• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Planetary - Ellis, Cassady

112 posts in this topic

It's like the TV series The Wire.

I had never watched it, then binge watched it over a short period of time.

All my friends were freaking out, and saying how jealous they were that I was watching it for the first time, and could watch the whole series in a row.

I recommend The Wire to anyone who hasn't watched it.

You have to give it till about the middle of season 1, and then you will be hooked.

First couple of episodes are kinda slow, but give it time.

My all time favorite show. I don't say that much, as it's almost become the cliché series to pick when asked, but my god is it amazing.

Yes it is.

Man, it gets sooooo addicting.

It's like the TV series The Wire.

I had never watched it, then binge watched it over a short period of time.

All my friends were freaking out, and saying how jealous they were that I was watching it for the first time, and could watch the whole series in a row.

I recommend The Wire to anyone who hasn't watched it.

You have to give it till about the middle of season 1, and then you will be hooked.

First couple of episodes are kinda slow, but give it time.

My all time favorite show. I don't say that much, as it's almost become the cliché series to pick when asked, but my god is it amazing.

Yes it is.

Man, it gets sooooo addicting.

And if I'm not mistaken....not a single Emmy :taptaptap:

I've gotten off topic talking about The Wire.....for the 7,000th time in my life.

Well, I've finished the series!

So good...

I have the one-shots left, but the main series itself is history. I loved it.

Maybe Ellis revisits this world one day. Seems to be plenty of stories left in this universe.

Heck, I would take a series with the 1800 century babies in it. Vampire, Sherlock, and that team. Would eat it up.

I loved the century baby angle of the book. Heck, I loved the whole thing but I agree, there is a lot of story left at this point. I do worry that if he did come back, it might be received the same way Frank Miller's DKR 2 ( which I like) is and that would be a bummer. 2c

As a Garth Ennis fan, I'd also throw in the Kev books and the Midnighter mini-series.

The Kev books are so amazing it is physically painful.

I loved Planetary & the Authority when I read them a couple years ago and I didn't want it to end. Haven't read the mini-series (don't know why (shrug) ) but now I have something to hunt down (thumbs u

Man, I just loved Planetary so much. It really was like nothing else I'd ever read. For me, I'd say it has a greater re-read potential than anything else I can think of. I read Transmetropolitan straight through, but it was after I had read Planetary. I liked it, but I truly believe Planetary is Ellis' best work.

I envy you so badly for being able to read it straight through for the 1st time. I picked it up around issue 17 & spent a few months hunting down 1-16. But the wait in between the last half dozen issues was... torturous.

If you end up liking Stormwatch/Authority, you also need to read Lobdell/Casey's Wildcats Vol 2 and Joe Casey's Wildcats Version 3.0 as well. Dear god was that amazing as well.

That era of WildStorm comics was unmatched in line-wide perfection during the early-mid 00's. Stormwatch/Authority, Wildcats Vol 2 & Version 3.0, Planetary... even StormWatch: Team Achilles was great until the incomplete ending with the writer fired for lying on his resume & the final issue never being released. It was revolutionary in storytelling & redefining the superhero genre for the 21st century, IMO.

Now I need to re-read all of Ellis' Wildstorm work.

Probably my favorite all-time series.

It's a comic for comic nerds. The delays were brutal when it was being published, but you never felt ripped off with an issue. Great stuff.

I'd say it's a comic for comic and pop culture nerds. Godzilla, Sherlock Holmes, the John Woo stuff are all above and beyond the comic realm he was mining.

I re-read it when I got the Absolute editions and it was funny to think back on how screwed up the schedule was. Reading it again was a blast, especially the Absolute edition.

Man, I just loved Planetary so much. It really was like nothing else I'd ever read. For me, I'd say it has a greater re-read potential than anything else I can think of. I read Transmetropolitan straight through, but it was after I had read Planetary. I liked it, but I truly believe Planetary is Ellis' best work.

+1 on that. Ellis is a creative guy, but he's also a ridiculous culture vacuum. Planetary is the mining all that culture and spinning pure gold out of it.

Don't disservice yourself by not getting those last issues of the original run that he did. He introduced Jenny Sparks, Rose Tattoo, and Jack Hawksmoor in those issues. I really liked Raney's art on the book too.

I spent long time looking for a 9.8 Stormwatch 37. Never happened.

I'd say it's a comic for comic and pop culture nerds. Godzilla, Sherlock Holmes, the John Woo stuff are all above and beyond the comic realm he was mining.

Yeah, probably a better description, but I kind of assume comic nerd encompasses the whole thing. What comic nerd doesn't like Godzilla? Or doesn't know Holmes? Or Woo movies?