• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conan question????

37 posts in this topic

if there's no demand, how come they keep on selling on ebay at decent prices in 8.0+ (albeit slabbed)

i'm talking a real 9.0 or better, not a raw 5.0 that some seller claims is a 9.0

case in point: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33811&item=6506532094&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33811&item=6506531110&rd=1

yep, it's only a $5-10 book in that condition

here's a 5.0 or so (listed as a 9.0) that broke $20: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33811&item=6504839757&rd=1

you'll need to put in a huge scan to prove it (raw)

and maybe pretty good feedback

as for dealer selling at 1/3.. why would they let you cherry pick their books at a huge discount? i see this stuff selling at shows and they never stay on my LCSeses wall for long (at 20-40% of guide, not just high grade either)

when i search for completed auctions i see a lot of green on these books... yes, low and midgrades sell at a big discount -- better be sure they're 9.0 or better

I suppose if I were still buying these books at shows (rather than trying to find VG-copies in the $1-2 bin) I'd haggle it this way --- "nahhh, no way these are 9.0s, these look like slabbed 6.0s I have in my collection.... I'll pay 50% of the 6.0 price... and then maybe he bumps you up a bit because he knows you're pushing an undergrade and, at the end of the day, maybe you do pay the $500.. but it can't be "I'll pay you 1/3 of the 9.0 price"... gottah get it so that your discount is based on a lower grade than you think they have a shot at

anyway, i suppose i'm looking at this more from the perspective of "can i get my money back or more tomorrow" than, "can i flip these and make a 100% profit"

(p.s. -- not trying to start any flame wars here -- the truth lies somewhere between "they're dogs" and "there's a good market for these", and if you'r purely looking for quick flip speculation, maybe $500 is too high, although i don't think you can get that set in 9.0+ for less than $500 on ebay trying to hunt them down through lots, single auctions, etc., particularly because you'll get a lot of 5.0 - 7.0s in the process.

do people here really think they need CGC's seal of approval before they can consider a book a 9.0?

Blob: I think the point here was that the likelihood that the raw books would actually be in the 9.0 to 9.2 range was minimal - not that they're a bad investment simply because they're unslabbed.

I've actually shopped around for many of the BWS Conans in the past couple of years. Got a #1 off eBay in about FN+ as part of a lot that sold for about $30 and included issue 5 in decent shape as well. Bought some of the Elric issues at WonderCon, and upgraded my #s 23 and 24. I didn't find prices to be all that low, for raw books in true high grade (9.0 to 9.4).

But I think most of the naysayers on this thread are assuming the books aren't quite in the VF/NM range...and if they're even a half-grade below that, $500 would be overpaying.

if he's a dealer i don't see why he would let them go for $500 in that alleged condition

with that said, in 9.0 that stack of books is $1467 in OPG. if you have some 9.2s and 9.4s in there, and none of them are under 9.0...., maybe we're pushing $1800 in OPG?

why would the dealer sell these high grade books at 1/3 of guide?

as for the books being "dogs"... #2 (granted, in 9.8) just went for $1200 or something like that. i think there's some interest in this stuff. the number of posters alone on these boards putting together the BWS conan run alone would indicate interest.

how much would it cost to PGA them?

i wouldn't pay a grand, but that's mainly because the difference between a tight 6.0 and tight 9.0 doesn't mean that much to me.

but i'd grab that for $500 in a heartbeat. of course, it's a title i actually like and anything above an 8.0 would probably be an upgrade on all of those issues for me.

do people here really think they need CGC's seal of approval before they can consider a book a 9.0? i like cgc when i'm laying down money for a book on ebay with a lousy scan or whatever, unknown seller, etc. i don't think i need it for an "in person" purchase on bronze age books where mastermind restoration probably isn't an issue. not for a 9.0, maybe higher. i tend to downgrade 9.4s and 9.2s to 9.0 for grading purposes I suppose. well, in person i guess i downgrade them to VFs to be safe.

If you paid $500 for that collection, you're overpaying. Again, outside of 1, 3, and maybe 24, there is no demand for the series at all NONE. Figure for $5-10 TOPS for issues 10-23, even in VF/NM 9.0 condition.

why would the dealer sell these high grade books at 1/3 of guide?

Because that's more than he'll get for them on the marketplace, and he can move the books RIGHT NOW.

5$ each for issues 10-23 in VF/NM????!!!!!!!! 893whatthe.gifmakepoint.gif27_laughing.gif

fell free to send me these, ok?! wink.gifgrin.gifscrewy.gif

regards

"Blob: I think the point here was that the likelihood that the raw books would actually be in the 9.0 to 9.2 range was minimal - not that they're a bad investment simply because they're unslabbed."

were this a proposed ebay purchase, i would agree 200%, but, in person? i guess it depends on who is doing the buying and whether they trust their own judgment.

of course, those books would need to be perfect for me to consider them 9.0/9.2s for the prupose of figuring out what kind of discount off guide i wanted.

i too have picked this stuff up in 6.5 and less pretty cheap, but the "completed" auctions on legit high grade copies of these books on ebay seem to indicate that they get ok prices.. good enough to pay 2/3 or so of guide unslabbed, maybe not, i don't know. probably not enough potential profit there to lay out a grand.

how did the high grade world function before 1999 or thereabouts? we had no slabs then. people (sometimes) paid guide or thereabouts for VF to NM books.

Conans' have not been very hot for more then twenty years. They've sold at a pretty big discount from guide for as long as I've been on the dealer side of the table.

that said,I'd happily pay $500 for a complete set of Smith Conans,if they were all true VF/NMs(or 9.0s) or better.Wouldn't give them a second glance at $1,000 though.Wouldn't sell them as anything but a set either.

"They've sold at a pretty big discount from guide for as long as I've been on the dealer side of the table."

Nobody is doubting that. The same can be said for most early BA books out there. Clearly from recent auction results though, they do fetch a premium in 9.4 or better and slabbed 8.5 and better don't do horribly either. Of course, spending $20+ to slab a book that guides for $30-50 doesn't make much sense. With that said, a book need not be "hot" to get over 1/3 (maybe 1/4) of guide in high grade. We're not talking about "is 15% off guide a good deal".. this was 2/3 of guide (too high given the uncertainty of hitting 9.0 or better upon microscope exam) with some people saying you're getting robbed at 1/3 of guide (assuming 9.0, especially on the expensive books, an "average" 9.0 is no good if the 1 and 3 are 8.0s and the average is raised by the cheapies being 9.2s.

As a dealer, would you unload that set in that stated condition for $500 if you didn't have a kidney transplant to pay for or foreclosure or whatever?

7-10 years ago, pre-ebay, you could make that deal all the time. but more and more dealers are saying "F-you, I'll take my chances on ebay" rather than getting lowballed at a show on material they think is nice. (I've gotten this line enough times already, I don't bother with the higher end stuff anymore, just dive into the cheapo long boxes.)

With that said, unlike a lot of other dreck out there, they do move when priced right and do not need to be high grade either. They, like lots of other things, gather dust when priced wrong.

As I just stated I would happily pay $500 for a Vf/NM set,a rational person would conclude that I wouldn't be inclined to sell a set at that price.As you appear to just want to argue with any and all who respond-Good Day to you, Sir.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6505697858&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT

ah hah... someone paid over 50% of guide for a raw #6 allegedly in NM!

I want you to tell Donut that he's a bad person for calling Conan a dog.

I'm not arguing, just don't like all this dissing of Conan. The fact that I have a closet full of 70s conan books that I've been aging does not factor into the equation. Not at all.

Conan raw is a total and complete dog book, and you should be able to get 1-24 in the low NM range for at least half that, maybe more. Outside of 1, 3 and maybe 24, there's no demand for the book at all, even with the Dark Horse series. Offer him $400 and see if he bites.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Late last year I sold the following raw (other then the #1) issues for $600.

1 CGC 8.0

9 NM

22 NM-

23 VF

30 NM-

31 NM+

37 NM-

38 NM+

39 NM-

40 NM

42 NM+

44 VF/NM

45 VF/NM

49 NM

55 NM+

56 NM

57 NM

58 VF

59 NM

60 NM/M

61 NM

62 NM

63 NM

64 NM

65 NM

66 NM+

67 NM

68 NM

69 NM

70 NM

71 NM

72 NM

73 NM

75 NM

77 NM+

78 NM

79 NM

80 NM+

83 NM+

84 NM

85 NM

86 NM

87 NM+

89 NM

90 VF+

91 NM+

92 NM+

93 NM+

94 NM+

95 NM

96 NM

98 NM+

99 NM+

100 NM

wow, 30-100 (minus whichever is the enal adams issue in there) in any condition i wouldn't have thought could fetch more than a couple of bucks each and i love them as much as the next guy. most of them only guide for like $5-7 anyway.