• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Classics Illustrated

54 posts in this topic

Those are things of beauty. :applause::headbang::applause: Just think, lucky kids and parents used to see those in stores across America and the world.

Happy to have been one of those "lucky kids".

<a  href=https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8096/8459645274_80e22bf60b_z.jpg' alt='8459645274_80e22bf60b_z.jpg'>IMG CLASSIC COMICS #13

mm

A 7 pocket hanging wall rack and a 2 pocket sitting rack I filled with CI's.

Classics%20Illustrated%20Racks%20with%20comics_zpswlpaebsv.jpg

Great stuff. When I was a kid, there was a shoe repair store that my mother used that also had a rack of comics -- but only Classics Illustrated.

A 7 pocket hanging wall rack and a 2 pocket sitting rack I filled with CI's.

Classics%20Illustrated%20Racks%20with%20comics_zpswlpaebsv.jpg

Great stuff. When I was a kid, there was a shoe repair store that my mother used that also had a rack of comics -- but only Classics Illustrated.

When I was 8 or 9 I would have loved that store. I remember looking at the re-order lists on the backs of a small stack of CI's my dad had and marking all the issues I wanted.

It was depressing when he told me they didn't make them anymore. I read nothing but Marvel's after that.

And nice #13 Marty, one of the first horror comics.

A question, if I may... when I come across these in the wild, they're invariably VG or less, but I've never seen a copy missing its back cover. With 20+ prints of the early numbers, I'd assume a lot of people reordered back issues, but I've never seen a copy missing the reorder coupon. Why is that?

A question, if I may... when I come across these in the wild, they're invariably VG or less, but I've never seen a copy missing its back cover. With 20+ prints of the early numbers, I'd assume a lot of people reordered back issues, but I've never seen a copy missing the reorder coupon. Why is that?

Good point. Or more generally, a lot of comics had coupons on the back covers, but you rarely see copies with the coupons clipped. Not sure whether it's because not many people bothered to use the coupons or because books with the coupon clipped were less likely to be saved.

With Classics, it seems as if the stands that carried them often had a fair number of back issues, so maybe kids (or their parents) could buy as many as they cared to on the stands without the bother of mailing away for them.

Not a huge CI collector, but I couldn't resist this one.

lf_zps7q4yyhkh.jpg

Congrats, Sqeggs! Old label goodness! Big book, very undervalued imho. Any title containing the word "Negro" has great historical value. It's a very small club.

All-Negro Comics 1

Classics Illustrated 169 "Negro Americans"

Negro Heroes 1,2

Negro Romance 1-3

Negro Romances 4

Not a huge CI collector, but I couldn't resist this one.

lf_zps7q4yyhkh.jpg

Congrats, Sqeggs! Old label goodness! Big book, very undervalued imho. Any title containing the word "Negro" has great historical value. It's a very small club.

All-Negro Comics 1

Classics Illustrated 169 "Negro Americans"

Negro Heroes 1,2

Negro Romance 1-3

Negro Romances 4

lf_zpscjrzk0lh.jpg

Another copy -- also a 7.0 -- sold on CLink a couple of nights ago.

Ha! You said couple nights, I read couple years. Yeh that's my old book, someone took a hit on that sale - at least compared to what I sold mine for. But it's somewhat clear that my sale was an outlier.