deal with, and have continued to find opportunities to buy from sellers of high integrity. Most of all, I've been privileged to participate in fundraising efforts to support fellow board members in need, which has been the most satisfying and meaningful aspect of being on these boards.