• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silk appreciation thread - ongoing series

669 posts in this topic

I hit 6 LCSs in the past two weeks and asked the owners/staff what their orders were for Silk and Spider-Gwen. The answers varied from 2x to 3x the amount of SG #1 vs. Silk #1. SG #1 was very well ordered.

So locally Silk is long gone.

Spider Gwen is still sitting on the shelf with at least 20+ normal copies and about 10 young variants.

This doesn't mean it hasn't sold well its just a view of how each were ordered.

Those particular books are sitting for a reason. I think this is because all of the Spider-Gwens looked like they were dropped on their corners and would probably grade 9.0 - 9.2. By comparison, the Silk book were crisp. Comic guys are even more picky today than 20 years ago imo.

So locally Silk is long gone.

Spider Gwen is still sitting on the shelf with at least 20+ normal copies and about 10 young variants.

This doesn't mean it hasn't sold well its just a view of how each were ordered.

Those particular books are sitting for a reason. I think this is because all of the Spider-Gwens looked like they were dropped on their corners and would probably grade 9.0 - 9.2. By comparison, the Silk book were crisp. Comic guys are even more picky today than 20 years ago imo.

See I still disagree with this. We tend to believe we are the market way too much on these boards. Don't get me wrong I still see the guy looking thru 50 copies every week. Slab purchasing is still a very small part of the market.(Although it is growing.)

Granted comic book buyers don't want to buy banged up books, but still the majority don't care if a book is 9.4 versus a 9.6.

That being said I picked up to 9.6s the other day in that shop from that pile. They still got some decent copies.

Heh - when I worked at my LCS part-time, I got to go through the stacks before they were put out for the public and I always picked the very best copies. This was before CGC was ever around, and even when I worked there again later and CGC was around, I hadn't heard of them yet.

I would literally have 3-8 copies of each of my books, the best-looking copies in the box, then I'd pore over them, deciding which one was the best of the best.

:)

-slym