• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Magazines and Overstreet prices...

32 posts in this topic

How do board members think CGC magazine prices will affect magazine values in the next Overstreet price guide? I personally think it will take a little longer for things to settle down in order to gague a mean overall price for any single magazine. It is difficult to gague values when a CGC 9.8 mag (Marvel's Legion of Monsters) sold on eBay for $305.00 (this is listed as a sale in the last Overstreet guide) only to have another one - exact same grade and page quality - sell shortly after for $149.00. There have been many other examples like this. I think things won't change dramatically in the next guide although I believe the prices will begin to change substantially in 2006 after this years Overstreet market reports - many of which I am sure will focus on magazine grading. What does anyone else think?

How do board members think CGC magazine prices will affect magazine values in the next Overstreet price guide? I personally think it will take a little longer for things to settle down in order to gague a mean overall price for any single magazine. It is difficult to gague values when a CGC 9.8 mag (Marvel's Legion of Monsters) sold on eBay for $305.00 (this is listed as a sale in the last Overstreet guide) only to have another one - exact same grade and page quality - sell shortly after for $149.00. There have been many other examples like this. I think things won't change dramatically in the next guide although I believe the prices will begin to change substantially in 2006 after this years Overstreet market reports - many of which I am sure will focus on magazine grading. What does anyone else think?

Hello my friend elsa. How have things been going? I have been super busy so my time has lacked in the forum substantially because of it. I am going through all my books and cataloging everything, so I should have more to talk about in the near future.

None the less in answer to your question, I have seen a few things shaping up. There are about 5 pretty hard core CGC Magazine buyers out there. If you follow CGC Mags enough on eBay you will know of their existence. These individuals have been holding up the CGC Magazine market very well.

I've noticed in general that CGC Skywald and Eerie Pub magazines are not doing as well. And Here is why. First of all most "investors" still are just hearing about these books. That coupled witht he fact that they pop up rarely in CGC grades makes them hard to track down. Now in addition to this, many Skywald and Eerie Pub fans, simply dont want their books encapselated between 2 thick plastic mylar slabs. They would much rather have a copy that is beautiful, in which they can touch, smell, and possibly even open a few times very carefully.

Here is the kick though, the buyers that step into Skywald, Eerie Pub and Stanley books will pay CGC type prices for the books Raw. I almost feel, that with these 3 publishers that CGC is almost a non issue until you get into the uber HG 9.2 and Higher with these. But even at that, if one of those big 5 buyers dont have the book on the radar, it will go for a modest value. Even though a CGC 9.4 Skywald, Eerie Pub or Stanley book should be going for double of any Warren 9.4 if you are basing things off of scarcity in respective grades. There are FAR less 9.2 books from the above publishers then from Warren or Marvel.

People will begin to realize this as time goes on. As for price guide values this year, you will see an appreciation. Dig out your past 5 overstreet guides and look at the values of all the top magazines, Web of Horror, Dracula Lives, Vampire Tales, Psycho, Nightmare, Scream, Chilling Tales of Horror, Shock, etc. all have at least doubled in this time frame. Some books like Nightmare #20 with Byrne's first work I believe has a little more than tripled in value.

Which is quite astonishing to see these increases while many of these books as said are still not on many radar screens. I think that the Magazine market will be very healthy in the future, and that Overstreet Values for magazines will continue to appreciate at a more accelerated rate than the comic market.

Just my thoughts! What do you guys think?

-bounty

Bounty,

I think you hit the nail on the head - especially with saying that most "investors" haven't heard about some of these books. That IMO is changing very quickly though due to forums like this, sales on ebay and books being published about them: "Warren Companion" and "The Complete Illustrated History of the Skywald Horror-Mood".

Sales of particular books on ebay aren't an accurate gage as to current value due to the occasional bid wars which would account for certain price fluctuations. As for the guide value in the new OPG for these mag sized books, I would not be surprised with a substantial increase especially on Marvel, Vampirella and the Skywald books.

Don't really know if comic mags will steadly go up in value over time, but I'm really happy about the CGC 9.8 grades I received for my SSOC #1 and #2 and the 9.6 grade for my SSOC annual #1.

Well share with us what types of prices you realized bro. Don't let us hear about the candy without getting to taste it... insane.gif

:-)

-bounty

I'll post pics tonight when I get home from work.

These were bought at cover price when they first came out. Kept all these years until sent in for grading a couple of months ago.

I believe the last SSOC #1 in 9.8 sold for around 2K. Seems way too high to me as these mags are fairly common. Maybe 9.8 grades are harder to come by. Don't know what the #2 or Annual #1 have been selling for, but I can find out.

Yes, I subscribe to GPAnalysis and like it a lot. It's a good source of information. It would be nice to have them note a few more details concerning each sale such as PQ, feedback rating of seller, was a picture used in listing?..etc.,but they still provide pretty good feedback on the sale of CGC books.

I really need to subscribe to at least one more source of comic sale info, but just haven't done it yet and don't know that many sources. I subscribe to the Comics Buyers Guide and that helps also.

Curious...Could you pull up CGC data for Creepy #9? I would be very interested to know what the sell prices have been for that guy.

Thank you in advance! hi.gif

(9.4) -810.00 (1) 810.00 - 810.00 - Sep 2004 Warren Pub.. 1 1966 1

(8.5) -86.50 (1) 86.50 - 86.50 - Jan 2004 Warren Pub.. 1 1966 1

(8.0) -27.00 (1) 27.00 - 27.00 - Jan 2004 Warren Pub.. 1 1966 1

(7.5) (2)25.25 (2) 25.25 - 31.00 31/19 Nov 2004 Warren Pub..

Here you go. Kind of ugly but you get the idea.

Dan

Thanks Dan for the info. That Creepy #9 is one of those few Warrens that actually do not have many 9.4's or higher. In fact here is the CGC Data:

Near Mint 9.4 - 2

Near Mint - 9.2 - 1

Very Fine/Near Mint 9.0 - 2

Very Fine + 8.5 - 2

Very Fine 8.0 - 1

Very Fine - 7.5 - 1

Fine/Very Fine 7.0 - 1

It is by far one of the more popular Warren Issues due to an Awesome Frazetta cover, 1st Published Wrightson Art, and Low Distribution to boot, but not very many graded? You would think that all those that did have nice copies would have flocked this one in hard and early. Compare this one to Creepy #10 and some of the #5-6 issues. You will see multi 9.6's and some freak'n 9.8's. I'm wondering how many of these Creepy #9's were actually in the Warren Wherehouse stash confused-smiley-013.gif

I think that People will be suprised with this one in the future...

By the way, who do you think the buyer was for that $810 CGC 9.4 copy? His last name goes *ring ding ring ding* gossip.gif

-bounty

(9.4) -810.00 (1) 810.00 - 810.00 - Sep 2004 Warren Pub.. 1 1966 1

(8.5) -86.50 (1) 86.50 - 86.50 - Jan 2004 Warren Pub.. 1 1966 1

(8.0) -27.00 (1) 27.00 - 27.00 - Jan 2004 Warren Pub.. 1 1966 1

(7.5) (2)25.25 (2) 25.25 - 31.00 31/19 Nov 2004 Warren Pub..

Here you go. Kind of ugly but you get the idea.

Dan

By the way, someone got an amazing deal on that 8.0 VF for $27 893whatthe.gif

One other thing I just discovered...Doug Sulipa has been buying Skywald issues on the open market through eBay for the past month. I think that he knows something about the prices in the New OSPG that will be coming out very shortly... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Will be interesting to see.

-bounty

I think that he knows something about the prices in the New OSPG that will be coming out very shortly... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The OSPG came out last week. gossip.gif

I think that he knows something about the prices in the New OSPG that will be coming out very shortly... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh Say Wha!?!?!

Could you let me know what the Price on Psycho #1 and Nightmare #1 are?!?!?!!? in NM 9.2 (this is as high as the guide goes correct?)

Pretty Please!!! flowerred.gif

I need to go out and get one!!!! frustrated.gif

Oh Say Wha!?!?!

Could you let me know what the Price on Psycho #1 and Nightmare #1 are?!?!?!!? in NM 9.2 (this is as high as the guide goes correct?)

Pretty Please!!! flowerred.gif

I need to go out and get one!!!! frustrated.gif

Nightmare - NM 9.2 = $100.

Psycho - NM 9.2 = $95.

Scream - NM 9.2 = $60.

hi.gif

Man, I don't know how I was so in the dark on this one!?!?!...None the less I have a copy coming my way, should get it by Thursday...I cannot wait.

Nice move on the Psycho #1, about 12%, that should get more prounced as more catch on.

How did the Eerie Pub books Do?

Could you give me an update on the First two Terror Tales issues in NM 9.2 and the First Issue of Tales of Voodoo in NM 9.2 and the first Issue of Weird in NM 9.2 flowerred.gif

hail.gif

-bounty