• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Never dismiss small show.

132 posts in this topic

If a comic shop offers $1 for IH 181 I personally think it's different than a collector at a garage sale or whatever.

An "older gentleman" with those books and you are fine only paying him $1 a piece?

I'm fine with not judging someone who did that.

Here is a link to the website of the show I bought at yesterday.

http://twinoaksshows.com/

He updates these and there are people with some comics that show up at even the sports card ones.

I used to set up at the one in the mall in Auburn and would do rather well.

My friend, who told me this story, sets up at all of them. The one who bought the books for $1.00 each sets up at these just to purchase and then takes all of the high dollar stuff to the major shows.

I set up at the Portland one. It's always pretty dead but hoping for the big score someday. In the interim, I got a nice Toledo Mud Hens jersey a couple of shows ago.

Here is a link to the website of the show I bought at yesterday.

http://twinoaksshows.com/

He updates these and there are people with some comics that show up at even the sports card ones.

I used to set up at the one in the mall in Auburn and would do rather well.

My friend, who told me this story, sets up at all of them. The one who bought the books for $1.00 each sets up at these just to purchase and then takes all of the high dollar stuff to the major shows.

I set up at the Portland one. It's always pretty dead but hoping for the big score someday. In the interim, I got a nice Toledo Mud Hens jersey a couple of shows ago.

Are you going to Rose City in Sept Bruce ?

An "older gentleman" with those books and you are fine only paying him $1 a piece?

Depends on what else was in the collection and what grade the keys are. If the keys were only GD-VG and there were a few thousand late SA/BA/CA commons in the same grade it may not have been worth it.

If a comic shop offers $1 for IH 181 I personally think it's different than a collector at a garage sale or whatever.

Comic shop owner is ripping him off and the collector is just getting a deal?

I think a business has a responsibility to be fair in their business an individual not so much but that's just my opinion.

I think a business has a responsibility to be fair in their business an individual not so much but that's just my opinion.

Double standard.

Both the seller and buyer have a responsibility to be informed. I once went to a local show, pulled a valuable comic out of a box and the dealer wanted to charge me $10 for it. I told him it was a really hot book and that he should check OPG. He did, and assigned a higher (although still very reasonable) value.

People need to educate themselves. If you don't then you run the risk of getting ripped off.

People need to educate themselves. If you don't then you run the risk of getting ripped off.

Valid, but I don't think I necessarily have a responsibility to educate others unless they ask for it. If someone asks for an evaluation because they don't know better, then the ethical thing to do is provide an honest evaluation/valuation. But if someone has already decided how much they want for something, I don't think it's my place or responsibility to question that. Just to decide if I'm willing to pay that price.

If the car dealership decides they only want $2,300 for $23,000 brand new car, who am I to say "I think you're charging too little for this". I might get a "scam" alarm going off in my head, but I sure won't decide to pay them the other 90% just because that's the price everyone else is paying for that car.

I mean, I might ask "are you sure? it seems a bit low", but if they're sure that that's what they want, I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Another thing to consider is that some people just don't care. They simply want to get rid of stuff. My wife is like that. If I were to kick off, she would likely dump my comics for almost nothing.

Difference between asking a price and offering a price. If a guy is asking $1 on the #181 at a show that's his decision, and his responsibility. He set his price. The shop owner offering a super lowball even though they know better, that is on them and their responsibility. Not a double standard. If you feel you're taking advantage of an asking price set by a seller you can always offer to pay more (I mean "you" in the general sense, not youmechooz or anyone else specifically).