• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kermit's Pad

57 posts in this topic

P.S. We have recently implemented a second pre-shipment inspection to our process to make sure no NM/MT books go out as MT.

What about the Fines and Fine/Very Fines?

Can those still slide out as a Mint? confused-smiley-013.gif

As I mentioned on the other thread in the Grading forum, Joe from Kermits Pad was nice enough to refund my money without hassle for the chipped X-Men #113.

Good, because that wasn't a NM/MT that went out as Mint. It was more like VF- at best.

Here are a few more excellent Rabbi books I bought. Too bad about the miswrap on the Iron Fist 15, because it's a real 9.8 candidate! I had been looking for a great copy of that book for a few years, and although I'd trade it along with cash for an equivalent structure and a perfect wrap, it's pretty darned nice. cloud9.gif

avengers87.jpg

hulk162.jpg

IronFist15.jpg

Thanks for all the support guys.

Even Kermit now admits that he wasn't spending enough time looking at them when he was doing database entry. I think we had about 18 longboxes from the Rabbi alone that he was trying to get listed as quickly as possible, and his attention to detail slipped.

We've been catching minor imperfections on our pre-shipment inspections, and regrading and refunding when appropriate. We also ask if our buyers still want the books at the lower grade and lower price, since obviously a lot of people don't only care about getting a good value, but want to get top grade.

Additionally, we have separated the duties of data entry and scanning, and the person scanning is now able to catch a bit more up front. (And the quality of the scanning has gone way up - no more cut off edges!)

Joe

joe@kermitspad.net

While you guys are bound to take a beating from people who were upset with grades, I think it is commendable for you to try to do the right thing when you've messed up.

One question I have regarding the mis-grades -- was your grader grading the books without taking them out of their bags? Because if he was, this is going to exacerbate grading problems. It takes longer to pull the book out of the bag and the temptation when going through a zillion books is to eyeball it in the bag and pick a quick grade, but you are almost certainly doomed to failure if you grade that way. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen a book in a bag where I thought the book was a NM or better copy, only to pull out the book and see flaws that drag the book down to VF or (sometimes) much lower.

Thanks for all the support guys.

Even Kermit now admits that he wasn't spending enough time looking at them when he was doing database entry. I think we had about 18 longboxes from the Rabbi alone that he was trying to get listed as quickly as possible, and his attention to detail slipped.

We've been catching minor imperfections on our pre-shipment inspections, and regrading and refunding when appropriate. We also ask if our buyers still want the books at the lower grade and lower price, since obviously a lot of people don't only care about getting a good value, but want to get top grade.

Additionally, we have separated the duties of data entry and scanning, and the person scanning is now able to catch a bit more up front. (And the quality of the scanning has gone way up - no more cut off edges!)

Joe

joe@kermitspad.net

One question I have regarding the mis-grades -- was your grader grading the books without taking them out of their bags?

Not only is he taking them out of the bags, Kermit is actually doing all that data entry you can see on the web site as he looks at each book!!! I was amazed as he sat there doing that while I was digging through his boxes. It's an EXTREMELY ambitious thing to do to enter artists, writers, story title, character appearances, key story elements, and all the other stuff he's entering. I've never seen an Internet dealer enter so much data on their books!!! 893whatthe.gifhail.gif

Hey Kermit,

Alot of the regulars are going to give you grief and my best advice is to take the critism with a smile and realize what needs to be tweaked. In your defense, some of those books looked stellar! Your honesty and williness to continue to learn about your collection is also commendable. You had a bumpy start but with this community's help, I'm sure you will be set on the right path within a year.

Personaly I don't mind recieving email about comic books for sale as long as they are on my want list. Metropolis Comics does a fantastic job with this. You can learn from them. When I get more time on my hands I'll be sure to dig deeper into your website.

p.s. Have you considered sending some of the nicer books to cgc? It would help you alot with questionable grades. thumbsup2.gif

hey FF what grade would you give the FF112???

The same grade I told Kermit and Joe it was when he told me he was thinking about submitting it to CGC--9.0 or 9.2. I lean towards 9.0 due to the spine stresses and the extremely light crease on the top edge above the letters "ine" in the "World's Greatest Magazine" header (all those defects are visible in the scan).

I've got another 8.5/9.0 copy, so I'll eventually compare the two and keep whichever one is better. I think this one's better, which is why I bought it.

This is allwaysilverage under a new name?

allwayssilverage = Kermit.

I just looked and his name and the address of his web site is in his auctions, so I wouldn't describe it as being under a new name.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll make sure that Kermit gets a link to this.

I'm a little more thick-skinned and actually thrive on the criticism. (I'm sure you can imagine what I went through as the Chief Technology Officer for the 3rd-largest and publicly traded e-commerce company in the world.)

He and I bust our butts about 12 hours a day entering data, scanning books, sending out orders, etc... Things are getting better now that we have three other people helping out though.

I'm also really excited about finding this great group of people in this forum. I definitely think we'll be able to keep improving with all the great feedback. Maybe someday we'll even make DiceX a happy customer smile.gif

Joe

Kermit is the man behind eBay allwaysilverage and is a partner at KermitsPad.net, but the two businesses are independent of each other.

Kermit makes his own decisions on which books he offers to sell to us at KermitsPad.net and which ones he decides to place up on eBay.

Joe