• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

killer JIM #83 on pedigree....

106 posts in this topic

That's a very pretty book, but it's time for a "Time-Out"!

$65,000.00 BIN? 893whatthe.gif

$65,000.00 would buy you a VF Captain America Comics # 1, or you could go to Metropolis and buy the October edition VG/F Marvel Comics # 1,.....for me (and it may be only me) I would spend that kind of money on either of those two books before I would ever pay that much for a Silver Age book, 9.4 or not. I believe that is about the price the Showcase # 4 CGC NM- 9.2 (top census) went for. At least I can see that for the first Silver Age comic. Just MHO. hi.gif

I know this is a difficult book in high grade, but I'd be very satisfied with a VF for much less! makepoint.gif

Showcase # 4 CGC NM- 9.2 (top census)
There's a 9.4 out there! makepoint.gif

Really? I wonder what that will sell for? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Still, for $ 65,000.00 I'd rather buy a Cap # 1 VF or that Marvel Comics # 1 for that kind of bling-bling, you know what I'm saying? And I'll take that hammer back from you now, thank you very much! makepoint.gif

Or, I'd spend the $ 65,000.00 on one of your sweet, sweet 100 pagers! poke2.gifdevil.gif

Well before I'd spend $65,000 on just one book I'd probably take me a month to make a final decision. My first reaction would be to buy GA but if I ruled that out I'd have to consider an AF#15 in high grade just because you know that book will always be a hot item and in terms of investment would be pretty sound. But if you have a high grade run of J.I.M.'s you'd have to give this book some consideration. If they ever do the movie right this book will skyrocket.

Still, for $ 65,000.00 I'd rather buy a Cap # 1 VF or that Marvel Comics # 1 for that kind of bling-bling, you know what I'm saying? And I'll take that hammer back from you now, thank you very much! makepoint.gif

Or, I'd spend the $ 65,000.00 on one of your sweet, sweet 100 pagers! poke2.gifdevil.gif

Actually didn't Jon say there is also a raw Church copy of Showcase that could be 9.6. I think Metro owns the 9.4 copy?

I'd probably buy the Nic Cage Marvel Comics #1 that is an October print if I had that kind of coin. You just don't see too many October issues.

Considering that Metro owns it (last time I checked), a lot of $$

Actually didn't Jon say there is also a raw Church copy of Showcase that could be 9.6. I think Metro owns the 9.4 copy?

I'd probably buy the Nic Cage Marvel Comics #1 that is an October print if I had that kind of coin. You just don't see too many October issues.

Yes, Metro does own the 9.4 copy. No price known. Another dealer I know believes he has a 9.6 copy that has yet to be slabbed. We should find out this May. I don't believe it is a Church copy. Is there a Church copy?

Yes, Metro does own the 9.4 copy. No price known. Another dealer I know believes he has a 9.6 copy that has yet to be slabbed. We should find out this May. I don't believe it is a Church copy. Is there a Church copy?

Nope. Also, apparently Gary Carter's Cosmic Aeroplane copy that was pictured on the first Overstreet Grading Guide is now in the hands of some unknown Japanese investors/collectors.

My mistake I thought you mentioned that it was a raw copy from some sort of Pedigree?

Well before I'd spend $65,000 on just one book I'd probably take me a month to make a final decision. My first reaction would be to buy GA but if I ruled that out I'd have to consider an AF#15 in high grade just because you know that book will always be a hot item and in terms of investment would be pretty sound. But if you have a high grade run of J.I.M.'s you'd have to give this book some consideration. If they ever do the movie right this book will skyrocket.

Don't know if you've seen the movie Troy yet, but i was thinking to myself, Brad Pitt would make a great Thor. Just a thought.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Don't know if you've seen the movie Troy yet, but i was thinking to myself, Brad Pitt would make a great Thor. Just a thought.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Haven't seen Troy yet but wouldn't you think that they need an actor who is a little more imposing? Pitt is too small and short. Can't think of anyone that could fit the bill but they would probably be better off finding an unknown actor. The story lines that are available have the potential to make this into an epic like the Lords of the Rings.

here I am comparing Golden Age to Silver Age,....and in The Silver Age Forum too,...my bad!

But when you think about what $65,000.00 dollars means, well I just start thinking: "What would the Lone Ranger do in a situation like this?"

I wouldn't ever want to own the highest graded copy. Comics are enough of a "commodity" as is now, at the highest grade you're bordering on owning a pure "commodity". I think, in all honesty, if given the choice between 2 copies of a book that I REALLY wanted for my collection and one was the HCGC I'd take the other. I can't imagine the # of offers people get rolling in on a day-to-day basis for HCGC keys.

Brian

I wouldn't ever want to own the highest graded copy. Comics are enough of a "commodity" as is now, at the highest grade you're bordering on owning a pure "commodity". I think, in all honesty, if given the choice between 2 copies of a book that I REALLY wanted for my collection and one was the HCGC I'd take the other. I can't imagine the # of offers people get rolling in on a day-to-day basis for HCGC keys.

Brian

Brian, I can appreciate what you've said, but are you saying you would not want the highest graded copy because of all the demand for the highest graded copies, or something else?

My point is that, to me, there is way too much obsession with "highest graded copies" or "ultra high grades" to the point that the dollars envoled become rediculous, considering what else you could get for the same money.

Example: $65,000.00 for a JIM # 83 CGC 9.4 or $ 65,000.00 for a Captain America Comics # 1 VF? To me the Captain America Comics # 1 VF is the better buy, and that may just be me. confused-smiley-013.gif

The demand and offers of ridiculous money simply win out in the end. I've owned 2 ASM books that were highest on census. I was able to resist offers for a while but eventually had to sell both.

That's why I'd rather have a "run of the mill" 2nd or 3rd HCGC as opposed to the HCGC.

Brian

The demand and offers of ridiculous money simply win out in the end. I've owned 2 ASM books that were highest on census. I was able to resist offers for a while but eventually had to sell both.

That's why I'd rather have a "run of the mill" 2nd or 3rd HCGC as opposed to the HCGC.

Brian

Wow! I understand what you're saying, but it's just crazy to me all the obssesion for "ultra-high grade"!

I would understand Golden Age "ultra-high" grade, especially pre 1943-45 books (given their scarcity due to the paper drives) & even a Showcase # 4, which is much less common that a FF # 1 , AF # 15 or an Amazing Spider-Man # 1.

And I do appreciate that JIM # 83 is a bear in high grade.

This obssesion is the same thing that drives lesser books like "higest graded" Spawn # 1 sales, or what ever other "flavor-of-the-month" books.

65K or 60K whatever it sells for is not so bad a price. Compared to the other comics in that price range, its a super tough book and a major key. Thts just the world we live in about now. AF15 of course is the Grail book, but if you follow the logic that any of the comics we love are worth 'silly' amounts of money, JIM 83 in 9.4 wiht only 3 copies so far and only one better is a decent deal.

You do have the fact that its only THORs first appearance who is not a household name, however. so you CAN worry about long-term value against say an Action#1 or Tec 27 , which, as you say, might be a better, safer, 'investment'. But any comic at 65K doesnt escape the basic question: Are ANY of the comics we love and covet worth that kind of dough? Speaking for myself, the answer is Gosh Yes. But ask the man in the street??? No Way. But whatta they know anyway???