• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Hoarding new issues

8 posts in this topic

So I have heard and seen 70's books like Ms. Marvel, Shazam etc come out by the case load recently. These were some big speculator books from the 70's. Would the print runs of most modern books suggest that this is not common place anymore? I went on a hunch and picked up 10 copies of the new Ms. Marvel # 1 last year. But is anyone still buying by the case load? Is there anybody picking up multiples of new Marvel or DC launches? The secondary market for New 52 Batman # 1 is ridiculous and makes me think that buying by the case load has not happened in a long time.

I bought most of my case lots in the mid 80's when indys were the

chase item and some dealers and investors sought to convert to cash.

Case purchases in the 70's tended to be rare.

So I have heard and seen 70's books like Ms. Marvel, Shazam etc come out by the case load recently. These were some big speculator books from the 70's. Would the print runs of most modern books suggest that this is not common place anymore? I went on a hunch and picked up 10 copies of the new Ms. Marvel # 1 last year. But is anyone still buying by the case load? Is there anybody picking up multiples of new Marvel or DC launches? The secondary market for New 52 Batman # 1 is ridiculous and makes me think that buying by the case load has not happened in a long time.
I think people are. If you read the modern threads people are buying large amounts but are dumping most right away, I don't think people are holding long term because of the amount of money involved

And I think people are buying more Image #1s than Marvel or DC

I think people are. If you read the modern threads people are buying large amounts but are dumping most right away, I don't think people are holding long term because of the amount of money involved

And I think people are buying more Image #1s than Marvel or DC

This by far. I mean, at this point, whats the chances of the 500th reboot of Iron Man and Captain America # 1 being worth anything? With each Image # 1 though, it is a brand new story with an unknown potential.

It's incredibly common still. The only difference is hoarders and speculators is nearly all that's left in the direct market mainstream modern floppy game, which is why the worst selling Marvel comic still sells three times the best selling Dark Horse comic. So yeah, the print runs are lower. But in the 1970's I'd say 80% of the print run was selling to adolescent readers. Today I'd say 99.9% of the print runs are selling to adult speculators who carefully back and board every issue. Anything from this era in less than 9.6 will be absolutely worthless, unless it was something outside the mainstream with an incredibly small print run that went on to get it's own TV show, movie, video game, and ride at Disneyland.

It's incredibly common still. The only difference is hoarders and speculators is nearly all that's left in the direct market mainstream modern floppy game, which is why the worst selling Marvel comic still sells three times the best selling Dark Horse comic. So yeah, the print runs are lower. But in the 1970's I'd say 80% of the print run was selling to adolescent readers. Today I'd say 99.9% of the print runs are selling to adult speculators who carefully back and board every issue. Anything from this era in less than 9.6 will be absolutely worthless, unless it was something outside the mainstream with an incredibly small print run that went on to get it's own TV show, movie, video game, and ride at Disneyland.

Exactly what I keep saying! Condition, condition, condition!