• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2 Questions - All Golden DC/National

19 posts in this topic

Hi gang,

I've got 3 Golden Age questions and I was hoping for some help ...

1. Can someone either post or point me to a list of DC Golden Age heroes in order of appearance (at least from Superman to 1942)...

Something like...

Superman in Action Comics

Batman in Detective Comics

Green Lantern in All-Star Comics

Atom in All-Star Comics

Sandman in NY World Fair/Adventure Comics

Hourman in Adventure Comics

Spectre in More Fun Comics

Wonder Woman in All-Star Comics

(I know that's not an accurate list.) I'm sure there's a list somewhere, but I don't know where... maybe in this thread for the first time?

2. I'd like to read the Hourman stories, but DC's only got them reprinted in DC Archives Golden Age JSA All Stars, which costs a bundle (cheapest I can find is about $160 on Amazon)... of course, that's less than buying the originals!... does anyone know why these reprints are so much, and if they're in demand why DC just doesn't do a second printing...

Thanks to one and all... good night!

The reprints aren't popular, unfortunately..... but if you hit larger shows random copies can often be found with vendors who are blowing out trades.... and very reasonably too. I had a similar quandary with S&K Sandman and a few years ago an archive was FINALLY released :cloud9: ..... if you're patient and don't mind making a lowball offer, the Adventure Comics that are non-key can sometimes be snagged at reasonable prices..... I'm particularly fond of the #73-80 issues, Burnley Starman, Bailey Hourman, and Sandman and Manhunter both by S&K...... an incredible line up...and with the exception of 73 and 79, they can sometimes be acquired at auction for as little as half guide ..... although I remember the days when folks would almost get into fist fights over them at Cons...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Hi gang,

1. Can someone either post or point me to a list of DC Golden Age heroes in order of appearance (at least from Superman to 1942)...

Flash\Hawkman 10 November 1939

FlashComicsHouseAdfromAdv45.jpg

The reprints aren't popular, unfortunately..... but if you hit larger shows random copies can often be found with vendors who are blowing out trades.... and very reasonably too. I had a similar quandary with S&K Sandman and a few years ago an archive was FINALLY released :cloud9: ..... if you're patient and don't mind making a lowball offer, the Adventure Comics that are non-key can sometimes be snagged at reasonable prices..... I'm particularly fond of the #73-80 issues, Burnley Starman, Bailey Hourman, and Sandman and Manhunter both by S&K...... an incredible line up...and with the exception of 73 and 79, they can sometimes be acquired at auction for as little as half guide ..... although I remember the days when folks would almost get into fist fights over them at Cons...... GOD BLESS...

There was an almost complete run of the GA Adventure hero books at Terry's show last week. They were terribly over graded and over priced though. Too bad.

There was an almost complete run of the GA Adventure hero books at Terry's show last week. They were terribly over graded and over priced though. Too bad.

...they were probably still there at show's end..... really neat comics, but their popularity has waned since the 90's. The 73-80 mini run has always been absent on many dealer's lists. A boardie had a 75 for sale a while back..... a slabbed 5.0 or so with white pages for $350 (I think....) and it didn't sell ...... that is a really neat book, worth every penny he asked. GOD BLESS...

This may be more detailed than you're looking for, but the website "Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics" has an incredible index. For instance, check out this link. I've filtered on DC Comics for June 1938. You can then step forward month by month. In addition, the site also has newsstand dates.

As for the DC Archives, DC has either cancelled or moth-balled the line. They released 3 volumes in 2013 and only 1 in 2014, so new printings of OOP books are unlikely. Many of the more popular volumes went through multiple printings but I don't think JSA All-Stars, which was released in 2007, had a second printing.

If you just want to read the JSA All-Stars Archive, I will lend you my copy. The book doesn't reprint all the Hourman stories, just the first 5 from Adventure #48-52, but that's a good start. PM me if you're interested in borrowing.

Todd

...they were probably still there at show's end..... really neat comics, but their popularity has waned since the 90's. The 73-80 mini run has always been absent on many dealer's lists. A boardie had a 75 for sale a while back..... a slabbed 5.0 or so with white pages for $350 (I think....) and it didn't sell ...... that is a really neat book, worth every penny he asked. GOD BLESS...

Yeah, I'd have bought if for that if I'd seen it.

Hi gang,

If no one has an available list and you know the heroes you are interested in then Wikipedia will be your friend.

Can someone either post or point me to a list of DC Golden Age heroes in order of appearance (at least from Superman to 1942)...

Something like...

Atom in All-Star Comics

(I know that's not an accurate list.) I'm sure there's a list somewhere, but I don't know where... maybe in this thread for the first time?

If you want a list of all appearances in order of publication: Try Mike's Amazing World of Comics - DC Chronology

If you just want the debuts of each hero in order see below.

Cover dates are shown here, but all appearances are in order of publication date.

You didn't specify "Super"-hero so I've included non-powered adventurers that are part of the DCU.

I've also included the Quality heroes which DC later acquired.

Doctor Occult : New Fun #6 October, 1935

Clock : Funny Picture Stories #1 (Centaur) November, 1936 (Not DC - First Masked Comic Hero)

Slam Bradley : Detective Comics #1 March, 1937

Superman : Action Comics #1 June, 1938

Zatara : Action Comics #1 June, 1938

Tex Thomson : Action Comics #1 June, 1938

Crimson Avenger : Detective Comics #20 October, 1938

Hop Harrigan : All-American Comics #1 April, 1939

Batman : Detective Comics #27 May, 1939

Sandman : New York World's Fair Comics (#1) (June), 1939

Invisible Hood : Smash Comics #1 (Quality) August, 1939

Doll Man : Feature Comics #27 (Quality) December, 1939

Flash : Flash Comics #1 January, 1940

Hawkman : Flash Comics #1 January, 1940

Johnny Thunder : Flash Comics #1 January, 1940

Whip : Flash Comics #1 January, 1940

Spectre : More Fun Comics #52 February, 1940

King : Flash Comics #3 March, 1940

Hourman : Adventure Comics #48 March, 1940

Black Pirate : Action Comics #23 April, 1940

Robin : Detective Comics #38 April, 1940

The Spider : Crack Comics #1 (Quality) May, 1940

Red Torpedo : Crack Comics #1 (Quality) May, 1940

Black Condor : Crack Comics #1 (Quality) May, 1940

Doctor Fate : More Fun Comics #55 May, 1940

Red Bee : Hit Comics #1 (Quality) July, 1940

Neon the Unknown : Hit Comics #1 (Quality) July, 1940

Uncle Sam : National Comics #1 (Quality) July, 1940

Congo Bill : More Fun Comics #56 June, 1940 (Released after the July, 1940 Quality titles)

Green Lantern : All-American Comics #16 July, 1940

Magno : Smash Comics #13 (Quality) August, 1940

Ray : Smash Comics #14 (Quality) September, 1940

Atom : All-American Comics #19 October, 1940

Quicksilver : National Comics #5 (Quality) November, 1940

Midnight : Smash Comics #18 (Quality) January, 1941

JSA : All-Star Comics #3 Winter, 1940

Doctor Mid-Nite : All-American Comics #25 April, 1941

Starman : Adventure Comics #61 April, 1941

Sargon : All-American Comics #26 May, 1941

Jester : Smash Comics #22 (Quality) May, 1941

Blackhawk : Military Comics #1 (Quality) August, 1941

Miss America : Military Comics #1 (Quality) August, 1941

Firebrand : Police Comics #1 (Quality) August, 1941

Plastic Man : Police Comics #1 (Quality) August, 1941

Phantom Lady : Police Comics #1 (Quality) August, 1941

Human Bomb : Police Comics #1 (Quality) August, 1941

Johnny Quick : More Fun Comics #71 September, 1941

Shining Knight : Adventure Comics #66 September, 1941

Star-Spangled Kid : Star Spangled Comics #1 October, 1941

Tarantula : Star Spangled Comics #1 October, 1941

Vigilante : Action Comics #42 November, 1941

Green Arrow : More Fun Comics #73 November, 1941

Aquaman : More Fun Comics #73 November, 1941

Wonder Woman : All-Star Comics #8 December, 1941

Sandy the Golden Boy : Adventure Comics #69 December, 1941

Mr. Terrific : Sensation Comics #1 January, 1942

Gay Ghost : Sensation Comics #1 January, 1942

Little Boy Blue : Sensation Comics #1 January, 1942

Wildcat : Sensation Comics #1 January, 1942

Seven Soldiers of Victory : Leading Comics #1 Winter, 1941

Air Wave : Detective Comics #60 February, 1942

Manhunter (Dan Richards) : Police Comics #8 (Quality) March, 1942

Guardian : Star Spangled Comics #7 April, 1942

Robotman : Star Spangled Comics #7 April, 1942

TNT and Dyna-Mite : Star Spangled Comics #7 April, 1942

Manhunter (Paul Kirk) : Adventure Comics #73 April, 1942

Ghost Patrol : Flash Comics #29 May, 1942

Boy Commandos : Detective Comics #64 June, 1942

Liberty Belle : Boy Commandos #1 Winter, 1942

I realized about ten years ago that Action comics were getting way too pricey so I started looking at Adventures and realized there were some sweet books for a much more reasonable price. Another title that is currently like this is All Star with fun stories but not much of a following.

This may be more detailed than you're looking for, but the website "Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics" has an incredible index. For instance, check out this link. I've filtered on DC Comics for June 1938. You can then step forward month by month. In addition, the site also has newsstand dates.

As for the DC Archives, DC has either cancelled or moth-balled the line. They released 3 volumes in 2013 and only 1 in 2014, so new printings of OOP books are unlikely. Many of the more popular volumes went through multiple printings but I don't think JSA All-Stars, which was released in 2007, had a second printing.

If you just want to read the JSA All-Stars Archive, I will lend you my copy. The book doesn't reprint all the Hourman stories, just the first 5 from Adventure #48-52, but that's a good start. PM me if you're interested in borrowing.

Todd

Thank you, Todd, for reminding me why I love these boards... that's a mighty generous offer, and I'll PM you here real soon to work out the details of your kind lending-me-a-book offer...

Thanks to all those who helped with a list...

Here's what I've come up with for DC heroes from 1938-1942.

Any edits or corrections are greatly appreciated - and any typos I blame on spellcheck, which "corrected" Hourman with Hormone...

Superman in Action Comics (1) 6/38

(Crimson Avenger in Detective Comics (22)) 12/38

Batman in Detective Comics (27) 5/39

Sandman in NY World’s Fair (1) 5/39 + Adventure Comics (40) 7/39

Flash in Flash Comics (1) 1/40

Hawkman in Flash Comics (1) 1/40

Spectre in More Fun Comics (52) 2/40

Hour-Man in Adventure Comics (48) 3/40

Doctor Fate in More Fun Comics (55) 5/40

Green Lantern in All-American Comics (16) 7/40

Atom in All-American Comics (19) 10/40

JSA in All-Star Comics (3) Wint/40-41

Starman in Adventure Comics (61) 4/41

Wonder Woman in All-Star Comics (8) 11-12/41

Great list. Arguably, I think Mystery Men #1 Blue Beetle belongs on there.

Clock : Funny Picture Stories #1 (Centaur) November, 1936 (Not DC - First Masked Comic Hero)

Since you note, this, I wonder if you have an opinion on Funny Picture Stories 1 vs Funny Pages 6 for the first published Clock. I agree with you, though I think most disagree.

Great list. Arguably, I think Mystery Men #1 Blue Beetle belongs on there.

Since you note, this, I wonder if you have an opinion on Funny Picture Stories 1 vs Funny Pages 6 for the first published Clock. I agree with you, though I think most disagree.

I could have included Blue Beetle and/or the Fawcett characters on the list, but I didn't feel like putting in the extra work.

As for the Clock: I definitely go with Funny Picture Stories #1 as the first appearance.

Here's why: Both FPS1 and Funny Pages #6 are cover dated November 1936.

According to the Library of Congress records, FPS1 was copyrighted on 9/18/36.

Unfortunately there isn't a record for Funny Pages #6.

However, there is a record for #5, showing that it was copyrighted on 8/17/36. It was cover dated September. Therefore 2 cover months passed between issues 5 and 6. If we also assume that two calendar months passed during this time, that would put #6 on sale in October 1936.

So I place FPS 1 (9/18/36) before FP6 (10/??/36), making the Clock's 1st appearance Funny Picture Stories #1.

As for the Clock: I definitely go with Funny Picture Stories #1 as the first appearance.

Here's why: Both FPS1 and Funny Pages #6 are cover dated November 1936.

According to the Library of Congress records, FPS1 was copyrighted on 9/18/36.

Unfortunately there isn't a record for Funny Pages #6.

However, there is a record for #5, showing that it was copyrighted on 8/17/36. It was cover dated September. Therefore 2 cover months passed between issues 5 and 6. If we also assume that two calendar months passed during this time, that would put #6 on sale in October 1936.

So I place FPS 1 (9/18/36) before FP6 (10/??/36), making the Clock's 1st appearance Funny Picture Stories #1.

Yep. With you on all of that. (thumbs u

In general support of the above, there's also this pic. Look close and you will see FPS 2 on the stands with FP 6.

152708.jpg.63076a058fb49f34dda39cdf292f04bd.jpg

I agree with you, though I think most disagree.

Here's some evidence of another notable first appearance that most people are wrong about. I've been trying to get this one recognized for 20 years. But just try hitting people over the head with facts. It doesn't work. Instead too many people want to cling to beliefs based on misinformation passed along over and over. At least the Library of Congress agrees with me.

superman4.JPG

act23.JPG

Can someone either post or point me to a list of DC Golden Age heroes in order of appearance (at least from Superman to 1942)...

Something like...

Atom in All-Star Comics

If you want a list of all appearances in order of publication: Try Mike's Amazing World of Comics - DC Chronology

Cover dates are shown here, but all appearances are in order of publication date.

You didn't specify "Super"-hero so I've included non-powered adventurers that are part of the DCU.

Congo Bill : More Fun Comics #56 June, 1940 (Released after the July, 1940 Quality titles)

Great post! (thumbs u

Something like...

Atom in All-Star Comics

Great post! (thumbs u

I agree. Thank you! Somehow I missed this when I posted last night... great list!