• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Import fees question UPDATE

46 posts in this topic

Hey guys I'm running into a problem where I'm paying import fees for comics that are valuable

so what are my alternative choices and is there a way around this?

I just received 500 dollars worth in coins and guess what? no import charges though I'm not sure if it's because they are coins or because I did it off ebay? thoughts?

Where are you shipping to? US to Canada? I'm honestly not sure. I just know that customs is very strict on declaring value and they have a lot of power including the right to confiscate your property if they find you intentionally neglecting to declare value. I was told this the last time I picked books up from Michigan.

Where are you shipping to? US to Canada? I'm honestly not sure. I just know that customs is very strict on declaring value and they have a lot of power including the right to confiscate your property if they find you intentionally neglecting to declare value. I was told this the last time I picked books up from Michigan.

I buy comics from the us and have it shipped to Canada and anything that's valuable I get charged with import fee :(

I buy comics from the us and have it shipped to Canada and anything that's valuable I get charged with import fee :(

If you don't like the laws of your country, move. (thumbs u

So you want to cut into Canada's profits ay?

I shouldn't but :roflmao:

fonzie.jpg

Eh!

The fonz :)

Man, loved this series back then on the tube!

Anyway, to the OP, about saving some money. Print off your purchases on the comics' values, and take them with you on your trip down south by drive. If that is, you are close to the border and you have your U.S. shipping address in account with a parcel store there.

If you don't like the laws of your country, move. (thumbs u

lol that's one of the options I've considered but I don't have enough money right now to do so

So you want to cut into Canada's profits ay?

I shouldn't but :roflmao:

fonzie.jpg

Eh!

The fonz :)

Man, loved this series back then on the tube!

Anyway, to the OP, about saving some money. Print off your purchases on the comics' values, and take them with you on your trip down south by drive. If that is, you are close to the border and you have your U.S. shipping address in account with a parcel store there.

sounds like a plan what post offices do this?

Most places near the border are parcel stores where people pick up their parcels. You can Google that in your area if you are close by.

This is the most reasonable option. BUy a PO Box accross the border, and go there to pick up and mail packages whenever you need to. Of course, this also takes time and money, and there may be size limitations depending on how big your packages are and how often you get them. Do some real math and see if that's worth it, because it takes GAS money and PO Box money and/or possibly currency translation fees to do this too and a bunch of time depending on where you live to do this too.

The other option is to include the import fees into your budget/cost model, and evaluate if its really worth it for you to be dealing comics at this point in your life given your circumstances, whether or not it is really viable, or if you need more business and comics experience and/or education first.

This is the most reasonable option. BUy a PO Box accross the border, and go there to pick up and mail packages whenever you need to. Of course, this also takes time and money, and there may be size limitations depending on how big your packages are and how often you get them. Do some real math and see if that's worth it, because it takes GAS money and PO Box money and/or possibly currency translation fees to do this too and a bunch of time depending on where you live to do this too..

Are you not still liable for import duties when you bring the goods across the border ?