• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Some Help With A Comic Book Decision

20 posts in this topic

Hey Guys... So, here's the dilemma

Would you spend the money on purchasing a comic that is not a Key, but has a great cover (a la Supergirl and the Legion of Super Heroes #23 Adam Hughes variant)?

I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on a book I want solely based on a cover due to the price the seller is wanting, but it's easy for me to spend the money on a key.

Let's take 2 examples for instance:

Batman Adventures #12 NM Raw vs. Supergirl and the Legion of Super Heroes #23 Adam Hughes CGC 9.8

Both are about the same price and desired by many collectors. So, what would you do in this instance? (shrug)

I agree. Go with the key. You should be able to get a Daredevil #1 in 3.5 or so for that amount of money or an Avengers #4 in 4.0. Maybe a Fantastic Four #5 in 2.5? Between the two you mentioned? I'd say neither.

EDIT: With the caveat, of course, of buy what you love and you can never go wrong. Just don't plan your retirement on it.

Heres' the cover art for the Supergirl book for those of you who want to see it but are too lazy to go search it on google! (thumbs u

Supergirl_and_the_Legion_of_Super-Heroes_Vol_1_23_Textless_Variant.jpg

I'd buy the key and with a little extra money I would print this with good quality paper and ink and frame it to put on my comic room!

Thanks for the input all! Based on your feedback, looks like getting the Key is the way go.

Just wish those sellers with those awesome covers would lower their prices. :frustrated:

Always get the keys.

Do you have to get a 9.8 of the AH book? If you're just after it for the cover, get a 9.6 for half-the price. You can't see the difference unless you're right up on it looking for it.

Thanks for the input all! Based on your feedback, looks like getting the Key is the way go.

Just wish those sellers with those awesome covers would lower their prices. :frustrated:

Always get the keys.

Do you have to get a 9.8 of the AH book? If you're just after it for the cover, get a 9.6 for half-the price. You can't see the difference unless you're right up on it looking for it.

..... sage advice. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Always get the keys.

..... sage advice. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

+1 on this - you may also be able to find a comparable (9+ anyway) - raw copy

then .... you may be able to afford BOTH!!!!

;)

Always get the keys.

Listen to this guy.

Heck, get a 9.4 of it even...

One of Adam Hughes' best covers.

I bought a copy of it at the LCS when it first appeared. Looks really nice, raw.

It's a gorgeous cover and great to have (I have a 9.6 slab) but I agree with everyone else. Go for the key.

Now it's easier for me to say that because I have one, but here's the thing. Yes these were 1 per store, yes Adam Hughes has a very rabid fan base, yes it's a gorgeous cover, but is it really rare? Not really. Zenescope has books twice as rare on a monthly basis for way less than what a 9.6 would cost ya.