• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The last eBay thread?

326 posts in this topic

When does this demise occur exactly? sounds like a bunch of BS that people who don't like eBay are just too pleased to shout to the world.

About Quartz.com...

"Its team of 25 staff members was pulled together from prominent brands in business journalism: Bloomberg, The Wall Street Journal, The Economist, and the New York Times."

The article has also been reposted by many major financial and Wall Street news blogs.

I was referring to people who start threads with the article being all to pleased with themselves, not the group that wrote it.

I'm a businessman. Many many people on these boards both buy and sell using eBay. I waited several days for this article to appear here, since it seemed pretty significant to the collectibles markets including comics. When no one else posted it, I did. I offered no comment or opinion on the article beyond its news-worthiness.

And you did, in fact, call the article "BS".

Not at all sure why you're being such a jerk?

My 2c :

eBay isn't going anywhere...just going to become another typical retail site. The glory days are over...but it won't disappear.

Not much difference. They're going to stay around but they'll be a shadow of who they were.

Don't understand the hate for ebay. If I want something, I can find it. If I want to sell something, I can. Just bought $400 worth of hatchback shocks on ebay for $40. Do I want to sell comics to a comic store? No.

(tsk)

Well, the hate for eBay on here is about a fraction of the hate that is generally expressed against comic shops. Not sure why, when you admit you can buy stuff on eBay for 10-cents on the dollar, that you would want to sell your stuff on there instead of a decent comic shop?

Don't understand the hate for ebay. If I want something, I can find it. If I want to sell something, I can. Just bought $400 worth of hatchback shocks on ebay for $40. Do I want to sell comics to a comic store? No.

(tsk)

Well, the hate for eBay on here is about a fraction of the hate that is generally expressed against comic shops. Not sure why, when you admit you can buy stuff on eBay for 10-cents on the dollar, that you would want to sell your stuff on there instead of a decent comic shop?

Because I can - usually - get "market value" for my stuff from eBay. I can never get "market value" for my stuff from a decent comic shop, because the comic shop is out to make money, just like I am.

eBay's not going anywhere.

(tsk)

Comic shops rip you off. :gossip:

+1

I don't understand it, either. Over the past 17 years on Ebay, I've bought countless car parts and endless amount of vintage tchotchke krap that I love, as well as plenty of comics. Ebay will never go away - if anything, it might go back to it's old used krap/garage sale glory days where buying something brand new probably meant it was stolen.

(tsk)

Things that are inflated in value, like a car dealer charging $400 for hatchback shocks, I can buy at the actual value on ebay. I can sell my comics at actual value too. This is great business. Would you rather sell a comic for $30 on ebay or get $2 from a comic shop?

(tsk)

Well, we certainly try. Sometimes, though, customers just won't fall for it. Fortunately, with 16,000 sq.ft. and 4 separate basements, we have plenty of room to hide the bodies of those who won't "play ball". We generally do this with elderly folks who've mentioned they have no relatives to leave their stuff to... when they vanish there are few to question what happened to them.

Besides... with the massive massive rip-off profits us shop owners make, it's very easy to pay off the local (and sometimes even federal) authorities.

(tsk)

As a former shop owner, I'd say that you're wrong on that aspect. Sure, some do - but most are honest business people who have to pay overhead costs like rent, utilities, insurance, bank fees, professional fees, workers comp, taxes, licensing and a litany of other costs that Average Joe doesn't have to incur on Ebay. It costs money to operate a business - something that many people aren't familiar with.

I wonder If the ebay haters have been burned big time on there, whether it be as a buyer or as a seller. Ebay didn't always have buyer protection, and nowadays they usually favor the buyer in all regards. I could see how hate towards them could develop If you felt you were treated unfairly. I've been buying and selling on ebay for over a decade now, and 95% of my transactions have been successful.

(tsk)

As a former shop owner, I'd say that you're wrong on that aspect. Sure, some do - but most are honest business people who have to pay overhead costs like rent, utilities, insurance, bank fees, professional fees, workers comp, taxes, licensing and a litany of other costs that Average Joe doesn't have to incur on Ebay. It costs money to operate a business - something that many people aren't familiar with.

This is definitely true-that's why they have to pay so little for comics.

You can make fun of it but it's a fact comic shops pay 20% or less for comics.

That's about as big a generalization as saying that all people named kav only speak in generalizations.

That's about as big a generalization as saying that all people named kav only speak in generalizations.

I notice all the comic shop owners are defending comic shops the people that have tried to sell them are excoriating them hm

I notice all the comic shop owners are defending comic shops the people that have tried to sell them are excoriating them hm

Generalizing again. The kavs vs the kav nots.

Generalizing again. The kavs vs the kav nots.

Generally speaking, comic shops will rip you off

(tsk)

When it comes to buying, sure comic shop owners are usually great. When it comes to selling, fuhgettaboutit.

You can say I'm wrong all you want, but I've experienced exactly what I'm describing.