• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do Date Stamps make keys less desirable?

100 posts in this topic

Those that Hate them sell me all of yours at a nice discount please!

:wishluck:

Not sure why hating them would mean selling at a discount

Hate is a strong word.

Hate usually means I want to get rid of this ASAP...

Thus if someone wants to move books quickly discounting them usually does the trick!

I bought this BECAUSE of the date stamp- it is perfect! I can imagine the stock boy unboxing the months supply of comics on that Monday, and stamping them all with an apparently freshly inked stamp.

YogiBear26datestamp.jpg

Full date stamps are pretty cool. Date stamps don't bother me unless they distract from cover art. The same for hand written dates and distributor codes, though those are even less appealing if in the art area of the cover. Unless they are distracting they aren't a consideration when buying one way or the other for me.

I bought this BECAUSE of the date stamp- it is perfect! I can imagine the stock boy unboxing the months supply of comics on that Monday, and stamping them all with an apparently freshly inked stamp.

YogiBear26datestamp.jpg

This date stamp doesn't bother me at all as it looks well positioned and out of the way. But my question is: what if that same date stamp was over Yogi's face or smack in the middle of the cover? Would that make a difference to you or someone buying this book? Many people have responded so far that it probably would cause them to pass on buying it based on the position of the stamp.

+1

unless its somebody's birth date. Then it's a special situation. I might buy one

I was quite happy to find a book on my want list with my birthday. Otherwise they don't bother me. Unless it's one of those book that are literally covered with them.

SS3_zpsff110bb2.jpg

I love neat, clean date stamps placed peripherally. They add to the quality of age of the comic.

Grease pencil arrival dates and front cover autographs, on the other hand, are often much larger and more obtrusive, and I'd rather find copies without them.

Grease pencil arrival dates and front cover autographs, on the other hand, are often much larger and more obtrusive, and I'd rather find copies without them.

On pre-1970 books, I don't mind pencil or pen arrival dates, and on pre-1970 lower grade copies, I don't mind original kid owner name or signature as long as it isn't large or obtrusive. I actually like the kid owner name if its small and not on some character's face. It shows that some kid loved that book and he/she wasn't interested in preserving future value, but simply showing that it was his/her book.