• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did minor restoration start getting blue labels?

125 posts in this topic

My understanding was that it would not get a PLOD if the glue was not judged to be used with intent to restore....ie if it was in such a place that it was deemed an accidental application. But what's confusing about this is that it is definitely noted as some form of restoration.....this is an odd one I think. confused-smiley-013.gif

I tried that already, but Tim disagreed and tried to make me look dumb.

Probably the easiest thing I'll do all day today. poke2.gif

True. You're going to spend the rest of the day in the john looking for your wang. poke2.gif

What are you talking about? John Wang sits right next door to me. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif I slay myself sometimes.

And I imagine he's a helluva lot easier to find, too. confused-smiley-013.gif

Brad, I don't care what Scott says about you, you DO have talent! That is so cool! 893applaud-thumb.gif

WTF does Scott know?.. he is just a stoopid lawyer.. poke2.gif

Ze-man goes back into hiding now----------> shy.gif

My understanding was that it would not get a PLOD if the glue was not judged to be used with intent to restore....ie if it was in such a place that it was deemed an accidental application. But what's confusing about this is that it is definitely noted as some form of restoration.....this is an odd one I think. confused-smiley-013.gif

This is definitely confusing b/c the presence of glue, even when originally used for restoration purposes, is not always assigned a PLOD. For example,

701077-More-Fun-52.jpg

As you can see, CGC merely noted the presence of glue, but not as restoration. Yet, the original existence of the glue was for restoration purposes. It appears that the amount of glue present can also affect the character of the grade assessment and description.

Now, before everyone starts getting their juices flowing about a prior debate involving this book.

Yes, this is the same MF#52 that sparked tremendous dialogue last Fall, especially from "Hammer", a/k/a "ComicKeys" a/k/a "Unknown Comic" or whomever else he has been accused of being. It was originally a restored CGC 6.5 but had the restoration "removed" and then granted a blue label as a CGC 5.5.

No, I did not buy it through the Heritage sale. I bought it after AND with FULL knowledge of the controversial history. Personally, I have no problems with a book going from restored to unrestored if whatever made it restored in the first place was removed. In fact, I spoke to Steve Borok at CGC before I purchased the book to find about what CGC knew of its history and the grading details.

No, while I am certainly not an expert, for the life of me I see no evidence of color touch. One of the best things about CGC is its graders' abilities and experience to detect restoration. I have no reason to believe that either any evidence of color touch was missed or ignored.

Yes, I have a SERIOUS problem with the perception of subterfuge the sale of this book received b/c of an apparent - but not proven - attempt to masquerade its original identity. It is from the Cage collection and it is the Rockford copy. I had nothing to do with the book prior to my purchasing it from its last owner, who informed me he was not aware of the origin. I am aware of some of the history of the book and who apparently had it removed from the original CGC holder but who did what and when I do not know.

Yes, I fully intend to have the holder reissued so that the label notes both Cage and Rockford. Anyone who has checked into my background knows I am an attorney who specializes in government openness and advocates against secrecy (Just take a look at www.JamesMadisonProject.org). I apply the same principles to my comic collecting and dealing.

FYI, I spoke to Borok today and suggested CGC either include in its census or separately on the website a list of all pedigree copies that had been graded and the respective grade the book received. Thus, if a pedigree later ends up being "pressed" or has restoration removed, everyone will know and can assess the degree to which they care.

Mark

Mark,

I recently saw a low grade GA key that was a blue label but it indicated that a dot of glue was holding the centerfold on? How does that not fall under a PLOD yet if I scrape rust off of staples it would likely get a purple label? I wish I kept a scan of it, I'm so confused? confused-smiley-013.gif

There was an Action #1 that went from a purple 4.5 to a blue 3.0(I think) when some glue was removed. Best Comics in Queens had the purple and I believe Metro ended up with the blue one.This was back when CGC was doing walk-thrus in Jersey.

I thought I had seen a SA book with a blue label that mentioned minor rest,but until now everyone has told me I was mistaken.

How many of you out there have read the Legion story in Adventure #247? - It is incredibly lame even for a late 50s DC! I'm amazed there was enough initial interest in the Legion to keep bringing them back screwy.gif

Still, it's a nice looking copy, date stamp and all.

FYI, I spoke to Borok today and suggested CGC either include in its census or separately on the website a list of all pedigree copies that had been graded and the respective grade the book received. Thus, if a pedigree later ends up being "pressed" or has restoration removed, everyone will know and can assess the degree to which they care.

How did he respond to that? I asked Mark Haspel that last year, and he said that since the owners of many pedigree books are known to the general public, they didn't want to publicly release pedigree grades because they think it would violate their client's privilege to keep the grades of their books private.