• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lev Gleason Title List

60 posts in this topic

In the past year or so, I've made the decision to almost exclusively focus my collecting on Lev Gleasons. My reasons for this are various- ranging from the fact that very little of their output has been reprinted to my great respect for the quality and quantity of the writing that Charles Biro produced over the years. I'm not quite yet on a "Levin-esque" quest to form a complete collection (and honestly many of the earlier major issues are well out of my price range at this point), but I am committed enough to want to make sure I've got my head around the sum of their output. Thus far, this is the list of Lev Gleason titles that I know of:

Adventures in Wonderland

(Amazing Adventures of) Buster Crabbe

Black Diamond Western

Boy Comics

Boy Meets/Loves Girl

Candy (Wise ; Lev Gleason?)

Captain Battle Comics (New Friday/Comic House)

Captain Battle Comics 2nd series (Magazine Press/Picture Scoop)

Captain Battle Junior (Comic House)

Complete Book of True Crime Comics (William H. Wise, re-bound CDNP)

Crime and Punishment

Crime Does Not Pay

Cutie Pie

Daredevil Comics

Desperado

Dilly

Giant Boy Book of Comics (1 shot ; Newsbook)

Jim Dandy (Dandy Magazines ; Biro 1956 ; Lev Gleason?)

Lover’s Lane

Poppo of the Popcorn Theatre (Biro 55/56 Lev Gleason?)

Rusty Boy Detective

Silver Streak (Your Guide/New Friday/Comic House/Newsbook)

Shorty Shiner (Biro 1956 Lev Gleason?)

Slugger (1 shot)

Spooky Mysteries (1946 Your Guide Publications)

Squeeks

Tops (Adult Magazine 1949 ; 2 issues)

Tops Comics (#2000, 1944 ; 132 pages ; Lev Gleason?)

Tops Comics (1944 Consolidated/Lev Gleason ; three issues #2001, #2002, #2003 ; small size)

Tops in Humor (1944 Consolidated/Lev Gleason? ; two issues ; interior of #2 states Wise/Chesler)

Uncle Charlie’s Fables

Promotional Comics

Foxhole on Your Lawn (Biro Promotional Lev Gleason?)

Ringmaster’s Guide (Lev Gleason? 1956)

What I want to know, is am I missing anything? One reason I ask is that I just recently learned that the five issue "Squeeks" run even existed (Squeeks was Crimebusters little monkey side-kick... who knew he had his own short-lived spin-off? And who might care aside from me! grin.gif) Any help would be appreciated. Also, any other Lev Gleason fans out there? I've definitely noticed some CDNP and CAP scans showing up on the Cool GA Crime thread. Anyone collect the other titles?

There are a few more that I am aware of:

Amazing Adventures of Buster Crabbe- This ran only a few issues but #4 has a nice Sc-fi cover.

Jim Dandy-only ran 3 or 4 issues

Little Wise Guys starring Slugger- I think this was a one-shot

I know there are some more titles but the ones above I am sure of.

metarog: Thanks for the reply! I had the Amazing Adventures of Buster Crabbe run on the list, but I was unaware of Jim Dandy and the Slugger one-shot. I'm editing and adding those to the original listing. I also tentatively added "Poppo of the Popcorn Theatre"- according to OS these were published by Fuller Publishing Company. Anyone know if this was a subsidiary of LG? Or was it a separate company that Biro worked for as LG was folding in 1955/1956?

I've got to check my eyes... I guess I was looking for Buster Crabbe and not Amazing Adventures of.

Don't know about Poppo-could be Biro struck out on his own when he saw the end of LG was near.

I did think of one more title...Horse Feathers!

Good luck on your quest - I'm guessing you will be able to find lower grade copies of the later issues of CDNP and Daredevil for 2-3 bucks each. If you ever find any of the CDNP annuals let us know - the only one I've ever seen for sale is the window ledge issue (Best of CDNP 1953 edition I think). There is also a rebound "annual" containing early issues of CDNP published by William H. Wise called "Complete Book of True Crime Comics". I think Willian H. Wise & Co. existed purely as a way for publishers to circumvent wartime paper allotments, so I would count this as a Lev Gleason book. My guess is that this book is the reason people thought there were Best of CDNP issues dating back to 1944 - I wouldn't be surprised if the only issue that actually exists is the 1953 issue.

I have a few Gleasons in my collection - classic cover issues CDNP and Daredevil 11 & 27.

Here is info for a Lev Gleason Promotional Comic:

Title: Ringmaster's Guide (1956) 0

Publisher: Lev Gleason

Comment: Ringmaster's Guide was distributed in 1956 by Norge Appliances and published by Lev Gleason. This was produced by Charles Biro, the creator of Crime Does Not Pay, Airboy, the original Daredevil, and many other classic Golden Age comic books. Standard dimension comic, full color, 20-pages, slick cover with newsprint interior, no cover price. The story: A group of children put on their own circus. The children choose a yard in which to have the circus, practice their tricks and acts, and build the stages, games, and props. This comic book story reads like a story from the Little Wise Guys, another vintage comic created by the Biro studio. There is also an offer from Norge Appliance: A complete cardboard life size circus set given free with the purchase of a Norge appliance.

Cool, and thanks.

I've got to create another section of my list for promotional books. I came across another in OS called "Foxhole on Your Lawn", an undated promotional comic with Biro art. Not necessarily Lev Gleason, but I might keep my eyes open for a copy to see what the deal is.

Where did you find that info on "Ringmaster's Guide"? I don't see it in Overstreet.

Listing of Lev Gleason Titles

Alternate corporate names: Boy Comics Publisher's Inc.; DareDevil Publisher's Inc; Junior Readers Guild; News Book Publishing Corp.; Tops Magazine

Alternate corporate names: Comic House; Magazine House Inc.; Picture Scoop Inc.

Precursor companies: Fun, Inc.; New Friday Publications; Your Guide Publications

Adventures into Wonderland (1955-1956)

The Amazing Adventures of Buster Crabbe the All-American Hero (1953-1954)

Black Diamond Western (1949-1955, previously Desperado)

Boy Comics (1942-1956, previously Captain Battle)

Boy Meets Girl Comics (1952-1956, previously Boy Loves Girl 1952-1956)

Candy (through William H. Wise, 1944-45)

Cutie Pie (1955-1956)

Captain Battle Comics (1941-1943)

Captain Battle Jr. Comics (1943-1944)

Crime and Punishment (1948-1955)

Crime Does Not Pay (1942-1955, previously Silver Streak)

Daredevil Comics (1941-1956)

Desperado Comics (1948-1949)

Dilly (1953)

Horse Feathers (1945)

Lover's Lane (1949-1954)

Shorty Shiner (1956)

Silver Streak Comics (1939-1942)

Slugger (1956)

Spooky Mysteries (interior by "Jason Comic Art" studio, 1946)

Squeaks (1953-1954)

Tops Comics (1949, military distribution only?)

Tops In Humor (through Consolidated Books, 1944-1945)

Uncle Charlie's Fables (1951-1952)

Cool, and thanks.

I've got to create another section of my list for promotional books. I came across another in OS called "Foxhole on Your Lawn", an undated promotional comic with Biro art. Not necessarily Lev Gleason, but I might keep my eyes open for a copy to see what the deal is.

Where did you find that info on "Ringmaster's Guide"? I don't see it in Overstreet.

I used the database on mycomicbookshop.com gossip.gif

go to www.mycomicbookshop.com

in the search field type something like Archie

when the search is complete, in your browser on the left there will be more advanced search options. Leave the search area blank this time and go to where it says ALL PUBLISHERS and use the drop down window to select Lev Gleason and then hit the search button.

Click on Ringmaster's Guide and then click on text.

acclaim.gif

Darren: Thanks for the additional info. Got a couple more titles to add!

The 1944 "Tops" and "Tops in Humor" issues are confusing. Here's what it says in Overstreet:

Tops #2000 : 1944, 132 pages, Consolidated Publishing, (regular size?)

Tops #2001,2002, #2003 : 1944, 32 pages, Consolidated Publishing (Lev Gleason), small size (7 1/4" x 5")

Tops in Humor #2001 (#1) :1944, 32 pages, Consolidated Publishing (Lev Gleason), small size (7 1/4" x 5")

Tops in Humor #2 :1944, 32 pages, Consolidated Publishing (Lev Gleason), small size (7 1/4" x 5")

Okay, that's what is in Overstreet. The only issue of any of these I've seen is Tops in Humor #2 of which I have a copy. This was defintiely a "serviceman's" publication. Pretty much all the strips and advertisements are military themed. It even says "for the serviceman" on the cover. There is an advertisement in it for "Yankee Comics" which is also interesting, because frankly I'm not sure how much involvement, if any, Lev Gleason actually had in this book. It was published by William H Wise and the credit for the editing and art is given to the Harry A Chesler Jr Features Syndicate. It is definitley a mid 1940's Chesler product and has very little to do with what Gleason was producing at the time. Now I know that Biro had worked for Chesler before he came to work for Gleason, so there's some tentative connection there. The exact connection between Gleason, Consolidated, and Wise I've yet to really figure out. I would love to see the other issues. I think maybe these have been mis-identified in OS as Gleason when they are actually Chesler (via Consolidated). If anyone has any of these, please post!

Also- I don't think that the 1949 Tops magazines were produced for military distribution. I think maybe this was a mix-up by the author with the other "Tops" titles.

Scan:

topsinhumor_02.jpg

bumpit.gif

dmgsr,

You should post your current compiled listing including issue ranges (it would be nice to know the total count of books if someone tried to collect all the titles)

Also, if anyone out there has the electronic version of Overstreet, is it possible to do a search on publisher? If not, you might want to get an old Overstreet guide like #6 and spend each day going through a few pages looking at all the listings for Lev Gleason.

Darren

Thought I'd update this list with a little more info:

Adventures in Wonderland 1-5 (5 iss.)

Black Diamond Western 9-60 (52 iss.)

Boy Comics 3-119 (117 iss.)

Boy Loves Girl 26-57 (32 iss.)

Boy Meets Girl 1-25 (25 iss., becomes Boy Loves Girl)

(Amazing Adventures of) Buster Crabbe 1-4 (4 iss.)

Candy (Wise ; Lev Gleason?) 1-3 (3 iss.)

Captain Battle Comics (New Friday/Comic House) 1,2 (2 iss., becomes Boy Comics)

Captain Battle Comics 2nd series (Magazine Press/Picture Scoop) 3, 5 (no #4?)(2 iss.)

Captain Battle Junior (Comic House) 1,2 (2 iss.)

Complete Book of True Crime Comics (William H. Wise, re-bound CDNP) 1 shot (1 iss.)

Crime and Punishment 1-74 (74 iss.)

Crime Does Not Pay 22-147 (126 iss.)

Crime Does Not Pay (Best of) 1944-1953 (annual?) (10 iss.?/variants?)

Crime Does Not Pay (Golfing-1945) (?) 1 shot (1 iss., not sure what this is?!)

Cutie Pie 1-5 (5 iss.)

Daredevil Comics 1-134 (134 iss.)

Desperado 1-8 (8 iss., becomes Black Diamond Western)

Dilly 1-3 (3 iss.)

Dime Comics 1(1945), 1(1951) (Newsbook) (2 iss.)

Giant Boy Book of Comics (Newsbook) 1 shot (1 iss.)

Jim Dandy (Dandy Magazines ; Biro 1956 ; Lev Gleason?) 1-3 (3 iss.)

Lover’s Lane 1-41 (41 iss.)

Poppo of the Popcorn Theatre (Biro self-produced for Fuller Publishing ‘55/’56) 1-13 (13 iss.) (Promotional and non-promotional copies exist?)

Rusty Boy Detective 1-5 (5 iss.)

Shorty Shiner (Biro 1956, self-published?) 1-3 (3 iss.)

Silver Streak (Your Guide/New Friday/Comic House/Newsbook) 1-21,23,nn (1946) (23 iss., becomes Crime Does Not Pay)

Slugger 1 shot (1 iss.)

Spooky Mysteries (1946 Your Guide Publications) 1 shot (1 iss.)

Squeeks 1-5 (5 iss.)

Tops (Adult Magazine 1949) 1,2 (2 iss.)

Tops Comics (1944 ; 132 pages ; Lev Gleason?) #2000 (1 iss.)

Tops Comics (1944 Consolidated/Lev Gleason ;small size) #2001, #2002, #2003 (3 iss.)

Tops in Humor (1944 Consolidated/Lev Gleason?/Chesler? ; interior of #2 states Wise/Chesler) 1,2 (2 iss.)

Uncle Charlie’s Fables 1-5 (5 iss.)

Promotional Comics:

Foxhole on Your Lawn (Biro Promotional Lev Gleason?) 1 shot (1 iss.)

Ringmaster’s Guide (Lev Gleason? 1956) 1 shot (1 iss.)

Total: 720 issues (assuming my math is right...)

I believe that's it so far. If I've missed anything, please point it out. I've included some stuff here that is not technically Lev Gleason, but was either self-produced by Charles Biro (Poppo, Shorty Shiner?) or has been identified as being Lev Gleason in OS (Tops in Humor). I'll update this as I get more info together on these. I'm also making sense of some of the various corporate pseudonyms for what became Lev Gleason... more on that later.