• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are more film Franchises really that bad for Hollywood?

11 posts in this topic

I am not sure what I read there. The man seems to have an idealistic view of the "Golden Age" that simply did not exist.

And all this talk about franchises and this Bridman character haunting the character who is known for it. That is a story at least as old as Lugosi and DRACULA. Speaking of DRACULA, has he heard about the Universal Monster films (still viable enough to be on DVD and even Bly-Ray to this day). Let's see, just running this off the top of my head:

Dracula, Dracula's Daughter, Son Of Dracula, House of Dracula

Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Son Of Frankenstein, Ghost of Frankenstein, House of Frankenstein, Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein

The Mummy, The Mummy's Hand, The Mummy's Ghost, The Mummy's Tomb, Abbot and Costello Meet the Mummy

The Invisible Man, The Invisible Man's Revenge, The Invisible Woman, Invisible Agent, Invisible Man Returns

The Wolf Man, Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, She-Wolf Of London

The Creature From The Black Lagoon, The Creature's Revenge, The Creature Walks Among Us

That's a heck of a franchise and I, for one, am much happier with them having been made!

The problem with franchises is that Hollywood has limited funds, if most of the money goes to these established properties, then it's likely unique, out of the norm films won't be made.

The problem with franchises is that Hollywood has limited funds, if most of the money goes to these established properties, then it's likely unique, out of the norm films won't be made.

There will still be tons of money available for other films. Yes, the quantity seems large but even in total, spread out over those years, the number of the superhero genre films will still be in the minority (by far) of all other films coming out. I really would not be concerned by that.

The guy's an insufficiently_thoughtful_person pretending to be a film buff. There is more variety and sophistication of cinematic art being produced today that at any previous point in history.

AND we have a feast of comicbook sci-fi fantasy movies, which by the way are generally far better written, directed and acted than their equivalents of yesteryear.

It's easy to mention a few old classics and say they don't make 'em like that any more, but of course they do. And let's not forget the heaping, steaming mountains of absolute dross Hollywood pumped out in the old days too.

I am not sure what I read there. The man seems to have an idealistic view of the "Golden Age" that simply did not exist.

And all this talk about franchises and this Bridman character haunting the character who is known for it. That is a story at least as old as Lugosi and DRACULA. Speaking of DRACULA, has he heard about the Universal Monster films (still viable enough to be on DVD and even Bly-Ray to this day). Let's see, just running this off the top of my head:

Dracula, Dracula's Daughter, Son Of Dracula, House of Dracula

Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Son Of Frankenstein, Ghost of Frankenstein, House of Frankenstein, Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein

The Mummy, The Mummy's Hand, The Mummy's Ghost, The Mummy's Tomb, Abbot and Costello Meet the Mummy

The Invisible Man, The Invisible Man's Revenge, The Invisible Woman, Invisible Agent, Invisible Man Returns

The Wolf Man, Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, She-Wolf Of London

The Creature From The Black Lagoon, The Creature's Revenge, The Creature Walks Among Us

That's a heck of a franchise and I, for one, am much happier with them having been made!

Exactly :)

List of film series with MORE THAN 20 entries

There will still be tons of money available for other films. Yes, the quantity seems large but even in total, spread out over those years, the number of the superhero genre films will still be in the minority (by far) of all other films coming out. I really would not be concerned by that.

I forgot to mention lack of screens. Threatre owners are less likely to show and keep an independent film if they are competing with franchises.

Hollywood movies so far has weathered the storm compared to other media.

Books, TV ratings and music sales are way down compared to 20 years ago.

The blockbuster movies shown at a theatre seem to be immune so far.

Amazing if you think about it with Blu-ray and streaming as alternative ways to watch a movie.

Hollywood movies so far has weathered the storm compared to other media.

Books, TV ratings and music sales are way down compared to 20 years ago.

The blockbuster movies shown at a theatre seem to be immune o far.

Amazing if you think about it with Blu-ray and streaming as alternative ways to watch a movie.

The actual number ticket sales are down 20% from their 20 year peak in 2002-2003, and have declined each of the last four years.

Revenue is up because of higher ticket prices and IMAX prices, and the start of the decline began as those ticket prices went up and IMAX prices obviously turned some viewers off.