• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COMIC SITE WITH GRADED COMICS CGC FROM 1999 ACCURATE ?

7 posts in this topic

I found this site with alot of graded comics BIG PICS FROM CGC looks like from around 1999, are these pretty accurate ??? or are they tougher now in grading ???

http://www.nostomania.com/servlets/com.nostomania.CatPage?name=ComicsGradingMain

If there an accurate description of todays comic grading standards i am going to have to raise the grades on all the comics i just got and start sending them in to be graded, grin.......

Eric

Site does have some nice "large" scans for viewing...and I didn't see anything particularly odd about the grades given on the books. Each mid to high grade book was generally structurally sound with the minor flaws to be expected of the grade given.

Now the lower grade, Fine on down, were all shown with Golden Age books.... and newer books, bronze & modern, certainly wouldn't be given the benefit of the grading scale curve that GA gets. So you may be able to upgrade your older books if that's what you see out of the examples given, but don't apply the lower grade standard to your newer books.

Exactly what I was going to say. While I appreciated the large pictures shown for samples, where I think they really missed the boat is that they should show grades for books of similar age. Ideally the best thing to do would be to get Pictures of a single book in all those grades.

I think it would be educational to all.

Do modern age, bronze, silver, ga samples.

Artboy99

Nice site. Noticed that the front bottom right hand cover corner on Star Wars 9 (NM+/MT- 9.8 Example) isn’t the sharpest.....damaged in the slab (could it have been assigned the grade otherwise)?

Could simply be overhang on the front cover,...note that the back cover does not have any damage in the same area. Of course SCS is still a possibility...but the book is not a 9.9 or 10.0 so there had to be something to drop it to a 9.8. And finally, large scans make even the most minor of flaws look worse than they are. Most of us learned that during the "grading contest" last year.

Nice site. Noticed that the front bottom right hand cover corner on Star Wars 9 (NM+/MT- 9.8 Example) isn’t the sharpest.....damaged in the slab (could it have been assigned the grade otherwise)?

Could simply be overhang on the front cover,...note that the back cover does not have any damage in the same area. Of course SCS is still a possibility...but the book is not a 9.9 or 10.0 so there had to be something to drop it to a 9.8. And finally, large scans make even the most minor of flaws look worse than they are. Most of us learned that during the "grading contest" last year.

The book is probably a 9.8 due to the mis-wrap of the front cover....no?

The book is probably a 9.8 due to the mis-wrap of the front cover....no?

Uh, no....to my understanding, cover miswrap shouldn't cause much if any drop in the grade. We've seen plenty of 9.8 books on the boards with big miswraps. I believe that miswraps are counted as printing defects not structural flaws. All the old-timers should chime in at any time now, and confirm which way it is.