• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do Your Kids Collect Comic Books?

32 posts in this topic

I don't have any kids of my own, but non of my nephews or cousin's kids seem to collect comic books. Even the ones that like reading are generally into Harry Potter books and similar items. Don't get me wrong, they loved the Spider-Man and X-Men movies, but still didn't want to read the books I offered them. When I was a kid it seemed like everyone (including myself, my brother, cousins, friends at school, etc.) was collecting and talking about comic books.

Do you guys see the same trend with your kids or other family member's kids? I'm just worried that the majority of collectors out there seem to be adults in their mid 30's versus young kids in their teens. The Hollywood movies do help, but I'm not quite sure how much.

I have no kids yet. No one else in my family (cousins, siblings, nobody) collected comics, except for my dad who only collected for a short time in the late 60's. When I was in middle/high school, I was the only person I knew of who bought/collected/read comics. I grew up in a city of 300,000+ people. And the only other people besides myself who I saw collecting comics were the same people I saw every week or two at the LCS I went to. I don't think it's as widely popular as most people think. Even in college, both as an undergrad and graduate student, I've never met another student who collected comics, aside from the occasional reader I see in the LCS on Wednesdays.

I have a deal with my 7 year old daughter. If she reads me a part of a "real" book before bed, I will then read her a Marvel Age Spidey, FF, or MTU, any Archie or Harvey title, Justice League Unlimited, Batman Adventures, or Teen Titans Go. She really loves the comics. I also read her comics during a day if she asks.

She also collects superhero dolls/toys. Some to play with(guys and gals) and some to keep MIB (gals only) to put in daddys giant collectible showcase.

It is sooooo great reading and collecting with her. The reason I think she likes it, is that I never "forced" it on her. I think she enjoys it because it is something we do together. Yes, I am a very lucky man yay.gif

I'm in the same situation as Steve. My 7 year old daughter loves comics. Humor and superhero alike. We read a "real" book together and then we take turns reading Archies, Harveys, and some Golden Age Supermans and Batman stories as well (thank god for those beat up DC 100 pagers). But she loves them all.

My 2 girls read Archie comics from 9-12 years old...but both quit upon reaching the magic number of 13. Probably because of boys and the supposed uncool factor.

Silly girls....don't they know that the uncool teenagers of today will likely be the RICH uncool adults of tomorrow. makepoint.gif

I don't have any kids of my own(that I know of!), but I'm trying to get my four year old godson interested in comics. I gave him Volume One of the SPIDER-MAN Marvel Masterworks, and volume one of DARK KNIGHTS ARCHIVES(reprinting BATMAN #1-4) for Christmas. I know he's too young to read, but he already loves these characters, and he'll enjoy looking at the pictures. In a couple of years he'll want to read 'em(hopefully), and this will encourage him to learn.

My girls are 7, and have expressed a mild interest in comics (mainly, why on earth would Papa travel 3 hours to a show and not come home with anything.... a sentiment echoed by their Mama).

I have a growing pile of comics that I'd consider letting them read, but I need to go through them, and then let the Mrs. go through them, and then retrieve them from the trash and try again at a later date.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Oooh yes baby....

qspider.jpg

Qmickey.jpg

Technically at three, he can't read yet, but he loves looking at the pictures and has me read the stories to him, of course when he doesn't like where the story is going he makes me change things around...

I'm just hoping he sticks with it when he has to read them himself, but if his uncle Chrisco keeps sending him Disney books things might turn out alright thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif Same here. I try to get them to the LCS a couple of times a month as the older ones follow a few titles. When i get home from work my 4 kids want to play superheros, so I end up being the Hulk, my son is Batman, and my 2 older daughters are usually Catwoman and Starfire and they all try to bring me down. Fun stuff. Even funnier is that my 3 (almost 4) year old daughter usually initiates it! We also regularly sit around the kitchen table sketching comic book characters, with TT being their favourites.