• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

St. Louis landmark comic shop Star Clipper is closing

24 posts in this topic

It's been news around here for a few weeks, and I doubt many will care, but Star Clipper is closing. They've been in business for 27 years selling new comics and trades and pop culture merch. No back issues. But they were a great comic oasis in a very touristy section of town. Big store. Well laid out. Professional staff. Hosted tons of music/art/comic events with local talent and had the best selection of small and indie press comics in the area. Ben and AJ and Star Clipper will be missed.

For those of you curious as to the why, take a read here.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2015/01/why_owners_of_star_clipper_pulled_the_plug_on_beloved_st_louis_comic_book_shop.php

I have only been to this store a hand full of times as I generally visited Newcastle, Star Clipper just had to many toys and Anime for my liking. Closing a B&M store is never easy and all the people that are coming in now that "can't believe the store is closing" should have came in before if they really meant it.

I have only been to this store a hand full of times as I generally visited Newcastle, Star Clipper just had to many toys and Anime for my liking. Closing a B&M store is never easy and all the people that are coming in now that "can't believe the store is closing" should have came in before if they really meant it.

so if my LCS decided to carry so much pop culture that it had to close due to bad inventory management, then it's my fault for not buying said ?

so if my LCS decided to carry so much pop culture that it had to close due to bad inventory management, then it's my fault for not buying said ?

That's not why they had to close.

I personally, not having spoken to Ben or AJ, think it falls more to high rent and lower foot traffic translating to lower sales. They had a fairly decent pull business with locals and students. Having a large inventory of trades means you're competing against Amazon which is difficult. Heck, you have overcome the 9% sales tax difference before you even go down the path of discounting to come close.

No, that would be their own fault. Though they did state that 2014 had been a stand out year.

In the article they elude that many people are now coming with words of condolence and the usual "I don't understand why blah blah" and purchasing things. If you are one of those people then you are a donkey.

Sad to hear. It was a very nice store, though no back issues.

I can't imagine the overhead they had with their location. Just trying to break even would require crazy volume.

I loved the store for all of the tpb's and HC's and independent underground self published stuff, but.... really they had one wall devoted to new releases (though a big wall that stretched the length of the store) and the rest of the shop was devoted to everything else.

If you're NOT going to do gaming , you'd better - a) have a great back issue clientele that you cater to (which they didn't) or have the majority of the space you pay for St. Louis' over priced rent devoted to new release comics you turn over on a regular basis. (which they weren't)

The few times I was in there the last year, I could tell someone was no longer regulating what they were ordering very well....

Sad to see it go...

which store in st louis has back issues?

Ugh. Not many, at least that I'm aware of anymore.

All-American Comics on Hampton in The Hill neighborhood has some Silver and Gold. Prices are high and the owner told me everything is "non-negotiable". FWIW, I wasn't exactly low balling the guy.

Owner doesn't believe in grading, and simply prices books "for what I think they'll sell for", all of which is his right, of course. He's been around a long time, so I guess he knows what works for him.......

Condescending attitude and lack of friendly greeting are free.

Just my experience the couple of times that I visited the store, maybe others have different observations.

I've heard there's a store in St. Charles that has some vintage books, but I haven't made my way out there. I live on the East side, and just don't make it to St. Charles County often.

All-American Comics on Hampton in The Hill neighborhood has some Silver and Gold. Prices are high and the owner told me everything is "non-negotiable". FWIW, I wasn't exactly low balling the guy.

Owner doesn't believe in grading, and simply prices books "for what I think they'll sell for", all of which is his right, of course. He's been around a long time, so I guess he knows what works for him.......

Just my experience the couple of times that I visited the store, maybe others have different observations.

I've heard there's a store in St. Charles that has some vintage books, but I haven't made my way out there. I live on the East side, and just don't make it to St. Charles County often.

Spot on.

The market for Silver and Gold at comic book stores in the St. Louis area is nearly nonexistent. There are a few small shows in the area that you can find some deals at, but at an actual store... don't see much of anything.

However, with you being on the East Side, I'd say you have to check out Main Street Music in Waterloo, IL (108 N Market Street

Waterloo, Illinois). He's always got Silver, Gold, and everything else - Magazines, fanzines, pulps, paperbacks, toys... you won't be disappointed!

Tell Dave I sent you!

Spot on.

The market for Silver and Gold at comic book stores in the St. Louis area is nearly nonexistent. There are a few small shows in the area that you can find some deals at, but at an actual store... don't see much of anything.

However, with you being on the East Side, I'd say you have to check out Main Street Music in Waterloo, IL (108 N Market Street

Waterloo, Illinois). He's always got Silver, Gold, and everything else - Magazines, fanzines, pulps, paperbacks, toys... you won't be disappointed!

Tell Dave I sent you!

Yep. Dave's store is worth the drive and it's always a great experience. Highly recommended.

Back when Sonny and Carol Denbow opened this store in the late 80s it was one of the most progressive stores in the country. Carol was a member of the old DLG and was an expert on indies. She was a very smart businessperson. When she sold (to the current owners I assume), it lost her personal touch.

Back when Sonny and Carol Denbow opened this store in the late 80s it was one of the most progressive stores in the country. Carol was a member of the old DLG and was an expert on indies. She was a very smart businessperson. When she sold (to the current owners I assume), it lost her personal touch.

Yeah, I remember Carol, she was great. The times I talked to her she would end up showing me some comic or book I didn't have or didn't know about. But it'd always be something, I knew I had to have. She knew how to listen, and she knew what her customers were looking for.

Also on the East Side, for new books, I've frequented the Fantasy Books stores for the last ten years. Particularly the Belleville store, over the years everyone there has been friendly and extremely helpful, from the owner on down. Good people!

Absolutely agree. Any TPB I pick up comes from the Fantasy Books on Highway 50 in O'Fallon. Terrific staff, very nice guys.

I remember when Fantasy was just in what is now an appliance store in Collinsville. LOTS of Silver back in the day. A stack of Avengers #1s and Daredevil #1s comes to mind, along with a few different ASM #1s. Fell in love with Silver Age Marvels at that store.

And thanks for the heads up on the shop in Waterloo. I stopped by to say hello to the owner and look around. Cool store.

I also live on the East Side and frequent Twilight Comics in the Dierberg's / Target shopping center in Shiloh. Not real strong on back issues but not terrible either. Prices seem pretty reasonable.

There is also a shop on Main St. in downtown Collinsville. Store is pretty much a mess but if you have the time to sort through stuff they have some back issues as well. And a cool vintage Marvel / Spidey sign on the outside back of the store.

Thanks for the tip on the Waterloo store, will have to check that out on a trip to Annbriar G.C.