• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The last eBay thread?

326 posts in this topic

I'm just defending ebay-I can sell my $30 book for $30 on ebay-at a comic shop I'd get maybe $5. So if ebay goes away, I'm screwed.

You sold a book that lists for $30 for $30? And then the buyer had to pay, what, $4-$7 shipping on top of that. Extra if he wants it insured and tracked?

Or he could have walked into my shop and probably bought it for 20% off and no shipping fees.. ie, $24 instead of $37.

You, sir, are a rip-off artist!!!

When did I say buying from a comic store is a rip off? Don't straw man me.

You didn't. Nor did I. I said you are a rip-off seller. You sold some poor schmo a comic for 54% more than he likely could have gotten from a shop. And what's more... you have little overhead. You could have sold that book for $20 if you wanted to.

The point is... if comic shops are "rip-off" buyers, you, as a "rip-off" seller, are simply the pot slandering the kettle.

So your shop has every comic and priced at 54% less than ebay. Sure thing dude.

You have no idea who you're talking to. The guy is highly regarded locally and on here.

+1

Tim has had more good books than you will ever own in your life.

His dad can probably beat up my dad too.

It has nothing to do with anything like that.

He has been in business for probably 30 years. He gets good books and has for years and years and years. He has more in his store room than most stores carry in back issues.

He has had Marvel Mystery #1 (I know, I bought it). He has had Captain America #1. He's probably had Batman #1. He had a near full run of Centaur comics. He's had many copies of all Marvel & DC keys.

He's a real dealer that gets and sells product. He's not a store that only carries new comics and some toys.

Kav I think you might need to rethink your definition of 'rip you off'. If you agree to buy something at a price, and someone sells you exactly what you expected at that price, you have not been ripped off, you've done something I call 'buying'.

If you were somehow lied to about it, or given something other than what you've bought, THEN and ONLY then have you been ripped off.

What the seller paid for it has ZERO bearing on whether or not you've been ripped off, unless perhaps he lies to you about it.

If the LCS offers you a price for your comics and you accept, and they sell it for more (even much more), have you been ripped off? Not if they didn't lie to you about it. Is it nice? or best business practice? Maybe not, but there's a HUGE difference between not being nice and 'ripping people off'

Comic stores like most companies and stores, buy something at a lower price, then resell it to you for a gain. That gain goes to cover all the overhead and salary and taxes, and ideally there would be some leftover for them so they can buy food and clothe their children. These principles are the basics of something we call 'business'. This is the basis of 'economics.' Certainly your doctor wouldn't charge his wife or kids when they'll feel sick and he examines them, but that doesn't mean he's ripping you off when he charges you for an examination.

I'm just defending ebay-I can sell my $30 book for $30 on ebay-at a comic shop I'd get maybe $5. So if ebay goes away, I'm screwed.

Craigslist? Amazon? atomicavenue?

eBay isn't going anywhere.

It is stupid for them to split apart payPal. CEOs don't know everything.

Kav means comic shops won't give you fair market value or anywhere close, which is true for the reasons stated previously.

eBay eliminates the need for a store front, so there is no pressure to deal with comic shop owners anymore.

If eBay did go, wouldn't some online store with a better business model just replace it. It's too lucrative an idea to thing an online buy/sell store wouldn't still be popular.

:golfclap: Finally the voice of reason has arrived

kav, please just choose your words more carefully and avoid such broad sweeping generalizations. On the rare instances where you have a lucid, viable point, you just come off sounding like a troll with some type of social disorder.

"I hope ebay doesn't go down because I make more significantly money selling my comics their than selling to my LCS, and I get that they have overhead and other costs, ebay just works better for me."

instead we get

"Comic books stores generally rip people off."

From Quartz.com (Jan. 23, 2015):

Activist investor Carl Icahn’s successful push to spin off PayPal is in full motion—and that means the imminent demise of eBay as we know it.

Ebay has outlined its plans for what the company will look like post-separation. Clearly, PayPal is winning this breakup. While the split props up PayPal with $5 billion in cash and no debt, it leaves eBay saddled with $7.6 billion in debt (against $2 billion in net cash) and an online auction business that revolutionized e-commerce early on, but is now showing its age. Ebay is laying off 7% of its workforce, with much of those cuts coming from its legacy marketplace business.

With traffic and sales slowing, eBay has tried to refashion its namesake auction site from an antiquated yard sale into an on-trend retailer. But it’s facing greater competition from the soon-to-IPO crafts marketplace Etsy and even old-school retailers like Walmart, Staples, and Home Depot. (Also not helping: the US dollar’s strength, which makes American goods more expensive to international buyers; security breaches; and problems with how eBay shows up in some search engines.)

It’s unlikely any of the changes executives outlined so far to prop up eBay will be enough to save it. Even eBay’s CFO laid it on straight: “Things will get worse in the first half of 2015 before they get better,” he told analysts, after eBay released fourth-quarter financial results.

To help focus the company, eBay plans to scale back its work on costly, Amazon-like features such as same-day delivery, and will split off Bay Enterprise, the business services division that grew up around an acquisition the company made less than four years ago for $2.4 billion.

Instead it plans to focus on eBay Deals, a daily deal site akin to a Groupon or LivingSocial—and that’s an increasingly crowded and cutthroat area facing its own challenges as consumers tire of one-time deals.

..... I forgot to thank you for sharing this, Bookery. It alerts me for possible changes to eBay..... of which they will likely make any announcements as opaque and fine print embedded as they can legally get away with. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

kav, please just choose your words more carefully and avoid such broad sweeping generalizations. On the rare instances where you have a lucid, viable point, you just come off sounding like a troll with some type of social disorder.

"I hope ebay doesn't go down because I make more significantly money selling my comics their than selling to my LCS, and I get that they have overhead and other costs, ebay just works better for me."

instead we get

"Comic books stores generally rip people off."

We're all doing the best we can.

You sold a book that lists for $30 for $30? And then the buyer had to pay, what, $4-$7 shipping on top of that. Extra if he wants it insured and tracked?

Or he could have walked into my shop and probably bought it for 20% off and no shipping fees.. ie, $24 instead of $37.

You, sir, are a rip-off artist!!!

When did I say buying from a comic store is a rip off? Don't straw man me.

You didn't. Nor did I. I said you are a rip-off seller. You sold some poor schmo a comic for 54% more than he likely could have gotten from a shop. And what's more... you have little overhead. You could have sold that book for $20 if you wanted to.

The point is... if comic shops are "rip-off" buyers, you, as a "rip-off" seller, are simply the pot slandering the kettle.

So your shop has every comic and priced at 54% less than ebay. Sure thing dude.

You have no idea who you're talking to. The guy is highly regarded locally and on here.

+1

Tim has had more good books than you will ever own in your life.

His dad can probably beat up my dad too.

:roflmao:

Oh my god. Im not taking sides here. But Kav.. I missed your humor

Speaking of percentages.... here's a fun fact.

Kav has made exactly 16 well-thought out, useful, and informative posts out of a total of 20,121. That's a .08% of posts wothy of Board time.

Kav is, in fact, a rip-off poster!!!

Just bought $400 worth of hatchback shocks on ebay for $40.

Got a link for that? I couldn't find it. Link.

These guys-they are awesome

http://www.ebay.com/sch/liftsupportzone/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=200&_trksid=p3692

Ps dont try to remove old struts yourself unless you have the proper tools-they have to be cut off then a socket used due to the powerful loctite used. If you try to use a wrench to unscrew bolt you will strip it.

Kav has made exactly 16 well-thought out, useful, and informative posts out of a total of 20,121. That's a .08% of posts wothy of Board time.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/liftsupportzone/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=200&_trksid=p3692

Ps dont try to remove old struts yourself unless you have the proper tools-they have to be cut off then a socket used due to the powerful loctite used. If you try to use a wrench to unscrew bolt you will strip it.

STALKER!

lol

Don't understand the hate for ebay. If I want something, I can find it. If I want to sell something, I can. Just bought $400 worth of hatchback shocks on ebay for $40. Do I want to sell comics to a comic store? No.

(tsk)

Well, the hate for eBay on here is about a fraction of the hate that is generally expressed against comic shops. Not sure why, when you admit you can buy stuff on eBay for 10-cents on the dollar, that you would want to sell your stuff on there instead of a decent comic shop?

Comic shops rip you off. :gossip:

As a former shop owner, I'd say that you're wrong on that aspect. Sure, some do - but most are honest business people who have to pay overhead costs like rent, utilities, insurance, bank fees, professional fees, workers comp, taxes, licensing and a litany of other costs that Average Joe doesn't have to incur on Ebay. It costs money to operate a business - something that many people aren't familiar with.

When it comes to buying, sure comic shop owners are usually great. When it comes to selling, fuhgettaboutit.

You can say I'm wrong all you want, but I've experienced exactly what I'm describing.

You're not really describing anything. You said "Comic shops rip you off" which isn't terribly descriptive about anything in particular.

How is that the shop owner's fault for charging too much on a comic? It's your choice to pay. Shop somewhere else that is cheaper and move on if you don't like the price. To say that a shop owner is ripping you off because they charge too much is stretching it a bit - and to use a Roy-ism: it's generalizing.

My comment wasn't descriptive, yet you interpreted it as me slamming comic shops for charging too much for their books? If that's how I came across, then I apologize.

My "Comic shops rip you off" comment had nothing to do with buying from shops (I buy from comic shops all the time and usually find some great deals) but rather selling to shops. I understand that comic shop owners need to make a buck, and need to cover other costs, but I stopped trying to sell to shops a long time ago, because of the ridiculous low ball offers I would receive. The internet has provided much better selling outlets as opposed to the LCS. Ebay just happens to be one of those outlets.

So to re-word my comment in a way that is more descriptive...

I feel that I will get an incredibly lowball offer If I try to sell my books to a comic shop.