• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you handle PM's from members wanting to buy what you have posted?

87 posts in this topic

Hi Guys and Gals!

Robotman here. New to the boards. Being a vintage guy, I mainly post over in Gold. I started a thread there to introduce comic collectors to stuff a little outside the world of comic books. I am a comic book collector and do show some of them as well.

I get a lot of well wishers but I get a LOT of people asking me if items are for sale. I am a collector and just want people to have fun seeing what else is out there. I am NOT selling.

I can be a little snarky (is kinds why I've stayed outta here). And started out being nice with a relpy like "sorry it's not for sale". Then I got a little anoyed and started saying stuff like "If it was for sale, it would be in the sales thread" or in the Immortal words of the Steve Miller Band: "Your Cash Ain't Nothing but Trash". and a few other snarky coments.

Some of these requests are really down right rude like "How much for the _____". Is this something I should get used to? I've just gotton to the point of deleting the request.

How do you guys handle this?

Thanks!

Your initial response is the best, "Sorry, not for sale". Remember, you are on a comic board where a lot of buying and selling takes place. You're going to get offers/requests when you post up great books. Just the nature of the beast.

Or you could always respond with a "no regrets" price to you. Something so outrageous that, in the off chance someone did take you up on it, you'd be a fool not to take it.

More than likely, it would make the person sending you the PM think you're nuts and they wouldn't bother you again with a request on a different book.

Unless the offers are made in a rude or insulting manner, or is such a low-ball number that it's like your intelligence is being insulted, why be snarky or be the kind of a-hole that you seem to accuse the offerors of being?

How hard is it to simply reply with "Sorry, it's not for sale"?

"Sorry, not for sale."

If they persist, vacate the PM thread, and put them on ignore, so they can't PM you.

If you don't want to deal with PMs at all, you can turn them off completely.

Easy, cheesy.

Finally...and this is a tough one, I know...don't share what you have.

You got a good point and point well taken. It's a bit annoying I guess. I did reply back to the first one nicely and he came back with "come on everything has a price, what's yours?" I guess for the time being I will just delete them instead of being a jerk.

Unless the offers are made in a rude or insulting manner, or is such a low-ball number that it's like your intelligence is being insulted, why be snarky or be the kind of a-hole that you seem to accuse the offerors of being?

How hard is it to simply reply with "Sorry, it's not for sale"?

You got a good point and point well taken. It's a bit annoying I guess. I did reply back to the first one nicely and he came back with "come on everything has a price, what's yours?" I guess for the time being I will just delete them instead of being a jerk.

Like I suggested, hit them with the "No Regret" price.

Book guides for $500, make your sell price $5000.

Not showing what you have collected and share with others is just burying your head in the sand.I love to see what attracts other collectors to do what they do and it amazes me.Just put your PM on off if it bothers you so much ,but it is also a good way to meet others with like interests :blahblah:

Also a good point. I have gotton a lot of very cool posts from boardies who get what I'm trying to do. Most everybody here has been real supportative so I don't want to turn off the PMs if at all possible. Your last comment is rather grim I guess to me. I lurked on these boards for a long time and thought It was high time I "gave back". I would like to stay here so we can all have some fun so maybe I need to grow a pair and let it ride.

"Sorry, not for sale."

If they persist, vacate the PM thread, and put them on ignore, so they can't PM you.

If you don't want to deal with PMs at all, you can turn them off completely.

Easy, cheesy.

Finally...and this is a tough one, I know...don't share what you have.

Wow, cold but true I guess...

If you throw meat chunks in a kennel the dogs are gonna snap at em. This is just nature.

If they did those eye-tracking experiments and you put some incredible comics in one spot and hot babes in another, most boardies would be all over the books....

I'm more impressed that you have 145 posts in 9 days. :eek:

I just politely say sorry they're not for sale,but thank you for asking. (thumbs u

I think kav had 5k by that point.

How many times you gonna say basically the same thing? This is like # 45 in your broken record hitlist

WE GET IT