• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Fan Days -- October 16-18, 2015

86 posts in this topic

the constant of getting the same guests over and over again is silly too, but they are still doing it.

People still come and continue to spend money..... I wish they'd get some different talent in too, but I think they've found guests they know, are happy with the costs, and happy with the profits.

I will have to check and see if my cousins are doing their BBQ competition in October first.

Looks like it's the same weekend, but they're only two hours apart. Depending on scheduling, I could do both!

If they're going to call this show Dallas Comicon, then where are the comic names in that first wave? It's the same thing every show, tons of celebs, little comic talent (and many repeats for who they do get).

Guest list for Actors looks good especially off the coat tales of NYCC but there are still ZERO comic guests signed up or in talking to a few even fewer that have expressed they would be wiling especially after NYCC. Hopefully this gets some attention from comic guests.

Guest list for Actors looks good especially off the coat tales of NYCC but there are still ZERO comic guests signed up or in talking to a few even fewer that have expressed they would be wiling especially after NYCC. Hopefully this gets some attention from comic guests.

They still have 2+ months, but the complete lack of comic guests is disappointing.

Yep, this one has one hell of a hard time following a beast show like that. Most artists are in New York for a full week and if you attend a show like that you usually need a few days to recover. I truly hope this show finds someone because as of right now there usual comic focused show is feeling less like that.

There decision to follow on the coat tails of NYCC hurt this show something fierce. Had they even put a week in between the two shows I believe they would have had a greater turn out but from the talk I hear, all they are getting in response is "I wish it wasn't the week after NYCC"

There decision to follow on the coat tails of NYCC hurt this show something fierce. Had they even put a week in between the two shows I believe they would have had a greater turn out but from the talk I hear, all they are getting in response is "I wish it wasn't the week after NYCC"

So that probably means we'll get all the same local talent that has been to the show many many times before. That would be disappointing, but not a surprise.

Don't buy the timing excuse. If you start early enough you can put together a good guest list. For example here is a show in St Louis the same weekend. One week post NYCC didn't hurt them that much.

http://www.projectcomiccon.com

They may work in comics, but that list is a bit short on name recognition. Maybe it's just me.

Don't buy the timing excuse. If you start early enough you can put together a good guest list. For example here is a show in St Louis the same weekend. One week post NYCC didn't hurt them that much.

http://www.projectcomiccon.com

Is it bad that 4 of those names I was kind of hoping would be in Dallas...

Meredith Finch means David Finch is going to be either there with his wife or busy. Kenneth Rocafort is off my want list now, Matt Kindt would have been cool but again... gone, and Jeff Balke, while not huge in named guys is still a cool guy for colors is no longer going to just be there to chill out at his booth with. But hey Xena is coming, maybe I can get her to sketch something...

It seems to me that we pretty much know what to expect from these shows now. Fan Expo bought the shows well over a year ago, and if they were going to make any changes I expect that they would have happened by now. These lists have been entertainment heavy and comic light for years now, since we've been going, and I have baked that into my expectations going forward. They've generally sprinkled a nice surprise in there from time to time (Kelley Jones, Graham Nolan, Herb Trimpe, and I like seeing JRJR) that I can get excited about, but I'm not holding my breath. The shows are still fun, reasonably priced, and I generally find books from dealers I enjoy seeing. That tends to be more than I can expect from the average Wizard show.