• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would anyone care to read my Smallville -script?

17 posts in this topic

If anyone would like to harken back to the early days of Smallville, feel free to read my unproduced episode linked below. This was during the 2nd season, when Pete Ross was still part of the gang, Clark was still learning what he was capable of, and was on reasonably friendly terms with Lex.

Through a friend, I was introduced to the assistant to the head writer. I told him how much I'd like to write for the show, and he told me that if I wrote an episode, and he thought it was good enough, he'd make sure it got to the head writer's desk.

So I wrote it, he loved it, and it sat on the head writer's desk for months. Literally, the assistant would go in once a week, clear the head writer's desk, but leave my -script there. The head writer never read it.

It did open some doors for me, but what a shame that the head writer never gave it a chance. I hope you enjoy it...

Smallville-Destiny

I'll have to check it out. When I was a senior in college I was living in LA and wrote a Smallville -script as well to pass on to a professor who had some Warner Brothers writing contacts. The -script entered the void and I'm assuming never got read. I don't know if I even have a copy of it anywhere. I'm sure it was terrible.

Did you copyright it? You never know if someone wants to steal your ideas.

If the show were still on the air, I'd be concerned. As it is, it's a sample of my writing, and I'm happy for anyone to see it.

MacAfee advises me not to enter the site.

I looked it up on scamadviser.com. They gave the site a "high trust rating" and said it was 100% safe. But, again, I'm happy to email the PDF to anyone.

It's safe. The site is TinyUpload which is one of those file repository sites that can host all kinds of bad stuff; that's why McAfee is warning you. The file is ok though (thumbs u

It's safe. The site is TinyUpload which is one of those file repository sites that can host all kinds of bad stuff; that's why McAfee is warning you. The file is ok though (thumbs u

Thanks.

Just finished it. I thought it was great. Very clever and it definitely "felt" true to the early season characters.

Just finished it. I thought it was great. Very clever and it definitely "felt" true to the early season characters.

Thanks, Ryan. It did open doors. In 2003, I read that Todd Komarnicki, producer of "Elf", would be the showrunner on a new Flash TV series. Thinking that my Smallville spec would be a good sample -script, I attended a church function up in LA where Komarnicki was on a panel discussing religion in Hollywood. I introduced myself and asked him if he'd read my -script. He agreed, and a few weeks later called me and we set up a meeting. The meeting went well, and was followed up by 2 more meetings. It became apparent that he was grooming me for a staff position on The Flash.

Komarnicki was writing the pilot, and when he submitted it to the studio, they loved it, but when they submitted it to the network, the network passed on it. The Flash TV series was dead in the water, where it would stay for over a decade, until the recent iteration. Komarnicki called me in and gave me the bad news. I asked if I could leave him a few feature scripts that I had written. He agreed, and a month later he called again, asking me to come in and pitch ideas for a feature to him and his producing partner.

I pitched 3 ideas, and they loved the first. We developed it over the course of 10 months, but the two of them had different ideas of what the -script should be, so every draft that I wrote pleased one, or the other, but never both. I finally wrote a draft for me(imagine that!), and told them I was done. Komarnicki loved it, his partner didn't, and we parted ways.

A good experience, but frustrating. When my son was born, I walked away from screenwriting for a number of years, scratching my writing itch by authoring 3 local interest books about Newport Beach for Arcadia Publishing. Now, I'm getting back into it. I've revised two of my older scripts, and several managers are currently reading them. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed. :wishluck: