• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Too early to start recommending candidates for book of the year?

4 posts in this topic

Just out, this impressive leatherette bound coffee table book, The Martian Legion, pays tribute to the writings of Edgar Rice Burroughs. Conceived by author Jake (Buddy) Saunders and published by Russ Cochran, this hefty volume is beautifully illustrated to convey all the romance of the period which inspired ERB's imaginative tales.

This novel can only be described as a labor of love from a life-long fan of ERB and the pulp genre in general. If that sounds like your cuppa tea I wouldn't wait around too long to acquire a copy because it is a limited edition with the most impressive volumes numbered & slipcased.

I was wowed by pre-publication copies at the OAFcon in OKC back in November and intended posting information about this earlier, but was asked by Buddy to hold off until copies were available in quantity.

Finally, the cone of silence has been lifted! smiley-happy057.gif

IMG_3433-3634394798-O.jpg

This handsome work is available in five embossed hardcover tiers, the top four of which are numbered slipcased editions, with personalized certificates and medallions. Note: This limited edition is not being distributed through traditional discount sellers like Amazon. It may seem pricy, but I assure you, this puppy is worth every penny. And for the record, I have no marketing arrangement to endorse this book.

If you'd like to know more or order a copy, details are provided at the publisher's link below...

http://www.themartianlegion.com

Highly recommended. (thumbs u

Thanks much, Cat. I for one really appreciate this kind of info. Maybe this thread could be devoted to other potential candidates? (I just got my copy of the Nelvana book and that is one example.)

I found myself wondering what would happen if, say, an archaeologist from 102015 AD unearthed a platinum coin from Barsoom, and what history of us they would reconstruct?

Here is a review of the book:

http://www.erbzine.com/legion/review.html

It seems it's less about reading than living it.

You're welcome! Buddy venturing back into writing again after all these years building Lone Star Comics is a big enough deal (his first sic-fi novel, The Texas-Israeli War: 1999, co-written with Howard Waldrop was up for numerous awards back in the 70's -- see link below), but to do it in such a spectacular fashion, paying homage to a life-long passion for the work of ERB is a mind-bogglingly ambitious undertaking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Texas-Israeli_War:_1999

Texas-Israeli+War+1999.jpg