• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When buying comics at shows do you have to pay sales tax?

14 posts in this topic

I never have. Also have never heard of anyone doing it. Come to think of it, if someone asked me to pay sales tax, I wouldnt buy anything from them, how would I know that they actually use that money for anything other than padding thier own pocket?

Sometimes. I believe that you are supposed to pay it every time, if you take possession of the book at the show. Not everyone charges sales tax though.

From what I've seen, if you want to pay via credit card they are more likely charge you sales tax. If paying by cash, 95% or so of the time you don't have to pay tax. This is especially true of big shows like San Diego where they will sometimes make the dealer get a temporary state business license or something like that so they can get their grubby hands on the $.

Many of you who are not paying sales tax are getting off lucky. Whether the dealer charges you or not we are still responsible for declaring it and paying it. So add this to why some dealers discount less than others (8.75% + 1.95-3% Credit card surcharge).

San Diego, PA conventions will not let you set up unless your account is in good standing.

Many of you who are not paying sales tax are getting off lucky. Whether the dealer charges you or not we are still responsible for declaring it and paying it. So add this to why some dealers discount less than others (8.75% + 1.95-3% Credit card surcharge).

San Diego, PA conventions will not let you set up unless your account is in good standing.

Bob, do you have to pay a flat $1.95 plus 3%? Man, that would have to be taken into account when selling.

By law new comics are tax exempt because they are pierodicals or considered as such.

Back issues are no longer considered as such, and are supposed to be sales tax. I would say though if someone is charging you sales tax, they are probably pocketing it.

What state are you in where back issues are "sales tax exempt"?

Almost every new Wizard show requires a Sale tax number to be on file or you cannot set up.

You cannot setup at San Deigo without one.

I have never pocketed Sales tax money and quite frankly eat quite a bit of customer's sale tax.

New comics in SOME states are tax exempt In Jersey they are, in PA they are not. Hence why any Jersey discount I get from stores is automatically 7% better.

And if you think that stores/dealers are always pocketing sales tax, I would say that's a fairly misguided statement.

By law new comics are tax exempt because they are pierodicals or considered as such.

Back issues are no longer considered as such, and are supposed to be sales tax. I would say though if someone is charging you sales tax, they are probably pocketing it.

I've been charged on the odd occasion but only, strangely enough, in SD, and only then by CA dealers. Usually in these situations it's negotiable, especially if you're building up a decent stack of books.

Sales tax on comics (or surcharges such as VAT) is non-existent in the U.K. at present as all reading matter is exempt from this.

My LCS charges me sales tax for new comics. That's why I stopped buyinmg from them.