• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All female Avengers team

111 posts in this topic

How many issues do you actually think the team will last?

Wasn't the Avengers Ghost Rider and Wolverine for a while?

It's just meant to spike sales for one issue, probably finish one or two story arcs, and then it's back to A list characters. Probably just in time for another movie.

Are you thinking about Ghost Rider, Wolverine, Hulk and Spider-man being the Fantastic Four?

It's just meant to spike sales for one issue, probably finish one or two story arcs, and then it's back to A list characters. Probably just in time for another movie.

Are you thinking about Ghost Rider, Wolverine, Hulk and Spider-man being the Fantastic Four?
lol Yeah that's it.

Anyway, this Avengers team isn't as bad as it could have been. Could have been nothing but Deadpool and symbiote costumed characters.

I'm just curious what the story reason is for having no male members.

:blush: Isn't that the premise?

Yeah, but why?

It's a premise for us. Hey, let's have a book with all female characters!

But in the Marvel Universe, how does that work?

She-Hulk: Let's go save the world!

Captain America: Sounds good!

She-Hulk: Oh, uh, you can't come. I meant women only. Because... reasons?

I'm also very skeptical of a mainstream comic company doing anything they label a "feminist utopia." Unless it's Paradise Island, I have a fear that doesn't to mean quite what Marvel thinks it means. I hope I am wrong, but there are just so many ways that could go wrong, as evidenced by... everything.

Fearless Defenders was a great read - but it had some of the lesser-known female characters. Perhaps Marvel saw something in FD but wanted to put more prominent women in it with a more recognizable team name. I have no idea if FD was cancelled because of low numbers or what, but myself and a few other people I know were bummed about it going away.

Marvel seems to be tipping towards that heavy-handed method of proving their are pro-female. Which is too bad, because they have a lot of titles that are female-centric that stand on their own without the conscious reinforcement of "Lookit! Lookit! We have GIRL comics, too!"

It's actually a shame that things like this have to be pointed out in such a hucksterish way. When you try to capitalize on a topic that should just happen naturally - it seems to cheapen the overall premise or goal. I read Red Sonja (IDW), FD and Captain Marvel because they were great reads - I didn't care if they were written by men or women, they have compelling characters, and that's what should matter to the reader.

Aside from this, I don’t know who is the artist on that promotional piece, but surely it’s bad: all the female characters look the same. Not even Manara with his "homogeneity" in drawing women in his X-Men managed to reach such an extreme.

Jim Cheung.

lol Yeah that's it.

Anyway, this Avengers team isn't as bad as it could have been. Could have been nothing but Deadpool and symbiote costumed characters.

lol