• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you feel about date stamps on front covers?

54 posts in this topic

For me, it depends on the stamps prominence - it could be argued that a well placed stamp mark can lend an unquantifiable something to a books overall character and eye appeal (particularly on mid-grade copies).

Not sure I would pay a premium for a non-stamped copy.

It depends on both the date stamp and the book, for me. A small, unobtrusive date stamp adds a cool emphasis to the age of the book which, in turn, brings out more of the "wow" factor for a really old one in remarkable shape. Even more, a date stamp can signify the provenance of a book - indeed, there is a certain Silver Age collection that I am trying to acquire books from that has an identifying type of date stamp to go along with its phenomenal color preservation.

With that being said, stamps that are either large or placed in a distracting location on the cover can detract from the overall appeal.

not much of a fan of date stamps, at all. I have a few books with them, but if it came down to choosing between two books, exact same grade, same price, one with, and one without the stamp, the one without wins everytime (unless its a pedigree, but then it wouldnt be the same price). ive got a vf x-men 100, nice book, but the date stamp is in the middle of the book. I bought it off of a dealer before i learned to specify no date stamps. sorry.gif

Is the date stamp part of the book's history or does it take away from it?

I like small, neat date stamps and distributor codes. I can respect the views of those people who do not, but the stamps/codes are actually a plus for me (though I certainly am not going to pay extra for them). 27_laughing.gif I think the date stamps in particular are nice because they tell you the day that the book hit the newsstand. As you note, the stamp is part of the book's history. True, the same could be said for every crease and ding, but date stamps just don't bother me the same way that reading and storage wear does.

Is the date stamp part of the book's history or does it take away from it?

I like small, neat date stamps and distributor codes. I can respect the views of those people who do not, but the stamps/codes are actually a plus for me (though I certainly am not going to pay extra for them). 27_laughing.gif I think the date stamps in particular are nice because they tell you the day that the book hit the newsstand. As you note, the stamp is part of the book's history. True, the same could be said for every crease and ding, but date stamps just don't bother me the same way that reading and storage wear does.

I completely agree hi.gif And I love to see the variance between the release date and the cover date 893whatthe.gif It's quite often greater than people assume was the norm.

A small stamp near the top of the book doesn't bother me. I don't particularly care for a stamp placed on a character's face, or on the highlight of a "headlight" comic. tongue.gif

A small stamp near the top of the book doesn't bother me. I don't particularly care for a stamp placed on a character's face, or on the highlight of a "headlight" comic. tongue.gif

That being said, I would like a date stamp smack dab on the crotch. To me, it tells me how long the superhero has not changed his/her underwear. stooges.gif

In general, the book will sell for less with a date stamp. The newer the issue, the more effect the date stamp will have on the sale price.

Obviously, pedigree books are an exception. With Golden-Age it probably doesn't matter as much. With Silver-Age, I don't think the White Mountain's get penalized but to me, the Green Rivers do (as the date stamp can be in the middle of the book).

Here's a perfect example of a date stamp killing the value of a book. I know I would have bid at least $500 more if the date stamp wasn't there.

FF #4

Just my opinion.

I'm sure it had nothing to do with the small scan (no back cover), relatively low feedback and the fact that he wanted you to pay his paypal fees if you use a credit card?

I don't disagree that those could be factors, but to me, the big factor was the DATE STAMP. makepoint.gif

That is easily a $3K book without the date stamp and I believe someone would have bid higher (not saying it would have sold), if it didn't have it.

I like small, neat date stamps and distributor codes. I can respect the views of those people who do not, but the stamps/codes are actually a plus for me (though I certainly am not going to pay extra for them). 27_laughing.gif I think the date stamps in particular are nice because they tell you the day that the book hit the newsstand. As you note, the stamp is part of the book's history.

I would go along with this for Silver Age books, and have often picked up books with neat date stamps and writing on the cover.

I won't touch BA or latter books with date stamps or writing though. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm sure it had nothing to do with the small scan (no back cover), relatively low feedback and the fact that he wanted you to pay his paypal fees if you use a credit card?

And pay for his gas and tolls back and forth to mail the book!

As usual, I like them. I feel they reflect the history of the book's journey into the buyer's hand, and the date itself has some historical value as to when the book appeared on the racks. I also like to imagine the retailer stamping the books by hand. confused-smiley-013.gif