• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"My mom threw mine away"

85 posts in this topic

How many times have we all heard this? Here's my sad story. My brother and I had a big room with two closets. One for clothes and the other for our toys ect. In that one was all our toys, baseball cards ect and of course comics. Any of the kids in the neighborhood whose parents didn't like them reading comics kept their box at our house in that closet. We are talking SA stuff and the dawn of Marvel Comics. Shortly after my 17th birthday, I moved out of the house. My brother was away at college. First thing she did was tear down all my "hippy" posters and threw away my bong ect. Then she hit the closet... Now these wern't sold at a garage sale or given to kids in the neighborhood but into the trash can they all went. Next time I came home and found out I asked "What were you thinking?" She said I no longer lived there and had out grown that stuff any way.

As a consolation, when my parents sold the house I grew up in, I remembered the tree house. I climbed up and in a box was the stuff I hid from my parents. About a dozen EC's my uncle gave me, a few Playboy mags and all my MAD Magazine collection. (My parents hated that mag, thought it was subversive)

What is YOUR sad story or were one of the lucky ones?

Very few if any of my comics got thrown out. My parents and Grandmother knew I loved them so I guess I was one of the lucky ones. My one story is that when I was about 14 my family moved from North New Jersey to South Jersey. After a year or so I noticed I seemed to be missing some comics but didn't think too much about it. About 5 years after that, my cousin (who bought the house from us) called up and asked if I still wanted that old metal file cabinet. He said it was full of comics! I said yes and would be up that weekend. When I got there I saw then remembered this huge file cabinet that my dad had got for me from a scrapyard that held my 4 old wine crates full of comics! (This was still before bags and boards.) as I flipped through them it was like all the memories came flooding back at once! To this day I still can't believe I forgot about them. I guess life just got in the way...

My dad punished me once by soaking my entire collection in the bathtub

I felt my life was over at that point

Now the other side of the coin. My best friend Larr, growing up lived a couple of blocks away. He was an only child and very spoiled. His parents bought him pretty much anything he wanted. I remember he had every bit of Beatles merchandise made. His dad was an art director at Hanna Barbera. He created the Flintstones and Jetstons. I remember his dad bring home all the prototype toys. I distinctly remember the big battery opperated Dino Dinosaur. When he moved out his parents kept his room intact and didn't throw out anything. I remember him selling me his Fender Broadcaster guitar and Vox amplifier. I have lost touch with him but always wonder what happened to all his stuff...

Mom always tried to throw out my comics,but as my Dad and I both collected (well at That age,read them ) together, she rarely was able to....my Dads Mom on the other hand....:( threw away his SA Marvels and DC war.....he was SO very excited when I started collecting back issues and he saw books he used to have,he got right into it with me.I still have the first book I remember him buying for me off the stands....right before we went to see ET at the drive in.....

Miss you Papa. <3

My folks never threw my stuff away, any of it. My step-mother is a packrat and they still live in the same house I grew up in the 70s. Whenever my dad gets around to cleaning out a closet or straightening up the garage and finds a box of my old junk (whatever it might be) he always calls me and asks if he should send it to me. Usually my response is give it to Goodwill, but I appreciate the thought.

My dad punished me once by soaking my entire collection in the bathtub

I felt my life was over at that point

Jeebs, what did you do to pizz him off like that? :eek:

I wish I could remember.

It might have been one time I found some glasses at the dump-my dad thought I stole them from some old man when the neighbor reported me wearing them. I swore I found them in the field but he didn't believe me.

I have a related story, When I was a young man I collected comics differently than my friends... While they were buying 5-10 comics off the new rack I would buy back issues so I could read more of the story at 1 time. My book of choice was the X-men

For my 14th Birthday my mom gave me a card. Inside it read "This card is redeemable for all the X-men books your missing. I had to explain to my mom that some of the books I was missing could cost a couple hundred bucks and that to me "Finding the books was the best part of collecting "and still is :)" So as a compromise she took me to the Sunshine Comics and bought me a slew of x-men "the entire dark phoenix run :) "

I kept that card, It meant a lot to me. Unfortunately I lost it to Hurricane Andrew. My parents did haul all my Comics with them when they High Tailed it out of Homestead FL to avoid the storm.

My mom has passed since then but I will always remember that Birthday card. It meant a lot to me that she recognized my love of comics and supported it :)

Very cool story. Nice that you and your dad had that bond. I didn't get along with my dad very well untill I became an adult. I found that I am more and more like him in a good way. Now my grandpa was a cool guy. He spoiled me and bought me all the comics and Rat Fink model kits I wanted. He even rode an Indian motorcycle in the '20's and loaned me the money to buy my Norton Commando in high school!

Mom always tried to throw out my comics,but as my Dad and I both collected (well at That age,read them ) together, she rarely was able to....my Dads Mom on the other hand....:( threw away his SA Marvels and DC war.....he was SO very excited when I started collecting back issues and he saw books he used to have,he got right into it with me.I still have the first book I remember him buying for me off the stands....right before we went to see ET at the drive in.....

Miss you Papa. <3

Annother great story Griff. I credit my mom with my love of music. We used to hang around and listen to all her blues, jazz and early rock 'n roll records. She was very supportative when I started playing guitar in jr high. She just didn't like clutter!

I have arelated story, When I was a young man I collected comics differently than my friends... While they were buying 5-10 comics off the new rack I would buy back issues so I could read more of the story at 1 time. My book of choice was the X-men

For my 14th Birthday my mom gave me a card. Inside it read "This card is redeemable for all the X-men books your missing. I had to explain to my mom that some of the books I was missing could cost a couple hundred bucks and that to me "Finding the books was the best part of collecting "and still is :)" So as a compromise she took me to the Sunshine Comics and bought me a slew of x-men "the entire dark phoenix run :) "

I kept that card, It meant a lot to me. Unfortunately I lost it to Hurricane Andrew. My parents did haul all my Comics with them when they High Tailed it out of Homestead FL to avoid the storm.

My mom has passed since then but I will always remember that Birthday card. It meant a lot to me that she recognized my love of comics and supported it :)

I remember when my Dad would come home from work and see me in my bedroom floor reading and he would say reading them funny books again I see. That used to make me so mad, I would say dad that's stuff like Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse this is like real life I'm reading stuff like Iron Man or Avengers. lol They let me pile them up in my closet and never threw anything away, but I did have a cousin come and visit from out of town when I was younger and he wanted to "borrow"some to take to read on the way back and my Mom gave him a sack of some of my comics and the one that I can remember being in the bag was Spider man 17 I think :facepalm: