• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

St. Louis landmark comic shop Star Clipper is closing

24 posts in this topic

why didn't they have back issues? just lazy or what?

I collected in the 70's and 80's where comic shops were "Back issue stores" because direct was still picking up.

so its hard for a lot of guys to consider a comic book shop a real comic shop without back issues.

ya know that smell of old ink brings in bucks I hear..

why didn't they have back issues? just lazy or what?

I collected in the 70's and 80's where comic shops were "Back issue stores" because direct was still picking up.

so its hard for a lot of guys to consider a comic book shop a real comic shop without back issues.

ya know that smell of old ink brings in bucks I hear..

I also find comic shops without back issues less appealing. Flipping through long boxes and seeing old books can bring nostalgia, appeal to the collector for completing a run, the treasure hunter, introduce you to "new" old books, etc.

But what a comic shop needs to stay in business is a gaming side IMO. Either Magic or one of those anime cartoon games I never played but I hear bring in bucks, like Yu gi oh or Pokemon. Those card games sell a ton of booster packs and can keep a comic store going through tough times.