• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk #1 discussion thread

39 posts in this topic

This thread is dedicated to the discussion of Hulk #1. Unlike some, it won't be rebooted every time the first post becomes uneditable. This thread won't include a list unless someone wants to post one. Feel free to post your book(s) here, or just talk about Hulk #1 in whatever way you'd like without fear that your thread will be rendered obsolete. Nobody will tell you you're posting incorrectly here.

You know, you could always just copy and paste the rebooted Club list into the "Original" Hulk #1 Club and just be responsible for updating it as people post their books. :whistle:

I'd think that'd make much better sense than starting a fourth "Hulk #1" thread. But I guess, you know better than me. :(

You know, you could always just copy and paste the rebooted Club list into the "Original" Hulk #1 Club and just be responsible for updating it as people post their books. :whistle:

I'd think that'd make much better sense than starting a fourth "Hulk #1" thread. But I guess, you know better than me. :(

We could do that, if that's what folks want. I'm just enjoying the irony of you complaining about a new Hulk #1 thread.

HS, you're too sensitive.

If people want to discuss options, it's not necessarily a disregard for the hard work you had already put into previous threads, it's more just a discussion to keep things more seamless moving forward.

I tend to lean with Mysterio here in that, rather than having multiple threads of which any old thread could be bumped at a given time, why not just add a post at the end of the thread with the updates.

I think I know what you're trying to accomplish - you want something that's always neat and tidy with all the additions on the first post.

I think what Mysterio is saying is that some people prefer to have long, drawn out threads with years of history in them without having to click on links for updates.

I tend to agree - it's nice to have one long ready that multiple broken ones.

Again, that's just a 'soft' opinion of mine - I rarely post in the club threads and almost NEVER add a book to the club. Just an observation.

Again, it's not personal so don't take it as such. :)

HS, you're too sensitive.

If people want to discuss options, it's not necessarily a disregard for the hard work you had already put into previous threads, it's more just a discussion to keep things more seamless moving forward.

I agree, I don’t think when people "disregard" something or discuss are despising the effort a person has put into something, and they are not necessarily seeing the whole pictures either, so discussion can be a good way for everyone to acquire a more encompassing (and balanced) perception.

When blazincomics criticized the auction thread I made, I was really surprised as most of his criticism addressed things which never crossed my mind. But I realized that it was also true that losing bidders might have felt disappointing by their loss, even if terms were clearly stated. This made me think because, as genuine and good our motivations may be, it is easy to become prideful or too stubborn about them.

Discussion is always helpful but it presupposes listening (ob audiens in latin, from where the word "obedience" comes, as used in religious orders) on both parts.

Said this, I like the organized Harvey threads, they do not cancel anything and people can also re-post the old entries, I just think they should not become a pain in the "back" for him and I think Mysterio idea is good: it’s not a big hassle to keep an updated recap page, even if the first post has become uneditable.

:)

Although the points made are food for thought and certainly logically founded, i am a realist. To me, HS has volunteered to do the work. If this process works for him and he is doing the work, we play by his rules. If someone else wants to change the rules, then please feel free to do the work too.

+1 HarveySwick

The reason I'm sensitive on the topic Roy is that we had this same discussion a year ago. A thread mysterio created in the Silver Comics subforum with a very persuasively written poll.

There was zero need to add this in to the option for the rebooted clubs because it's not accurate:

"I prefer the rebooted threads (I don't mind losing the link to board history as long as I have an easy way to access the member's entries)."

I link to the original club threads in both the first AND second post of every thread I reboot. I also try to leave the last post of the old thread with a link to the new thread.

So discussion is one long, continuous discussion that is just broken down into multiple threads.

Maybe you don't know the history of how I started updating the threads. It originally happened when I noticed Dscott had created a list with links buried in the Daredevil #1 Club thread, but had stopped updating it. I loved it and started updating it. Then I did the same for the Hulk #181. Then the ASM #129 thread.

It became a nightmare to track where they are buried in the threads.

And I appreciate the suggestion of updating where the list was on each page. But these lists are updated very sporadically. Meaning today there could be two updates. Tomorrow one update. Then in two weeks another update.

When do I update the list?

Example:

Someone posts an addition. I update the list and bump it. Within an hour or two, someone else adds an addition. Do I just bump the list and update it again. How about when there are several pages of discussion about the book. Do I have to bump the list? So at times, every other post is a bumped list?! doh!

It becomes lost and buried. But someone that comes along and wants to just quickly peruse the Club isn't going to search for the list. It makes it much easier for EVERYONE when it's on the first page and first post. (shrug)

And I can't for the life of me understand the public backlash behind rebooting the club. I can't. Explain it to me. Please. :foryou:

Say there's 100 pages of discussion. Then at the end of the year, the club is rebooted. BUT there is a link to the original 100 pages of discussion. Anyone can easily READ the history and see it's there and the discussion just continues in a new thread. How is ANYTHING lost? :popcorn:

It becomes lost and buried. But someone that comes along and wants to just quickly peruse the Club isn't going to search for the list. It makes it much easier for EVERYONE when it's on the first page and first post. (shrug)

That goes for sure, so you propose to start with a clean thread in case the post becomes uneditable? My idea of just adding a new list page was simply because I thought it would have been less effort for you, as this way you will have to remember to update the first posts at last once a year. :)

Believe me - it sucks having to reboot the clubs and is a real pain. But once it's done and the old thread sort of is buried back a few pages, the new thread just takes over continuing from the previous. I've saved little templates of what to post so it becomes a uniformed thing to do.

Can you also see the issue presented as far as the list being bumped within a thread?

It starts to take over the thread as it could be bumped often. Then it starts to stand out like a sore thumb and become annoying. :shy:

I'm not rebooting the club threads to be difficult or annoying or step on anyone's toes. I just tried the other method suggested and it doesn't work as well.

If the the previous thread is left with a link to the new thread as the last post, it becomes one long chain. NOTHING is lost and everyone gains the benefit of the list in the first post of the first page.

This issue was voted on already. The overwhelming majority liked what Harvey was doing. He does it voluntarily and on his own time. He makes it a point to welcome each new club member with a friendly compliment to their book. It is patently disingenuous for someone to curtly state, "If you don't like doing it, don't do it" after he has dedicated so much time to doing it. It is dismissive and disrespectful.

Mysterio, I have never directly interacted with you on these boards, but from what I have read you seem to be like a well reasoned, knowledgeable fellow. I hope you will find it within yourself to ease off this issue a bit, as it seems to be needlessly alienating and divisive against a boardie (HS) who proactively does things to make the boards better and more organized. We need more people like that, not less. My 2 cents.

-J.

This issue was voted on already. The overwhelming majority liked what Harvey was doing. He does it voluntarily and on his own time. He makes it a point to welcome each new club member with a friendly compliment to their book. It is patently disingenuous for someone to curtly state, "If you don't like doing it, don't do it" after he has dedicated so much time to doing it. It is dismissive and disrespectful.

Mysterio, I have never directly interacted with you on these boards, but from what I have read you seem to be like a well reasoned, knowledgeable fellow. I hope you will find it within yourself to ease off this issue a bit, as it seems to be needlessly alienating and divisive against a boardie (HS) who proactively does things to make the boards better and more organized. We need more people like that, not less. My 2 cents.

-J.

I said my piece/peace (I never know which is correct here) in the old AF #15 thread. Harvey has done a lot of work, and it is appreciated. All I meant by "If you don't like doing it, don't do it" was exactly that. I don't understand why you would voluntarily take on the job of maintaining the threads and then complain about it. If he doesn't feel like that work adds to his enjoyment of the boards he should leave it to someone else. It sounds a bit martyrish otherwise.

The main issue here seems to be WHERE the thread should be updated. Harvey seems to think it crucial that it be on page one of a new thread each year, rather than on any random page of a longer ongoing thread. As has been demonstrated, it would be easy enough to reference to location of the latest list in the thread title for individual posts. And as I said elsewhere, it should be up to the community, voting with their posts, as to which version they prefer. Harvey has already been kind enough to post the Hulk #1 list in the original Hulk #1 club thread. I am still at a loss to understand why this couldn't be done in any thread the community would like the list to be maintained in, if they want the list maintained at all. Again, that option should be up to the community. That is all I have been saying.

And I appreciate the suggestion of updating where the list was on each page. But these lists are updated very sporadically. Meaning today there could be two updates. Tomorrow one update. Then in two weeks another update.

When do I update the list?

Example:

Someone posts an addition. I update the list and bump it. Within an hour or two, someone else adds an addition. Do I just bump the list and update it again. How about when there are several pages of discussion about the book. Do I have to bump the list? So at times, every other post is a bumped list?! doh!

And I can't for the life of me understand the public backlash behind rebooting the club. I can't. Explain it to me. Please. :foryou:

Say there's 100 pages of discussion. Then at the end of the year, the club is rebooted. BUT there is a link to the original 100 pages of discussion. Anyone can easily READ the history and see it's there and the discussion just continues in a new thread. How is ANYTHING lost? :popcorn:

Have you considered this issue with a floating list?

Also, can you PLEASE explain what you mean when you constantly try to claim that a rebooted club thread results in lost history or discussion when I link to that very discussion in the first AND second post of every thread I reboot? :popcorn:

This is still going on? doh!

I don’t have a dog in this fight since I generally don’t post books in the Club threads, though I do look at them. If Harvey is willing to maintain the threads, who cares if he wants to do it with the list on the first page and an annual reboot? All the previous thread info is a handy click away. Unless somebody else wants to take on all the work we should just be thankful instead of trying to impose rules and regulations in threads that are supposed to be fun.

Yes, that’s the point.

Even myself I prefer threads devoted to characters rather than single issues, but the "keys" thread are nice, so as long as the list is updated with links I am fine with Harvey’s doing the updates, as he also enjoys it more than I would very likely do. :)

I don’t have a dog in this fight since I generally don’t post books in the Club threads, though I do look at them. If Harvey is willing to maintain the threads, who cares if he wants to do it with the list on the first page and an annual reboot? All the previous thread info is a handy click away. Unless somebody else wants to take on all the work we should just be thankful instead of trying to impose rules and regulations in threads that are supposed to be fun.

I totally agree. Justin does a lot around here, and I do appreciate it. :)

Thank you guys. :foryou:

I just PM'ed Arch this idea. I don't know if it's possible, but it's a way to minimize the number of Club threads and consolidate the history of the previous threads into one.

Maybe we merge the last rebooted club with the original so it's one long continuous thread and I reboot it every year with a new thread.

Example:

(1) Original Hulk #1 Club - 04/18/10

(2) Rebooted Hulk #1 Club Version 1.0 - 01/06/14

Because the first post has expired in #2 and is no longer editable, I'll have to reboot it with a new Club:

Hulk #1 Club [2015]

So, if we could merge #2 into and behind #1 so as long as I still link to #1, it's one long continuous thread. :wishluck:

That way every year, I'll reboot the newest club and put the year in the title and first post:

"HULK #1 CLUB [2015]" and the previous year was merged into the original. :banana:

:golfclap:

Thank you guys. :foryou:

I just PM'ed Arch this idea. I don't know if it's possible, but it's a way to minimize the number of Club threads and consolidate the history of the previous threads into one.

Maybe we merge the last rebooted club with the original so it's one long continuous thread and I reboot it every year with a new thread.

Example:

(1) Original Hulk #1 Club - 04/18/10

(2) Rebooted Hulk #1 Club Version 1.0 - 01/06/14

Because the first post has expired in #2 and is no longer editable, I'll have to reboot it with a new Club:

Hulk #1 Club [2015]

So, if we could merge #2 into and behind #1 so as long as I still link to #1, it's one long continuous thread. :wishluck:

That way every year, I'll reboot the newest club and put the year in the title and first post:

"HULK #1 CLUB [2015]" and the previous year was merged into the original. :banana:

I guess it all boils down to how important the list is. If keeping this list on the first page is deemed to be the #1 priority then we can reboot the thread every year so it is accessible on the first page. If maintaining the flow and integrity of the lengthier thread is more of a priority than the list, then I would say that it doesn't make sense to keep rebooting the club thread annually.

Another option would be to have a stickied thread that is simply the club list, with discussion in a separate thread. The club lists would get annual reboots and would be easy to find. Any discussion threads would not need reboots every year.

At the end of the day the core issue seems to be how focused we need to be on The Lists themselves. If the organization of much of the SA room will be dictated by the needs of The Lists then so be it.