• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would You Rather ...

35 posts in this topic

I am more of a choice C person. I will take anything I can get my hands on as long as it fits my price for that copy. If I see an upgrade I will get it. That is how I got my MAD collection.

Since that is not an option I will choose Choice A all the way.

I do have a question for the OP though. Assuming option A...

Would you start off buying the key issue(s) first and then chase the smaller stuff, or would it be the other way around?

I've tended to buy the non keys first.

I do have a question for the OP though. Assuming option A...

Would you start off buying the key issue(s) first and then chase the smaller stuff, or would it be the other way around?

I've tended to buy the non keys first.

There are plenty of runs I didn't intend to do, but I got a good deal on the key, and felt compelled to finish the rest. However, if you want to do a run, buy what you find when you find it, because you may not have the same opportunity later.

To this day, I'm haunted by a mid to high grade set of Tomb of Dracula missing the 1 and 10 that went for peanuts on eBay 10 or 15 years ago. I passed it over because I wasn't financially stable, and it wasn't in my focus. I found a really nice 1 and 10 shortly after, and although I've found a lot of the others, I still don't have the heart to pay full value on the issues I'm missing.

I'd have to go with the high grade key books since the rest of the set are basically reader copies to some extent. I'd love to have a high grade complete set but you can't pass up high grade key books if they pop up at a good price. The surrounding issues are also usually really easy to upgrade in the future.

I think I could live with the low grade key...... FF #2 - 100 in VF is a nice consolation..... or ASM #2 - 100 :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

+1 all day

I think I could live with the low grade key...... FF #2 - 100 in VF is a nice consolation..... or ASM #2 - 100 :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

+1 all day

The other advantage to this method is that it only requires you to find one book to get the entire run in in VF or better.

hm Of course the hunt is part of the fun.

Yeah, I'd take a low grade key in lieu of some really sweet high grade books in the run. A VF+ run of X-Men 2-100? Man, that would be impressive.

Depends on the run I think - i.e., a run of Fantastic Four 1- 100 has so many "keys" that would be expensive to upgrade (#4, 5, 45, 48, 49, 52 to name a few), similar with Avengers (#4, 16, 55, 57) and the leader in that regard Spider-Man (2, 3, 4, 14, 15, 20, 50, etc.) so with respect to those books I would want the low grade key and VF+ run (assuming issues 1-100).

On the other hand if the run was Thor then the rest of the books are relatively affordable (outside of JIM 85 and a couple of others) or if the run was X-Men then again the other books are relatively affordable (outside of 4 and 94 and maybe GSXM 1 if that counts). So in these cases I would take the high grade key and lower grade run, because I could upgrade.

But that is not how "Would You Rather" works - so I would take the low grade key with the VF+ run (I think .....)