• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars Hot Topic - A Public Service Announcement

85 posts in this topic

Personally if I had bought one I would pay with no questions asked.
Same, auction ends... I pay

BIN... I pay

Learn I over payed, crud. Ah well.

lol I've overpaid for almost everything I have in my collection. Buyers remorse? NO FREAKING WAY. I love my slabs and books.

Money comes, money goes. I pay my bills

If I could get a refund for every comic that wasn't worth what I paid for it I could buy some major grails! That's kind of sad actually......

I have no issue with paying for what you committed to, but to continue to try and push the book is another issue.

Exactly. A deal is a deal, and if you agreed to purchase this book before this news broke, then too bad for you. If it kept going up in value, you wouldn't be running back to the seller to offer them more money, right...? That's the whole point of "speculation" - you win some, you lose some - but hopefully you keep your integrity, and your word.

At the same time, the news is out now...and this board is supposed to function at a higher level than the normal eBay trolls. As such, boardies should be looking out for each other - not trying to bend each other over for a buck.

(thumbs u

If I could get a refund for every comic that wasn't worth what I paid for it I could buy some major grails! That's kind of sad actually......

Yup. But meh you only live once :grin:

I only buy what I like. Has anyone read this Star Wars comic? Is it any good?

I'm all for "A deal's a deal," believe me.

I don't know... I can say this with absolute certainty.... there is no absolute certainty on this one. It's a lot of gray area and I'm willing to concede most well reasoned and argued positions.

My opinion, though, is that if I'm the buyer in this situation? I make my best Charlie Brown noise after trying to kick the football and take my lumps... but I don't blame one bit of it on the seller. I pay and don't say boo.

As the seller though? I think in this one unique situation I might try to make some accommodation...I mean, fair is fair. I just wouldn't feel right. Also as a seller, I could take $100 from someone once, or $50 from them now and then hopefully earn a repeat customer. So it's just good business practice, perhaps.

And hey, I sold a Ms.Marvel #1 for $20 two days before the movie announcement hit.. and I didn't go back to that buyer and ask him to double what he paid me. So as a seller I'm happy to make out once in a while, but the goal is always to end a transaction with BOTH sides being happy.

No seller likes it when the buyer feels immediately like they got screwed.

Maybe the real take away here is this -

Who the hell thinks it's a good idea to buy comics at Hot Topic, for Pete's sake?

So what was the main motivation of those buying this book? Was it to turn around and make a profit? Or was this a book people really wanted to hang on to because they liked it?
Right the first time. The cover isn't even great, it's average.

I only buy what I like. Has anyone read this Star Wars comic? Is it any good?

I'm with you on that. I may have overpaid for some of my stuff, but almost all of it is for my permanent collection. I have a regular version of the the comic, and so far I actually do like it. I personally did not buy the Hot Topic issue because I felt there are at least a dozen other variant covers that I like better at normal prices. Not that I bought those either. I honestly get the sense that most (not all) people bought it simply because of the "rare" "recall" "valuable" factor and not because they actually wanted it or collected it.

Yeah I saw people were asking $50 or more for this . Thought that was crazy.My wife was shopping at a local mall and I asked her to go in to there and ask and they were selling them for $5 but sold out so she did not get me one but they had alot . saw on Ebay people paying $100+ . Book dropped to $5 in a day.

It goes to show comic book speculation is alive and well.

A dead hobby doesn`t have speculation like that.

So comic books are alive and well.

It is not recalled at this point. I was at my local hot topic at 2pm this afternoon before I went to get superbowl snack foods at the store. They had 3 copies only and I bought them all. buy one get one 50% off on everything in the store so I spent $13 and some change for all 3... So that's how recalled there are as of 02/01/2015 in my town. I saw several people claiming that copies were sold out or had been destroyed on other threads, but all I know is what happened to me today. Two copies had slight bends in the top right corner. mostly the backer board but one of them you can tell it bent the pages too. The third copy is pretty pristine. This is my first post, thanks to whoever posted this thread because I almost spent 50-100 bucks on ebay on one.

Yes I am a star wars fan and when I went to get this variant which isn't in my collection it was ridiculously priced so that's how the search engine lead me here.

The girl in the store originally told me they had been pulled off the shelf and they couldn't sell them due to a "confidential image" on the back. She pulled up the computer and looked the product up then said, "you are in luck they said we can sell them now".

I sold my 6 copies on Ebay yesterday within an hour of listing. Tonight, one of my buyers sent me a message stating that since these weren't recalled, he was going to open a case with Ebay as "Not as described" unless I refunded him his money.

So, I wrote him back telling him that I could either cancel the sale or issue a partial refund if he still wanted me to ship the books to him..

FYI, I listed my books at $60 each with free shipping.

So, this really sucks, but what ya gonna do? Buyer beware. Seller beware too, I guess.

It is not recalled at this point. I was at my local hot topic at 2pm this afternoon before I went to get superbowl snack foods at the store. They had 3 copies only and I bought them all. buy one get one 50% off on everything in the store so I spent $13 and some change for all 3... So that's how recalled there are as of 02/01/2015 in my town. I saw several people claiming that copies were sold out or had been destroyed on other threads, but all I know is what happened to me today. Two copies had slight bends in the top right corner. mostly the backer board but one of them you can tell it bent the pages too. The third copy is pretty pristine. This is my first post, thanks to whoever posted this thread because I almost spent 50-100 bucks on ebay on one.

Yes I am a star wars fan and when I went to get this variant which isn't in my collection it was ridiculously priced so that's how the search engine lead me here.

The girl in the store originally told me they had been pulled off the shelf and they couldn't sell them due to a "confidential image" on the back. She pulled up the computer and looked the product up then said, "you are in luck they said we can sell them now".

Welcome to the boards bud :hi:

I sold my 6 copies on Ebay yesterday within an hour of listing. Tonight, one of my buyers sent me a message stating that since these weren't recalled, he was going to open a case with Ebay as "Not as described" unless I refunded him his money.

So, I wrote him back telling him that I could either cancel the sale or issue a partial refund if he still wanted me to ship the books to him..

So, this really sucks, but what ya gonna do? Buyer beware. Seller beware too, I guess.

Did you list these after the information about them being recalled was available? Did the listing clearly state they were "unrecalled" or just skip the whole "recall" information altogether? Honesty, $60 seems fair to me for this issue right now, so I'm not sure why the buyer is reneging on the deal. Recalled or not recalled, this comic was never going to retain it's value. This will be a $25 comic later this year as collectors move onto the next hot shiny thing.

Sorry to hear you are having this problem.

Did you list these after the information about them being recalled was available? Did the listing clearly state they were "unrecalled" or just skip the whole "recall" information altogether? Honesty, $60 seems fair to me for this issue right now, so I'm not sure why the buyer is reneging on the deal. Recalled or not recalled, this comic was never going to retain it's value. This will be a $25 comic later this year as collectors move onto the next hot shiny thing.

Sorry to hear you are having this problem.

I listed these Saturday morning, so it was right before the recall/unrecall news broke, and my listing did say that they had been recalled (which was true when I listed them).

I think $60 was an okay price all things considered. It's irritating to have to cancel a $180 sale, but hey, Ebay is going to side with the buyer if he opens a claim. May as well go ahead, bite the bullet and move on, right? :)