• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do Your Kids Collect Comic Books?

32 posts in this topic

Despite my best efforts, (Yes and ) NO.

I have been able to get some kids to read older comics (60's/70's) at a very young age, but later on they have absolutely no interest in picking them up. Every generation has their own 'thing" and comics are not it - especially with current ons being so adult oriented.

Also a yes and no, for my 12 year old son. No, he does not collect, buy or read new comics, excepting the occasional Simpsons comic. Yes, he does collect Silver Age comics (no wondering where he got that interest from...). I started him off young by reading (and showing him the pictures) from Lee, Kirby, and Ditko FFs and Spideys. When a little older, I gave him some of my beat-but-complete Silver for him to read on his own. He showed a particular fondness for Lee/Kirby Thors. Now, he has lists of his collection, bags and boards his acquisitions, and goes with me to local comic shows and the LCS to buy books. At WizardWorld Philly, he still spends more of his time playing the latest video games and checking out the Mage Knights than he does searching out comics, but he always leaves with at least a few Silver Age goodies. I even taught him to haggle with the dealers, and after handing them the books he's picked out, asking them about their best price. wink.gif

Fatherhood is cool. thumbsup2.gif

My three year old has shown a slight interest in comics already (walked in the other day and saw him thumbing through one of the longboxes, it was pretty cute). Hopefully that will increase since the only thing he's interested in are superheroes. Toys, cartoons, video games all have to be superheroic. I think he's finally growing out of the Spider-Man-only phase because he's shown a lot of interest in the new JLU figures since they've branched out from the main 7. He wants to know who all the "new" guys are. He would actually rather go to the comic shop with me than to the toy store. Of course, he still wants to get a toy at the comic shop but he loves wandering around and looking at all the cool and colorful stuff they have there.

I don't have any kids yet, but my little cousin is into comics. Especially Spider-Man granted it did not hurt to have me handing him the comics and toys. grin.gif

Ah yes. Priming the pump. I've done the same thing with my nephews. I gave them some Shrek comics. laugh.gif

My 20 month old son is obviously too young to appreciate or collect the medium, although if you leave comics lying around he will pick them up and proceed to mutilate them. Gotta teach him a respect for paper.

My nephew on the other hand, who's three, can name quite a few JLA members.

My oldest son is now 23 and still loves to read comics. He likes Spider-Man and the ultimate line. Last year for my birthday he swapped comics with me. He gave me his Amazing Spider-Man #97 cgc 9.4 with white pages (that he bought raw when he was 12 for $50) for my #238 9.6. I had to buy a 238 from a fellow forum member to replace it. My other kids read many comics when they were young but never bought any.

My son's 18 months old. He can already tell you what Hulk says ("Grrrrrrr") and what the Red Skull says (ka-ka-ka-ka). He can also point out several of the busts I have -- Hulk, Red Skull (of course), the western Ghost Rider, Galactus, Loki, and Fin Fang Foom.

I have a long box of beater Bronze Age books that I let him look thru. They are his whenever he get old enough to enjoy them. In fact just yesterday I gave him an old Hulk. He spent the nex hour showing to everyone at my house... "Grrrrr!"

699452-mig.jpg

699452-mig.jpg.aed4c5ad31e4cca77a61dfe026cc5842.jpg

I have two boys (5 and 7) and they both collect comics. I have regaled you with many tales of my 5 year old as he is an absolute fanatic. He goes through at least one superhero costume every two months. We have a massive library of movies and cartoons and they have their own comic collections. Most of what they read is SA DC (my perogative).

I have endless conversations with the 5 year old who would ask me at least 20 questions a day about who would beat who etc etc etc.

The 5 year old started out as a spider-man fan but now favours The Bat-man (once again my perogative).