• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How is Big Wow?

12 posts in this topic

Since WonderCon left the San Francisco Bay Area, the Big WOW show has grown in leaps and bounds. In 2013, Steve Wyatt got Stan Lee to show up, resulting in an absolutely packed show. At a prior show, Jim Lee showed up and was drawing sketches for the attendees.

A decent number of comic book vendors show up including A-1 Comics, House of Comics, Ray Storch, Terry O'Neil, Harley Yee, Moonball Comics (owned by Steve), and many other comic book dealers. I saw Bechara Maalouf of Nostalgic Investments (OA dealer), Neal Adams, and Bob Chapman of Graphitti Designs, who sells the exclusive SDCC tshirts .

I go on Sunday to get free street parking.

Is it typically a small show?

Since Wondercon left town and is not likely to return, the show has gotten bigger with more programming and panels. Big WOW is not going to gigantic like SDCC or NYC, but you could spend hours looking through the boxes of comics. When Stan Lee showed up in 2013, I felt like I was at SDCC. Big WOW may have some exclusive comic covers, but no exclusive toys.

I am biased since I know Steve Wyatt, but Big WOW is a nice show in a great location.

secretly good for original art. all artists/creators are pretty accessible, unless they're drunk. Which has happened much more than I would have thought. I've only gone twice, and encountered at least 5 very red faced creators at different times, who I'm pretty sure did not get drunk together at the same time.

This show has been my "hidden secret" for years for the wealth of comic artists. Personal friends of the show include Travis Charest, Frank Cho, Adam Hughes and more. They usually get international and hard to get talent, they has definitely grown due to the lack of WonderCon in SF. I love this show, I'm missing 2 days of Star Wars Celebration to go this year. I love telling people about this show, I just ask you don't bid against me at the art auction if you come. :) if you like underground comics and artists, good selection here. I'm embarrassed to hear about the red faced artists but I think you'll have a good time if you go to this show.

This show has been my "hidden secret" for years for the wealth of comic artists. Personal friends of the show include Travis Charest, Frank Cho, Adam Hughes and more. They usually get international and hard to get talent, they has definitely grown due to the lack of WonderCon in SF. I love this show, I'm missing 2 days of Star Wars Celebration to go this year. I love telling people about this show, I just ask you don't bid against me at the art auction if you come. :) if you like underground comics and artists, good selection here. I'm embarrassed to hear about the red faced artists but I think you'll have a good time if you go to this show.

don't be embarrassed about the red faced artists, in most cases they were very loquacious and I got to hear some good stories or have a laugh, although in one case resulted in seemingly subpar sketch cover. I think it just shows how loose and relaxed the environment is.