• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone here collect these?

9 posts in this topic

what's the question, star wars comics or the 35 cent diamond price version?

i had been collecting the marvel star wars comics, but now i have too many, so they had better be pretty darn cheap

speaking of which, i have a "yellow" 35 cent diamond battlestarr galactica #1 -- is this just the newstand vs. direct distinction or something more interesting? no notation in OPG.

double speaking of which, i think the new galactica series is pretty good (and i'm not someone who loves sci fi channel fodder -- i never watch stargate or any of the other series) i have my DVR set to save that one for later viewing.

The latter.

I also have Battlestar Galactica 1(yellow star)-3, a couple more issues of SW, and a micronuats #1.

Just curious if these versions are worth seperating from the rest. confused-smiley-013.gif

These (well pretty sure on the Micronauts and the Star Wars anyway) are reprints. Very common and not worth a whole lot. Most people collecting a run of Star Wars want an original...not a reprint.

....just not sure on the Battlestar Gallactica though.

The latter.

I also have Battlestar Galactica 1(yellow star)-3, a couple more issues of SW, and a micronuats #1.

Just curious if these versions are worth seperating from the rest. confused-smiley-013.gif

There are many many other books that have this kind of variant - there was a thread maybe a year ago where JC and others got into it (surprise, surprise) as to whether or not those books are reprints. I have a bunch of Invaders that have that weird slug, also a couple FFs.

if they're reprints, why isn't there a notation in the OPG or something on the book that says so?

the price section is weird in that they all/many of them seem to have that printing error where a little bit of the "diamond" is covered with black.

i assume the 40 cent cover price shogun warriors #1 is a reprint? (the regular one has the "still only 35 cents" starburst)

What I am curious about, is the yellow price area.

Are there versions of the same comics with white price areas?

The diamond area usually means that they are direct printings, which are not reprints. Usually referred to as Whitman prints, they are direct sale versions before things really got going on the direct market.

http://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/Direct/index.htm

this whole thing is really confusing

perhaps in some parts of the country non-newstand versions are rarer (although i guess the interest in collecting these is more to have a "complete set" than rarity of any given issue?). but where i am (NY), i suspect that by the late 70s most (or at least a lot of) new comics were being sold in comic shops. there seemed to be more comic shops then than there are now. fewer and fewer newstands were even carrying comics.

I know in these parts, there were no comic shops until around mid 80's. At least none that I am aware of.

Everything had to be purchased at a newstand, or more commonly the local convenience store.

The only direct sale versions I ever saw were the whitman 3 packs that one of the local grocery stores carried.

I know I was bummed when Marvel pulled their stunt of making 3 series direct sale only. I had been buying 2 of them until then, but then I couldn't get them anywhere frown.gif

As to collectability, yeah, it's more for completeness than any real value (though if you look at Mile High, they have almost doubled the prices on some whitman's over the regular version crazy.gif )

I am betting though that newstand versions of recent comics are a whole lot rarer.