• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Comics For Sale Advertisements From Inside SF

25 posts in this topic

Imagine instead of comics these were National Geographics or Life or Look or other Hollywood type Magazines. Comics and mags were probably seen the same back in the 50's in terms of collectibility. Asking 3x cover is a pretty good mark up. I'd love to sell my 2 year old Sports Illustrateds for 3x cover. Any takers? You never know what they'll be worth in 50 years.

Ed

This is a great thread!

In addition he was the owner of one of the early successful collector stores out there - Collector's Bookshop.

I drool whenever I read about the wonderful(and cheap!) Golden Age books that were available at the Collector's Bookshop in the 1960's. Gary Carter always had interesting stories about his collecting experiences there(and at the Cherokee Bookstore down the street from Collector's).

Imagine instead of comics these were National Geographics or Life or Look or other Hollywood type Magazines. Comics and mags were probably seen the same back in the 50's in terms of collectibility. Asking 3x cover is a pretty good mark up. I'd love to sell my 2 year old Sports Illustrateds for 3x cover. Any takers? You never know what they'll be worth in 50 years.

Ed

National Geographics is a bad comparison as everyone saved them. Pre-1900 issues are scarce. All other issues are very common. For many years I ran ads in the newspaper to buy old magazines. The majority of the calls were people with National Geographics.

Ed

National Geographics is a bad comparison as everyone saved them. Pre-1900 issues are scarce. All other issues are very common. For many years I ran ads in the newspaper to buy old magazines. The majority of the calls were people with National Geographics.

Not to sidetrack this thread, but which magazines are valuable, what kind of prices do really high-end magazines go for, and are magazine collectors as obsessive about grade and condition as comic and sports card collectors?

More buyer/sellers of comic books from Inside SF cicra '55/'56:

Alvar Appeltoft (Sweden!)

H.E.Beach

R. Fields

Claude Held

Joe J O'Brocta

J. Rabon

George H Scithers

Carl Sebok

Malclom Willits

Paul Zack

Much respect for these ground-breakers of the hobby!

Anyone know of any of these guys (I mean aside from Willits)? Did any of them go on the be early BSDs?