• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay's International shipping service

67 posts in this topic

I accidentally listed an item internationally and it sold and the buyer paid before I caught it.

I stopped shipping overseas after getting hosed on a sale that I know the person got the package but there was no way for me to prove otherwise so I had to refund their payment and I was out the book.

Anyone have any good experience with this as I am now in a spot where I have to fulfill the sale?

I can’t see why an international transaction should be more problematic than a domestic one. The fact you stumbled in a dishonest buyer from abroad is entirely incidental, as much as it can leave a bitter taste in mouth.

What is truly a nightmare for us abroad is the Global Shipping Program: the best way to kill collecting, and buying and selling across countries, IMO. :(

I can’t see why an international transaction should be more problematic than a domestic one. The fact you stumbled in a dishonest buyer from abroad is entirely incidental, as much as it can leave a bitter taste in mouth.

What is truly a nightmare for us abroad is the Global Shipping Program: the best way to kill collecting, and buying and selling across countries, IMO. :(

I've given up trying to fully understand the Global Shipping Program. But as a seller here's how I've made peace with it. I have it turned on, and if people want to use it, so be it. If someone buys an item and finds out the cost through the program to ship to their country is outrageous (I wish they could know that before, but... I understand if they can't) I let them cancel the transaction with no fuss.

So basically I see it as an option for people who it might help. I think I've sold 2-3 things through it overall, and had another 2 which I've allowed the buyer to back out of.

Use Registered Mail (automatically covers up to 45 USD or something for damage or lost) (+ insurance if the item is of high value) for the selected countries that offer this service with USPS.

You then can exclude which countries you send packages on EBay’s shipping policy.

Customer pays for the cost + customer avoids EBay’s Global Scamming Program, and you will be covered in any situation + expand your customer base.

Plus in many other countries you can use the local Post site to track the package, even with a USPS tracking number.

I only ship to 14 countries worldwide as they are the ones that provide registered post + tracking number from the Portuguese post and will exclude everything else.

Once you make the changes in your shipping policy you can use it as default for all you listings.

I accidentally listed an item internationally and it sold and the buyer paid before I caught it.

I stopped shipping overseas after getting hosed on a sale that I know the person got the package but there was no way for me to prove otherwise so I had to refund their payment and I was out the book.

Anyone have any good experience with this as I am now in a spot where I have to fulfill the sale?

If the item was listed with the eBay Global Shipping, the shipping address you see will be Erlanger, KY.

Print out the label and ship as you normally would for domestic packages. The service takes care of the rest for you.

If the item is "lost" after that, you are not responsible for refunding. It's all on eBay at that point.

I've given up trying to fully understand the Global Shipping Program. But as a seller here's how I've made peace with it. I have it turned on, and if people want to use it, so be it. If someone buys an item and finds out the cost through the program to ship to their country is outrageous (I wish they could know that before, but... I understand if they can't) I let them cancel the transaction with no fuss.

So basically I see it as an option for people who it might help. I think I've sold 2-3 things through it overall, and had another 2 which I've allowed the buyer to back out of.

It has been explained to me by a seller, who kindly took the time to do so.

Basically eBay uses a third party service to ensure all the process (including customs practices) is "streamlined". But this service has a cost, and the overall cost is a lot more higher the actual cost I pay, including my country's custom fees, without giving additional protection (which is warranted by PayPal payment). :(

The resulting cost is something which makes me automatically discard sellers using it. It‘s really dreadful, and mostly its advantages are not enough to justify its adoption.

If the item was listed with the eBay Global Shipping, the shipping address you see will be Erlanger, KY.

Print out the label and ship as you normally would for domestic packages. The service takes care of the rest for you.

If the item is "lost" after that, you are not responsible for refunding. It's all on eBay at that point.

I totally agree. I send a decent amount of stuff to Erlanger KY. I feel that is pretty safe because, as mentioned, it is out of your hands after that.

Global Shipping Program

As soon as I see this in a listing I pass. It's expensive enough buying from Canada and paying the exchange rate without this program adding to it. It also takes much longer to get to me and the package is always opened at some point in the process then repaired with eBay brand tape. Sometimes there are close shaves with damage as a result.

Cheers, Howard

I love the global shipping program as a seller. It's the only way I'll ship internationally on eBay. Before the program I had stopped shipping overseas...mainly because every single interested international buyer who contacted me wanted me to lie and either say it was a "gift" or wanted me to mark it as a lower value and would get upset at me when I would refuse.

I've turned off the Global Shipping option and my international orders have at least doubled (hey account for about 25% of my sales now). I just shipped out a Marvel Secret Wars 1-12 to Denmark today.

Sent a Fantastic Four #45 to Japan the other day, via the GSP. I have about a dozen transactions with that service, and haven't had any complaints from the buyers or any issues, but too small of sample size really.

Similar to how we need to contemplate free vs. $ shipping as a buyer, guessing they take that into account on what they are willing to bid. I typically offer free shipping so they aren't taking a double hit, but I know Pitney Bowes is taking a nice chunk of what they pay to fulfill the order...

I've turned off the Global Shipping option and my international orders have at least doubled (hey account for about 25% of my sales now). I just shipped out a Marvel Secret Wars 1-12 to Denmark today.

I know I'm taking a potential hit sales wise. But what it saves me in headaches and special trips to the PO is priceless.

Just so you have an idea of what it is to be on the buyers side and the reason why almost anyone will avoid it.

Have a look at this TWD 1 - CGC 9.6 - priced at 1699 USD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Walking-Dead-1-Oct-2003-Image-/161567818753?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item259e314401

They have the global program. According to the Ebay listing I would have to pay 47.31 USD for postage + 379.26 USD for import taxes to Portugal.

Comics are duty free for Portugal but there is a VAT value of 6% I would have to pay if the package was inspected by customs on the total amount for the order.

Let´s say the shipping is indeed 47 USD and the seller decides to insure the book for the full 1700 in case something goes wrong. Insurance would be what? 25 bucks extra?

So that´s 1699 + 47 + 25 = 1771 USD total order value.

Considering the seller would follow all the rules and be honest with the prices of everything, if the package was inspected by customs in Portugal, I would have to pay 6% vat of that total.

That´s 106,26 USD as opposed to the 379.26 of the program.

There is the also chance that the book would not be stopped in customs and I would not have to pay any duties at all + seller would be fully covered in any event.

The only people that are are us non Americans

Either people don't want to send to us

Or we get overcharged global programm

A big, BIG thank you to all those great sellers here who still send to us non Americans

Also a big thank you to mycomicshop, comiclink, comicconnect, for using normal cheaper available postage options. They can do it!

And ask yourself who are the real thiefs when import tax is 40%. So don't get so angry if they ask to put a lower value or gift. You don't have to, they don't force you. It is just a question! If you say no I am sure 98% of these buyers will still go ahead and pay the 40% legal theft at their end (I do). Try to see it from both sides. Just understand! But you can still say no.

I have 15.000 US comic books. All made, printed, produced and coming from the US. So in some form or way I got them from a US seller, US shop, or from a US distributor (via a European shop)