• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover Variation on New Mutants #86

49 posts in this topic

I'm going to bid. It will almost certainly sell for more than I can afford, but what the hey...it's an important book.

Why is it an important book? (shrug) This thread basically debunked its supposed importance. Unless you really think that a cameo of Stryfe, or the second Liefeld art in the title is important...

I'm going to bid. It will almost certainly sell for more than I can afford, but what the hey...it's an important book.

Why is it an important book? (shrug) This thread basically debunked its supposed importance. Unless you really think that a cameo of Stryfe, or the second Liefeld art in the title is important...

I don't think the book was ever considered a cameo of Cable because of the next issue blurb. I think most people thought that was cable at the end of the story sitting down. I was one of these people. I was relying on 25 year old memories. I pulled my copy out, and it does appear to be Stryfe and not Cable.

Not that any of this matters, since everyone here should know that the first appearance of Nathaniel Summers ( AKA Cable) is in Uncanny X-men # 201. I know most of y'all are not a fan of this, but it is what it is. If the events that take place in UXM 201 don't happen, Cable doesn't happen.

I've been wondering when someone would bring Marvel Age 82 into the equation. I figured that there are probably enough people in the know that were still stockpiling and therefore remaining silent. Mile High has made some adjustments in pricing:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=milehighcomics&item=281567002267&_osacat=0&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.Xmarvel+age+82.TRS1&_nkw=marvel+age+82&_sacat=0

Back in the olden days, when a "hot" artist took over a book, it was considered a bigger deal than it is now.

Yes, Annual #5 is his first work on the book, but #86 is when he began the run. It was, and still is, an important book.

Chiming in to echo everything RMA's said. That:

1) Cable doesn't appear in NM 86 -- it's an ad only.

2) 86 is an important book as the start of the Liefeld run, and in my area (Philly suburbs) back in the day was still worth more than 88 (2nd Cable) even at the peak of the Cable hype.

In my area people collected the run of 86-100. While Annual 5 was also sought after (as "1st Liefeld on title"), only hardcore folks cared about 85 (Liefeld cover only) or Annual 6-7.

I wouldn't call 86 an important book. Maybe to Rob Liefeld fans, but I would say that represents a small percentage nowadays.

Nobody cares about Liefeld, but in a weird testament to his talents, his created characters ( Cable and Deadpool) are the reason 87 and 98 are always going to be Copper keys.

I wouldn't call 86 an important book. Maybe to Rob Liefeld fans, but I would say that represents a small percentage nowadays.

Nobody cares about Liefeld, but in a weird testament to his talents, his created characters ( Cable and Deadpool) are the reason 87 and 98 are always going to be Copper keys.

This is like saying pearl harbor isn't important, because nobody cares anymore.

Obviously that's an extreme example, but it makes my point.

New mutants 86 is a very important book in the historical aspect. Just because it doesn't have a first appearance, or doesn't sell for $$$$, does not mean its not important. Honestly, it doesn't even matter if people nowadays care or not... its still important ( see pearl harbor )

This is like saying pearl harbor isn't important, because nobody cares anymore.

Obviously that's an extreme example, but it makes my point.

New mutants 86 is a very important book in the historical aspect. Just because it doesn't have a first appearance, or doesn't sell for $$$$, does not mean its not important. Honestly, it doesn't even matter if people nowadays care or not... its still important ( see pearl harbor )

Wait..what?? :roflmao: