• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Classics Illustrated

54 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me how to distinguish what printing?

Picked up a run of about 60-70 at an auction this week(including 1-7).

Found a chart online but it made no sense to me. It was like cracking the DaVinci code.

Thanks

I've only bought a few CIs for collecting purposes (although I read a lot of them as a kid) but I guess the key distinction is between first printings and later printings (of which there were many for some issues). The Overstreet guide has a helpful discussion.

Most first printings have an ad for the next issue. For issues 1-34, if the title is Classics Illustrated (rather than Classic Comics) you definitely have a later printing.

Later printings are distinguished by the last issue listed in the printed ad for back issues -- the number of the last issue listed is called the Highest Reorder Number (HRN).

There are some twists and turns, though, so getting ahold of a copy of Overstreet is a good idea.

Found a couple of issues of Classics yesterday.

HRN 128 - Possibly places the publishing date in 1955, at least based on the dates of #128 and #129. If someone knows for sure I would appreciate clarification.

CLASSICSX_76_zpsiqg0dyvr.jpg

1st printing from March 1955. I must admit to being surprised at finding a first printing and being excited having found it.

CLASSICSX_125_zpsv53ltzlu.jpg

Found a couple of issues of Classics yesterday.

HRN 128 - Possibly places the publishing date in 1955, at least based on the dates of #128 and #129. If someone knows for sure I would appreciate clarification.

CLASSICSX_76_zpsiqg0dyvr.jpg

1st printing from March 1955. I must admit to being surprised at finding a first printing and being excited having found it.

CLASSICSX_125_zpsv53ltzlu.jpg

Both nice books. Based on the HRN, the #76(128) is from late 1955. I also just confirmed with The Complete Guide to CI and The Classics Handbook.

I've only bought a few CIs for collecting purposes (although I read a lot of them as a kid) but I guess the key distinction is between first printings and later printings (of which there were many for some issues). The Overstreet guide has a helpful discussion.

Most first printings have an ad for the next issue. For issues 1-34, if the title is Classics Illustrated (rather than Classic Comics) you definitely have a later printing.

Later printings are distinguished by the last issue listed in the printed ad for back issues -- the number of the last issue listed is called the Highest Reorder Number (HRN).

There are some twists and turns, though, so getting ahold of a copy of Overstreet is a good idea.

.... I got my first spanking as the result of a Classics Illustrated comic. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... I got my first spanking as the result of a Classics Illustrated comic. GOD BLESS....

Please elaborate. I'm assuming you weren't an adult. lol

My friend Matthew Zetts and I had snuck out of the neighborhood and hoofed it across Six Forks Road to North Hills Mall (at the tender age of 8) and I snagged a copy of #26 while there. On the way back, I spied the nose of the family station wagon coming to the stop light about a block away. Matthew and I dove into the ditch to hide (as I had been forbidden to cross Six Forks....). A minute or so later I heard the crunch of gravel and the sound of a motor idling..... air compressor kicking on..... followed by my Father's voice, "Get out of that ditch son.....". After taking Matthew home, we returned to the house, where I was sent to my room while the rest of the family ate supper. Eventually, my Pop made it upstairs and asked me what I thought he should do. I said, "You can put me on restriction like last time ?"......to which he replied, "No, Son, that didn't seem to work.....".......and I'm sure you can imagine the rest of the story. GOD BLESS....

My friend Matthew Zetts and I had snuck out of the neighborhood and hoofed it across Six Forks Road to North Hills Mall (at the tender age of 8) and I snagged a copy of #26 while there. On the way back, I spied the nose of the family station wagon coming to the stop light about a block away. Matthew and I dove into the ditch to hide (as I had been forbidden to cross Six Forks....). A minute or so later I heard the crunch of gravel and the sound of a motor idling..... air compressor kicking on..... followed by my Father's voice, "Get out of that ditch son.....". After taking Matthew home, we returned to the house, where I was sent to my room while the rest of the family ate supper. Eventually, my Pop made it upstairs and asked me what I thought he should do. I said, "You can put me on restriction like last time ?"......to which he replied, "No, Son, that didn't seem to work.....".......and I'm sure you can imagine the rest of the story. GOD BLESS....

:applause: That's a great story.

javascript:%20void(0);

Great backstory jimbo! :popcorn:

Thanks for the info damonwad on issue #76. (thumbs u I picked up a couple more Classics today and will share those later.

:o:o(worship)(worship)

I mean really. I'd throw jimbo back in that ditch if it meant getting to one of those books before him.

Matthew and I were in the ditch, smiling with devilish grins, delighting in our "stealth"...... and then the gravel crunched...... lol I still remember it like yesterday. I did manage to stow the comic and consoled myself with it after the whipping. GOD BLESS...

:o:o(worship)(worship)

I mean really. I'd throw jimbo back in that ditch if it meant getting to one of those books before him.

Matthew and I were in the ditch, smiling with devilish grins, delighting in our "stealth"...... and then the gravel crunched...... lol I still remember it like yesterday. I did manage to stow the comic and consoled myself with it after the whipping. GOD BLESS...

At least you kept the Frankenstein comic and lucky for you your dad got there before the good Dr. Love.