• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you handle PM's from members wanting to buy what you have posted?

87 posts in this topic

Take the high road, be courteous and polite and simply decline.

You could even engage in some conversation about the book since the person making the offer is interested in it, a way to make some new friends on here.

First off whatever you do ignore RMA's advice.

All of it? Or just the last resort part?

PS. You will sell me all of the Steranko books in your sig. Make with the Paypal addy.

Others said it perfectly. Politely decline and if they persist remove yourself from the pm. If they still persist block them.

Wait, didn't I say that, too...?

hm

Ok. I hereby give you permission to listen to RMA. He is actually pretty smart (if a bit abrasive at times), except you can't listen to the part where he says don't share your collection here. That's about the worst idea I've ever heard. It's making me reassess my original opinion of RMA. ;)

I don't know RMA but I've never really noticed them being abrasive in the limited amount of posts I have read from them. I sometimes have this problem myself with other posters on various forums where they read into comments some sort of tone or attitude. You end getting comments like "wow- settle down dude" etc.

PS. You will sell me all of the Steranko books in your sig. Make with the Paypal addy.

Others said it perfectly. Politely decline and if they persist remove yourself from the pm. If they still persist block them.

hm

Ok. I hereby give you permission to listen to RMA. He is actually pretty smart (if a bit abrasive at times), except you can't listen to the part where he says don't share your collection here. That's about the worst idea I've ever heard. It's making me reassess my original opinion of RMA. ;)

I don't know RMA but I've never really noticed them being abrasive in the limited amount of posts I have read from them. I sometimes have this problem myself with other posters on various forums where they read into comments some sort of tone or attitude. You end getting comments like "wow- settle down dude" etc.

Whoa man. Just chill. No need to fly off the handle

hm

Whoa man. Just chill. No need to fly off the handle

See? TOLD YOU SO!

lol

hm

Without upsetting the off-topic police, this times a bazillion. We all read into posts what we want, what we think we see, and not necessarily what is, and people get upset when anyone challenges what they think (even if it has nothing to do with that person...this thread is a good example.) Add to that the fact that opinion about someone is formed not just by one's own direct experiences with a person, but also by the opinions of one's friends, and you have a recipe for angst where there shouldn't be, and potentially enriching relationships dead before they ever had a chance.

Regarding sharing your collection, it's a tough choice to make, especially in this age where everyone knows everything, and it does make you a target, not just for PMs, but for potential theft as well.

I love seeing other people's stuff, and I love sharing mine...don't get me wrong on that regard...but at the same time, it can be a risk if people 1. know who you are, 2. know where you live, and 3. know what you have.

It's a consideration, to be sure, and you never know who is on the internet, looking at your stuff. Something to keep in mind.

hm