• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We need another cameo vs 1st app discussion

29 posts in this topic

I know how much people here love these discussions :insane: so here's one that just occurred to me which I haven't seen discussed before (my apologies if I missed it).

The Leader first appears in TTA # 62. This first appearance though, is for two fairly minor panels and his face is not revealed. He is pretty much a behind the scenes mastermind. In # 63, he plays a major role with both his face and his origin being revealed. CGC labels # 62 as his first appearance and # 63 as his second appearance.

In my opinion, judging by the same standards that have been applied to other comic first appearances, it seems to me that # 62 should be his first cameo appearance (as is generally accepted in comic book terms, before people start telling me the true meaning of cameo appearance) and # 63 should be his first full appearance.

BTW, I have one raw mid grade copy of # 63 so I'm not raising this to boost my comic values.

So...... what is the consensus on this? hm

At some point they corrected the notation - you must be looking at an older label

1st appearance of the Leader (cameo)

Origin & 1st full appearance of the Leader

Thanks for that, you're right that it must've been an older label (though not old label). (worship)

....... but I wanted some heated debate and controversy, you party pooper. :makepoint:

At some point they corrected the notation - you must be looking at an older label

Thanks for that, you're right that it must've been an older label (though not old label). (worship)

....... but I wanted some heated debate and controversy, you party pooper. :makepoint:

Pretty cut and dry, as your first post states

Nice try though lol

Pretty cut and dry, as your first post states

Nice try though lol

Garry has been pwned. :whee:

First is first

Unless it's first full, then that's first :tonofbricks:

or unless it's the first comic book appearance, (in the case of Rocket Raccoon or Starlord appearing first in a magazine) then that's first :eyeroll:

:facepalm:

:whistle:

"Hulk 180"

"In what comic book does the Wolverine first appear?"

Alex Tribek - ^^

doesn't he actually "appear" in a comic book before 180?

:slapfight:

No, ads for 181 were not released before 180.

I've wondered if fans of the character Bullseye consider Nick Fury 15 an important book to have, or if DD 131 satisfies the need, since it introduces the "new" Bullseye.

Same name, same basic premise, just a different identity.

I find it a little odd that Marv Wolfaman and John Romita get credit for creating the character when he's so close to the character created by Friedrich and Trimpe about 6 years earlier.

Kinda like the Golden age vs Silver age Human Torch. I feel Carl Burgos co-created the Fantastic Four along with Lee and Kirby. The silver age Torch may be a different character, but the concept was created by Burgos.

"Hulk 180"

Alex Tribek - ^^

BADFDC5B-09F5-49F8-90AC-76602D54DE38_zpspcqu1ygd.jpg

Before cgc and the internet, we rely on these marvel-verified information. There shouldn't be any debate :)

"Hulk 180"

Alex Tribek - ^^

BADFDC5B-09F5-49F8-90AC-76602D54DE38_zpspcqu1ygd.jpg

Before cgc and the internet, we rely on these marvel-verified information. There shouldn't be any debate :)

As if official trading cards, books, etc. can't contain incorrect information. And I can't believe you mentioned CGC when referring to good sources of correct issue notes/information.

But the point raised was ads for Hulk 181 (hmm... why would the first ads for the exciting new character be for 181?), which did not precede Hulk 180.

Obviously, Wolverine does appear in the story pages of Hulk 180, despite his last page appearance being an thinly veiled advertisement for 181.

As if official trading cards, books, etc. can't contain incorrect information. And I can't believe you mentioned CGC when referring to good sources of correct issue notes/information.

But the point raised was ads for Hulk 181 (hmm... why would the first ads for the exciting new character be for 181?), which did not precede Hulk 180.

Obviously, Wolverine does appear in the story pages of Hulk 180, despite his last page appearance being an thinly veiled advertisement for 181.

Is the example provided incorrect? How is issue 180 a thinly veiled ad for 181? Can you not say the same thing to any other comic issue?