• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buyers who don't read descriptions

95 posts in this topic

Yeah, you can print labels like the priority mail ones for media, first-class, etc. if you use their Shipping Assistant program.

Shipping Assistant

I would be careful of using the priority boxes inside out - I've heard stories of the post office destroying the contents of said boxes. Not sure if they are true or just stories that are told just to frighten people, but I wouldn't risk it.

I believe I'm treading a thin line when turning the priority box inside out...another reason to be so frickin' nervous at the PO...this is why I'll most likely be going back to shipping priority for my auctions. wink.gif I'd like to save my buyers a buck or two, but then an ulcer wouldn't be all that great in order to do that. wink.gif

They are books, but sadly they contain 'advertising' which a normal novel doesn't. This is what bars a comic from being shipped in that manner. I don't agree with it and one might be able to talk their way around it if you were shipping 'older' books where the advertising doesn't have any impact.

What in the Bound Printed Matter regulations do you think would exclude comics? For everyone's reference, here's a link to the overview of Bound Printed Matter:

http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/senditwithintheus/domesticshippackages.htm

And here is the detailed description of restrictions:

http://www.usps.com/consumers/domestic.htm#bpm

Reading this description, it sounds to me like this service fits comics perfectly.

The part that gives me pause is the description for Bound Printed Matter. In particular section a:

Bound Printed Matter must:

a. Consist of advertising, promotional, directory, or editorial material (or any combination of such material).

I think, but I'm not sure, that this applies to things like advertising circulars, phone books, newspapers, etc.

Now that I think about it, can someone tell me what classification subscription magazines are sent under? That may be the closest thing to comic books.

What in the Bound Printed Matter regulations do you think would exclude comics?

The part that states "Contents are limited to permanently-bound sheets of advertising, promotional, directory or editorial material such as catalogs and phonebooks." is iffy. Unless a comic book story can somehow fall under "editorial". An interesting situaiton.

Idea!! If you are shipping Classics Illustrated cool.gif (and maybe Spidey Super Stories tongue.gif ) I don't think they have any advertising. That means it would fit the definition of Media Mail! smile.gif Classics Illustrated had advertising for upcoming issues, but I think that is classified as 'incidental' advertising and is explicitly allowed under Media Mail. ooo.gif

Now if the only thing I was selling was those books...... grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Matt,

You did make a mistake. When first to leave feedback, it's either + or -. No room in the middle. Neutrals are basically for responses to others leaving feed. I learned this the hard way just like you. Now, if I'm not satisfied with a deal but the seller was nice AND left me a positive AND the item's to cheap to bother with returning...THEN I consider leaving a neutral, or nothing at all.

Otherwise, it's either pain or pleasure. Most people I've dealt with see a neutral as being as bad as a neg. But then these same people think that getting a payment "reminder" (not a NPB) is like slapping their momma. Go figure.

Rick

Not meaning to be combative here but you did agree (by bidding) to the $10.00 shipping charge.

My opinion is that he didn't agree to any fixed shipping charges, because they aren't mentioned in the auction description, it's only mentioned in sellers about ME page.

I checked his other auctions and usually he says:

"Before bidding, please see my about me page for the terms of this auction."

Here's something strange if I understood this correctly: (taken from his payment, shipping & return policies description)

"Bidders agree that all disputes shall be settled in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, and any costs incured by seller to collect payment from bidder, or to defend against claim brought by bidder (including attorney fees, other legal fees and court costs) will be paid by bidder "

"...might be able to talk their way around it if you were shipping 'older' books where the advertising doesn't have any impact."

The only thing I've heard about this is that the advertising in older comics may still be "current". The guy at my post office once mentioned this, that ads for companies that are still around (Coca Cola, etc) are still considered "current" advertising even if the comic is 50 years old, thereby nullifying comics for Media Mail frown.gif I think that's bull, anyway.

Here is an email I received from the seller today (unsolicited I might add):

Subj:

Date: 2/24/2003 2:29:38 PM Pacific Standard Time

To: ummmseven@aol.com

You were a cheap chisling [!@#%^&^] from day one, and you should have left

sleeping dogs lie. Now, I'm gonna have some fun.

Here is my reply email to him:

Subj: Re:

Date: 2/24/2003 3:40:44 PM Pacific Standard Time

To: coinsandcomics@webtv.net

Thanks for the threatening email. I asked you nicely after I won the auction if you could ship it bookrate. I simply asked. You said no. I paid the $10, you paid $7 to ship the package, and pocketed $3 for overcharging me. You never even offered to rebate me some of it. Plus, I left you a neutral, and you reply with a negative. When you want to mess with someone, you really shouldn't send an email with your intentions. This will be forwarded to Safe Harbor, Ebay, AOL, and Webtv, so I wouldn't do anything too stupid. Plus, I'll be posting this on the CGC forum boards for everyone to see. Have a great day.

And finally, his reply to my above email:

Subj: Re: Re:

Date: 2/24/2003 4:44:32 PM Pacific Standard Time

To: Ummmseven@aol.com

Post this on the CGC site too, person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed bag. You knew my shipping charges

before you bid. If you didn't want to pay, you shoulndn't have bid. And

the only reason you eventually did pay (after three weeks) is because I

filed a non-paying bidder warning on your cheap deadbeat [!@#%^&^]. Also, the

book I sold you was another CGC overgraded piece of [!@#%^&^]. I'm glad you

got stuck with it, and I'm glad I made money on shipping and I'm glad it

pisses you off. And if you find my having some fun threatening, you

really are a Momma's boy.

Anyone think I was at fault now?? lol

Ummm...Arty...they are right in the item description...are you sure we are on the same page.... HERE it is in case you are reading the wrong description....

Notice the part that says... Priority mail shipping with insurance will be $10 from me to you.

Matt ol' good ol' Matt. Why didn't you contact the seller first? confused.gif Man a negative for a neutral! shocked.gif Sounds like an uneven trade to me.

I personally don't gripe too much on S/H costs too much because a friendly email to the seller usually gets the problem fixed. If it isn't fixed then I never buy from them again grin.gif