• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers 1 vs Avengers 4

48 posts in this topic

In that poll Avengers 4 and Daredevil 1 are basically neck & neck. Does that seem about right?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8370573&nt=8&fpart=1

Yes, that seems about right, and I would put DD#1 slightly ahead of Av4 in importance.

I am surprised however,that Showcase 17 is getting no love.That's an iconic book with a great cover too.

In that poll Avengers 4 and Daredevil 1 are basically neck & neck. Does that seem about right?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8370573&nt=8&fpart=1

Yes, that seems about right, and I would put DD#1 slightly ahead of Av4 in importance.

I am surprised however,that Showcase 17 is getting no love.That's an iconic book with a great cover too.

...I love Adam Strange...... but only the Infantino Strange..... but some of my favorite memories of the 60's involve Rann, Alanna, and AS :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Show 17 is one of the great covers of the Silver Age. And a tough book regardless of grade. If Warner Bros ever announces an Adam Strange movie, that book will be a top 10 SA book in terms of market cap, considering its scarcity to other SA keys.

On February 11, 2015 at 8:47 AM, Chicago Boy said:

As a kid in the 70's and 80's I remember DD 1 ST 110 and TTA 27 being like the 3rd tier of collectible books from Marvel but considered key books nonetheless I don't ever remember Av 4 being considered like it is today. although extremely impt for a multitude of reasons relating to Cap it is not his first appearance and I think is being made up for in this way with SA collectors or because so many are priced out of the market with a Cap 1 . cap 1 prices are absolutely crazy and I don't see them falling back to Earth this book has probably taken over Marvel Comics 1 as the #1 Marvel book (timely) of all time even though I believe there are more available

Funny, I just re-read this old thread because the headline sucked me in and I thought, "No brainer #1 even though Avengers #4 is my favorite book. What am I missing?" I still think the majority will stick with #1, but I see the argument that the real Avengers begins with Cap. Someone said without Avengers 1 there's no Cap revival, but it could be argued that the title might not have lasted had they not come up with #4. So it could be viewed a little like Hulk 180 and 181, though reality is it won't.

I do think Avengers 4 and Flash 123 big as they are are still the most underrated SA keys for basically introducing the concept of linkage to the GA. I do have to wonder though, thanks to this thread, what the values would look like if the first and fourth Avengers stories as we know them had appeared not in a series starting with #1 but a converted title a la TOS 39 or JIM 83. Fun stuff to think about.

i quoted the above because my 70's and 80's recollection had TTA27 in a bigger weight class than DD1 and ST110, due to relative difficulty to locate. Before the Internet era, that was a legendarily tough early SA book to locate. The other Marvel bottom-feeder key as I remember it was Sgt Fury #1. 

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2015 at 8:21 PM, Unca Ben said:

My comment is just for the sake of discussion, as I've been curious as to the conversation Lee and Kirby might have had with the (inevitable?) return of Captain America to the silver age Marvel Universe.

Since Simon and Kirby originally left Timely because of monetary issues regarding the good Captain and there may have been some residual hard feelings on Kirby's part, maybe Stan was cautious about bringing the character up.

Captain America was more popular than the Human Torch or the Sub-Mariner, and sold more books in the golden age, yet Captain America was the last of the big three Timely characters revived in the silver age.

It may have been a delicate subject. Perhaps Stan waited for Jack to mention it first?

I think you may be on to something here! No way to prove it, but it sounds very plausible.

I remember reading something about the rights to the golden age characters would expire if they were not used.  I know Carl Burgos was so mad about the original Human Torch coming back in Fantastic Four annual #4 that he burned everything marvel/timely that he owned... 

all that original art...  I wonder what he had..