• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why don't you participate in the read 1000 comics in a year thread?

64 posts in this topic

I've tried participating in previous threads just for fun and to have a record of what I read, but making a log turned into work and I bailed.
That's my hang up. While I'm pretty sure I read 1000 comics within any given year, having to track and record each book would suck out much of the enjoyment I get from reading them.

Yup. Nothing sucks the fun out of it like keeping track.

I've tried participating in previous threads just for fun and to have a record of what I read, but making a log turned into work and I bailed.
That's my hang up. While I'm pretty sure I read 1000 comics within any given year, having to track and record each book would suck out much of the enjoyment I get from reading them.

This.

Maybe change the thread so it does't focus on quantity but quality.

EVERYONE!

The number '1000' isn't a required goal! If you read 10 comics a year, tell us about them! You probably have better reasons to read just those 10 than anyone that is reading just to "get to 1000."

I read so much last year because I have a library card and a lot of time on my hands. But if I caught a good job, I probably wouldn't read 300 or so issues in a year, and Id still list them out here.

It's just a thread to actually encourage discussion about comics, and it's even ones we are reading!

Come one, come all!

:foryou:

-slym

Or don't post every single book you read. Just the better ones or the ones you can remember. I think it's cool to see what everyone else is reading and if someone else reads a bunch of books I like maybe I'll try some other books on their list I haven't read yet.

This.

Maybe change the thread so it does't focus on quantity but quality.

Just post the better ones. I bet I'm not the only one who'd like too see all the books you like in one spot.

Takes me forever to get through a strip collection for some reason.

You're not the only one. Trying to get through D_ick Tracy or Little Orphan Anny volume takes forever. Other strips fly by pretty quick.

Always gave up like others on keeping count in prior years. I am trying to be more anally retentive this year to live up to all Frenchmen reputation apparently but also since I am curious to see what my count actually will be.

Oh, also, I have subs to two services and I am not using them as much as I should. So I will say that this has shifted my reading away from other forms to comics. The pendulum might shift back soon if I continue to hit more mess from my Marvel Unlimited account. Some books are plain atrocious. No one's forcing to read them but the tone of many of these books is truly horrible!

EVERYONE!

The number '1000' isn't a required goal! If you read 10 comics a year, tell us about them! You probably have better reasons to read just those 10 than anyone that is reading just to "get to 1000."

I read so much last year because I have a library card and a lot of time on my hands. But if I caught a good job, I probably wouldn't read 300 or so issues in a year, and Id still list them out here.

It's just a thread to actually encourage discussion about comics, and it's even ones we are reading!

Come one, come all!

-slym

This.

The reason I started that thread 5 (or whatever number) years ago was two-fold. The main reason was to start a conversation on what books are good to read, and what to avoid. It's a comic forum. Why not talk about comics?

I picked 1000 at the time, because I had about that many in my home that I hadn't read, and thought it would be a good way to challenge myself to catch up.

Sadly, I still have more than 1000 books at home that I haven't read. But I have learned there are a number of books out there, that people have said are good, that I have been turned on to. It shouldn't feel like a chore. It was meant to be fun and elicit conversation.

PS. It isn't too late to join. :foryou:

Because I'm not an anally retentive Frenchman who loves to plan things and the. Keep track of the things I planned.

hm

I've done if for 4 (maybe 5 ?) years in a row and read over 2000 comics each year.

But I've decided to stop participating... it's been the same now since the first one, the first 3-4 months you have dozens of people participating and after 8 months, 90% have dropped off and it's only me and one or two others (usually Paperheart) keeping the thread alive.

Besides I don't know if I want to be in the same thread as a user who reads 750 comics a month lol

I'm kind of surprised more people don't. I guess 1000 is a lot? I've read a lot this month for me.

I don't buy new comics, so getting to 1000 is tough. The back issues I buy, I generally don't read b/c I am still buying parts of the story line, or am just buying them to have them.

Because I'm not an anally retentive Frenchman who loves to plan things and the. Keep track of the things I planned.

hm

I've done if for 4 (maybe 5 ?) years in a row and read over 2000 comics each year.

But I've decided to stop participating... it's been the same now since the first one, the first 3-4 months you have dozens of people participating and after 8 months, 90% have dropped off and it's only me and one or two others (usually Paperheart) keeping the thread alive.

Besides I don't know if I want to be in the same thread as a user who reads 750 comics a month lol

I'm guilty of this. I look in, but fail to fully participate. :sorry:

I don't have time to read more than a single book an evening. Sometimes I don't even get that done. Yesterday I went right to sleep when I went to bed. The day before that I finished the trade I was reading and read the equivalent of 2 comics.

hm

How many brain cells do you think that kills?

hm

lol

EVERYONE!

Come one, come all!

Or don't post every single book you read. Just the better ones or the ones you can remember. I think it's cool to see what everyone else is reading and if someone else reads a bunch of books I like maybe I'll try some other books on their list I haven't read yet.

If that's what you want to do, we are fine with that!

:)

-slym

EVERYONE!

Come one, come all!

This.

The reason I started that thread 5 (or whatever number) years ago was two-fold. The main reason was to start a conversation on what books are good to read, and what to avoid. It's a comic forum. Why not talk about comics?

I picked 1000 at the time, because I had about that many in my home that I hadn't read, and thought it would be a good way to challenge myself to catch up.

Sadly, I still have more than 1000 books at home that I haven't read. But I have learned there are a number of books out there, that people have said are good, that I have been turned on to. It shouldn't feel like a chore. It was meant to be fun and elicit conversation.

BTW - sorry 'bout stealing your thunder this year... hope it wasn't a total -move on my part.

:eek:

-slym

EVERYONE!

Come one, come all!

This.

BTW - sorry 'bout stealing your thunder this year... hope it wasn't a total -move on my part.

:eek:

-slym

Not at all bud. Glad it is being continued. (thumbs u