• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The "It" Book Conundrum

41 posts in this topic

Don't you love it/hate it when a book that you have loved for years becomes popular and now it's not that book that was read/discussed/love by a niche within the comic community? It's become mainstream and even non-comic readers know about it.

Nope. Don't love or hate it.

On the other hand... It makes collecting more difficult, especially if the hype sets in just before you are planning to purchase a book.

Well, if it's one I had loved for years then hopefully I already have a copy. If not then that could be annoying. I don't particularly care for owning the originals of most things though, as long as a high quality HC exists. Or a decent reprint. But on the rare occasion something I want because it has never and likely will never be reprinted becomes sought after before I get my copy, yeah, that's annoying.

What's most annoying of all is when a comic with a great story and great art is looked at as nothing more than a "hot item" by everyone talking about it. Ooh, variants! Ooh, print runs! Ooh, TV show rumors! Ooh, signature series and 9.8 and census and eBay results! Sometimes a comic will look interesting and there will be a 40 page thread for it and not one mention of the contents. Just all that stuff.

That's really the best part of liking a comic that is worthless as a collectible, if it gets any discussion, it will be on the merits of the contents.