• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Thor 231 (Double Cover)

8 posts in this topic

It only took me 40 years since I purchased it off the newsstand in 1/1975 to figure out this comic had a double cover. Other than a Man-Thing 8 I first discovered soon after I joined this forum several years ago this is only the 2nd OO double cover that I know I own.

Worst defect by far is the ding to the lower spine corner that affects both covers and to a much lesser extent the interior pages. Since there does not appear to be much if any color break on either cover my guess is this could be improved significantly by a press. The interior cover really looks bright and clean enough to have been printed yesterday.

All thoughts/opinions on what the grade would be before and/or after a press are appreciated. I might be interested in slabbing it if I thought it had a chance to get above 9.0 with a press, though I know it would not be economic to do so for anyone but me as the last GPA for a 9.6 double cover is only $20.

scans

original.jpg

original.jpg

Pic show ding and slight ncb readers crease better than scan.

large.jpg

Closeup pics of ding outer and inner covers

large.jpg

large.jpg

Last but not least these pics show how clean and sharp the inner cover is.

original.jpg

original.jpg

I think the biggest issue is the slight foxing at the top center of the outer cover.

I have an X-Men double cover where the grades are 2.0/9.8 The outer cover got a 2.0 as the back cover has about 1/8th missing.

I think the biggest issue is the slight foxing at the top center of the outer cover.

I have an X-Men double cover where the grades are 2.0/9.8 The outer cover got a 2.0 as the back cover has about 1/8th missing.

In regards to the outer cover I think you are right on the slight foxing. Since the vast majority of my OO books from that time and earlier have no foxing my focus went to the corner ding.

That's a pretty good spread on your X-Men. Though this one might have been 9.6/9.8 on the inner without the corner ding, my thinking is that this one would be closer to 6.5/7.0 on the outer cover even with the foxing. Since I have not submitted anything with foxing I might be off base on how much even slight foxing might get hammered..

I would not see the point in slabbing a double cover book.

I'm not sure how to grade two covers like this--

I guess people slab them for the same reasons they slab any other book, though in this case I would agree it would be a shame to hide the gorgeous inner cover.

My understanding is that CGC gives two separate grades as if each cover were the only cover on the book. It then notes both grades on the label with the primary grade on the label being the higher of the two. When I look at GPA it seems the double covers go for a slight premium over a single of the same main grade, though I might have to think about that if I was buying one like Blow Up the Moon described above with a 2.0 outer and 9.8 inner grade. My theory is that one could always tear out the lower grade cover and have an original comic left deserving of the higher grade, though I really don't think anyone would consider doing that.