• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"My mom threw mine away"

85 posts in this topic

I've read a lot of that thread but didn't see any 'I got an AF15 ASM 1 FF1 DD 1' etc at a yard sale

Plenty of 'my mom sold my AF15 ASM 1 FF1 DD 1' et' stories though...

My Mom never threw my comics away but she did sell them. I wanted to sell comics I didn't want anymore so I could fund the purchase of a book I wanted ( Hulk #1 ) when I was 10. My Mom said she could help me, and we took out a newspaper advert in the classifieds. I went to school telling her that the books on the one side of my room were for sale, the ones on the other side were not. I came home from school and she was so excited for me. She had sold my books, unfortunately she had sold them all. I still managed to buy my Hulk #1, $50 at a LCS in 1975. It was a good, but in the pre internet days you bought what you could find.

Now my EX commonlaw GF did throw away my comics. She threw out my entire collection one day when I was at work ( she hated anything that cost money that should/ could have been saved for a future nest egg clearly she had no idea that the books WERE that nest egg ).

I returned the favor and threw away all of her shoes ( over 40 pairs ) leaving her the pair she had on that day and her sneakers.

Needless to say we are no longer together. :grin:

My Mom never threw my comics away but she did sell them. I wanted to sell comics I didn't want anymore so I could fund the purchase of a book I wanted ( Hulk #1 ) when I was 10. My Mom said she could help me, and we took out a newspaper advert in the classifieds. I went to school telling her that the books on the one side of my room were for sale, the ones on the other side were not. I came home from school and she was so excited for me. She had sold my books, unfortunately she had sold them all. I still managed to buy my Hulk #1, $50 at a LCS in 1975. It was a good, but in the pre internet days you bought what you could find.

Now my EX commonlaw GF did throw away my comics. She threw out my entire collection one day when I was at work ( she hated anything that cost money that should/ could have been saved for a future nest egg clearly she had no idea that the books WERE that nest egg ).

I returned the favor and threw away all of her shoes ( over 40 pairs ) leaving her the pair she had on that day and her sneakers.

Wow, double bummer! Maybe it's not ment you to be for to be a comic collector...

I was once the beneficiary of one of these "War of the Roses" deals. An older lady at work said one day that she kicked her husband out and was divorcing him. She said she threw all the stuff he didn't take with him out on the lawn. She said it was trash day and it was goin to be gone that day. I asked what was there and she told me if I wanted to follow her home, I could have anything I wanted. I got the first 5 years of Playboy (including #1), a very early 1960's Hobie surfboard that I found out later was shaped and signed by him personally as well as some other cool stuff. For a few weeks I kept thinking he might come after me to get it back but never happened.

Wow, double bummer! Maybe it's not ment you to be for to be a comic collector...

I was once the beneficiary of one of these "War of the Roses" deals. An older lady at work said one day that she kicked her husband out and was divorcing him. She said she threw all the stuff he didn't take with him out on the lawn. She said it was trash day and it was goin to be gone that day. I asked what was there and she told me if I wanted to follow her home, I could have anything I wanted. I got the first 5 years of Playboy (including #1), a very early 1960's Hobie surfboard that I found out later was shaped and signed by him personally as well as some other cool stuff. For a few weeks I kept thinking he might come after me to get it back but never happened.

The good news is that Artboy has a fantastic collection of Planets and pre-code horror books. He did sell his most recent HULK 1 a smidge too early though...

The good news is that Artboy has a fantastic collection of Planets and pre-code horror books. He did sell his most recent HULK 1 a smidge too early though...

:frustrated:

I did make 2500 on the book though so not all bad.

I do also wonder about the increase in value. Here is GPA on CGC 5.5 which is what I sold:

2014 (2) $9,950Hi $8,900Lo

Jul-06-2014 $9,950 Cert# 1163729001

Apr-07-2014 $8,900 Cert# 1053517005

As per this data, CGC 5.5 should be selling for around 10-11,000 in my opinion which is a more gradual increase. The data is also telling: there have been no GPA reported sales of a 5.5 since July likely due to the massive price increase ( near double value )

While there was sales of 5.0 for 13000 and 6.0 for more, sales have slowed.