• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We need another cameo vs 1st app discussion

29 posts in this topic

Is the example provided incorrect?

That particular card looks fine. (shrug)

How is issue 180 a thinly veiled ad for 181? Can you not say the same thing to any other comic issue?

Any? No. Many? Yes. It's not an uncommon tactic in continuity-based comics to use the end of an issue after the actual story has ended as - essentially - advertising for another issue. You've got to keep the readers coming back!

Kinda like the Golden age vs Silver age Human Torch. I feel Carl Burgos co-created the Fantastic Four along with Lee and Kirby. The silver age Torch may be a different character, but the concept was created by Burgos.

Did Burgos have any input into the creation of the FF though? I don't know if he did so I'm asking (shrug)

If he did, then he definitely needs to be acknowledged as a co-creator of the FF.

If all he did was create one character, the Human Torch, who would later be included in that team, then no, he should not be given creator credits.

Kinda like the Golden age vs Silver age Human Torch. I feel Carl Burgos co-created the Fantastic Four along with Lee and Kirby. The silver age Torch may be a different character, but the concept was created by Burgos.

Did Burgos have any input into the creation of the FF though? I don't know if he did so I'm asking (shrug)

If he did, then he definitely needs to be acknowledged as a co-creator of the FF.

If all he did was create one character, the Human Torch, who would later be included in that team, then no, he should not be given creator credits.

Along that same line, wasn't the concept for a stretchy guy done by Jack Cole with Plastic Man. I know not exactly the same since HT carried the same name.

There was also Invisible Scarlet O'Neil back in the 40s.

I think the concept based of the FF team was Lee and Kirby either together or separately depending which camp you're in but Burgos may have had input - just never heard that.

Is the example provided incorrect?

That particular card looks fine. (shrug)

How is issue 180 a thinly veiled ad for 181? Can you not say the same thing to any other comic issue?

Any? No. Many? Yes. It's not an uncommon tactic in continuity-based comics to use the end of an issue after the actual story has ended as - essentially - advertising for another issue. You've got to keep the readers coming back!

+1

I really don't know why folks still insist on trying to debate this. The point is dead, buried, and rotted in the earth already.

lol

-J.

this can get weird. and segue into Lee vs Kirby on who created the FF. Kirby gang says it was Kirby's ideas based on his Challengers etc, but Stan Lee's fans point to the synopsis Stan gave to Kirby to draw, based on Goodmans suggestion to him.

But as you guys are pointing out here, Torch wasn't a new creation, nor was Stretcho, and there were Things and Heaps and invisible Scarlets in the GA. So, maybe the "creatorship" of the FF is a hot potato! Meaning if it was Stan's idea, then that explains (according to Kirby gang) why it was "so unoriginal" But if they are correct that Stan never created ANYTHING then it points to Stan having "created the FF himself BECAUSE it was so derivative that only a hack would have proposed it.

Certainly Jack couldn't have created the FF because their idea of Kirby would have created a totally new FF, no?